Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:39 AM

41 posts, read 119,915 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I've accepted a job in Cary, to begin May 1. I now have to find a home to buy, under $280K, suitable for two large dogs, so a fenced/fenceable backyard is a must.

Smaller home is good: think "empty nester." No kids.

I DO NOT want to spend my life commuting. Commutes <30 min during rush hour (7-8am, and 4-6pm) are a must.

I like older neighborhoods, not sprawling suburbs. Older construction (but post WW-II) is OK. I love university towns, having always lived in them.

I expect my non-work life will be centered in Raleigh, and largely doing outdoor rec things and working with Habitat for Humanity.

Can you suggest neighborhoods / areas / subdivisions? My house-hunting trip is April 2-10, and I want to close on a house QUICKLY (like, within 30 days).

Thanks,

GreyDawg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 07:47 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Greg,
There are too many to list in Cary.
And Cary is Big in area. Where will you work?

You are at a good price point for some of the older Raleigh neighborhoods.
Driftwood Estates in West Raleigh.
HiMount, Five Points
Right now there is a CUTE bungalow in Boylan Heights, on .25 acre.
You can find a ton of stuff.
Something might pop up around Cameron Village.
Many Et Ceteras....

Get your agent to set you up on a daily feed ASAP for the price and tyoe of home you seek.
Good stuff goes fast.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:19 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,409,725 times
Yeah, if you're working in Cary but want to avoid living in ultra-suburbia...and believe that you'll spend a good amount of time hanging out in the city areas of Raleigh then probably I would suggest areas of Raleigh to the west and southwest of downtown.

You mentioned that you like older neighborhoods...several fall in that area: Boylan Heights, Cameron Park, Oberlin, University Park, Pullen Park, among a few others. But if you want under 280k, then the further west from downtown, the better. Just be careful of any houses right up close to the NCSU campus, unless you don't mind having some partying college kids nearby.

But overall, west and southwest Raleigh seems like an ideal spot for you, to be right close enough for a short commute to Cary, but still be within the parts of Raleigh that aren't quite sprawling suburbia yet.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:53 PM

250 posts, read 1,246,186 times
GreyDawg,

Please let us know in what part of Cary you will be working--that does make a difference on the commute length. Also, what is a small houses for you? What size yard? Is there a certain style of house/yard you like best. Provide some more details and we can offer better insight!

Old 03-27-2007, 08:15 AM

I will be working in North Cary, near the Harrison Blvd/I40 exchange.

What is acceptably small? 1000sq ft -- 16oo sq ft.

Yard: 0.25 acre or more.

I like Bungalows, Capes, Ranches if they have a front porch.

Built since, say, 1945 if wiring etc have been upgraded. Built sicne 1960 if nothing has been brought up to code.

Also, with this location, should I be thinking Durham? And where is Holly Springs?

Old 03-27-2007, 07:24 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,409,725 times
Even given this, I'll still stick with my original suggestion. The areas on the west side of downtown Raleigh will give you the non-Cookie-cutter houses, older neighborhoods, and so forth. Commute shouldn't be more than half-hour (jetting out Wade Ave to where Harrison meets I-40) if not less.

Durham could be considered, especially if you want more house for the money. It'd probably increase your commute time.

And Holly Springs? No dude...if you don't want "sprawling suburbs" as you say in your original post, then Holly Springs is just as bad as Cary if not worse.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:13 PM

401 posts, read 1,624,466 times
Medfield Estates would be a great location for you. Very close to N.Cary, yet close to Raleigh too (near the RBC center). The neighborhood was built in the 60's with houses in the +/- 1500 to 2500 s.f. range and most of the lots are .50 to 1.0 acre range.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:44 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Just doing a simple search, in the Cary area, with l/3 of an acre and staying under $280,000, no new construction, I found 50 possibilities. I don't think you'll have a problem finding what you want.

Vicki

Old 03-27-2007, 09:48 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,916,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawg View Post
I will be working in North Cary, near the Harrison Blvd/I40 exchange.

What is acceptably small? 1000sq ft -- 16oo sq ft.

Yard: 0.25 acre or more.

I like Bungalows, Capes, Ranches if they have a front porch.

Built since, say, 1945 if wiring etc have been upgraded. Built sicne 1960 if nothing has been brought up to code.

Also, with this location, should I be thinking Durham? And where is Holly Springs?
There are tons of houses in Durham that would fit what you're looking for. Neighborhoods to search for include Watts-Hillandale, Trinity Park, Old West Durham, Old North Durham, Northgate Park, Duke Park.

However, as RaleighRob points out -- there's some driving involved. I-40 to Harrison Blvd. isn't too bad; it's a reverse commute too, since most drivers are going Wake -> RTP in the mornings. My wife has had to commute from our house in Trinity Park to Davis Drive & I-40 and that's about an 18 minute drive. Harrison/I-40 is about another 6-7 minutes up.

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Just doing a simple search, in the Cary area, with l/3 of an acre and staying under $280,000, no new construction, I found 50 possibilities. I don't think you'll have a problem finding what you want.

Vicki
Uhm.....doing a simple search where? on what website?

Sorry to seem ignorant, but I last looked for a house 13 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary