Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 AM

43,534 posts, read 77,582,430 times

Advertisements

Read all about it on the Wake County Revenue Department site.
There is contact information there, too, for additional information.

Program Information Sessions scheduled starting Monday, March, 9 and running through April.
First in Raleigh.
Then Zebulon.
Then Holly Springs.
Finally Wake Forest.

Tax relief is aimed at the Elderly, disabled elderly, and disabled veterans, with a cap on income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 12:31 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,930,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Program Information Sessions scheduled starting Monday, March, 9 and running through April.
First in Raleigh.
Then Zebulon.
Then Holly Springs.
Finally Wake Forest.

Tax relief is aimed at the Elderly, disabled elderly, and disabled veterans, with a cap on income.
Mike, most all people are facing a "cap on income" in this environment. That is actually a best case scenario, as many are facing no income at all, with no prospect for future work. But hey, their proerty tax bill, keeps going up and keeps coming just like the setting of the sun. Soon, we may all be in need of property tax relief, like it or not.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,357,894 times
Thumbs up Good Info

Quote:

First in Raleigh.
Then Zebulon.
Then Holly Springs.
Finally Wake Forest.

Mike,

Thanks for posting this. Although it does not affect me I think it is important that word get out to those who are affected. Have you seen this publicized anywhere else besides the Wake county website? I hope so. I would be disappointed to learn that such a program is not getting the publicity it needs to make sure the information is reaching the appropriate audience.

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Mike,

Thanks for posting this. Although it does not affect me I think it is important that word get out to those who are affected. Have you seen this publicized anywhere else besides the Wake county website? I hope so. I would be disappointed to learn that such a program is not getting the publicity it needs to make sure the information is reaching the appropriate audience.

Thanks!

NRG,
Actually, I only saw it because it was a very small advertisement on the back page of Section A of the N&O today, at the bottom, against the fold.
Thought it was worth passing on.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:49 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,930,514 times
Quote:
NRG,
Actually, I only saw it because it was a very small advertisement on the back page of Section A of the N&O today, at the bottom, against the fold.
Thought it was worth passing on.
Just keep in mind, that for every 10 people who qaulify for this exemption, means one teacher, one firefighter, one police officer looses their job. If it stops flowing from one end, it has to be made up on the other.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Just keep in mind, that for every 10 people who qaulify for this exemption, means one teacher, one firefighter, one police officer looses their job. If it stops flowing from one end, it has to be made up on the other.
Sheesh.... So I posted some news that may help some people, and hoped that some of our members may see it and recognize a program that may help a friend, acquaintance, or family member.
That's all.

It was not a political post.

However, since I have trod the path of life-long study of basic arithmetic, I am willing to offer up a cypherin' lesson post that you have spurred into action, as you seem to request.

You indicate that 10 people receiving a $787.50 exclusion will cost us a cop. Who but Barney Fife would do police work for $7875.00 annually?
Starting wages in Raleigh for police officers are about 4.3 times that amount alone. Raleigh cops start at $34,281.59 + bennies, as of September, 2008. (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_104398_0_0_18/Police_Recruitment_Information_Packet.pdf - broken link) And the bennies add a fair amount to the tab, likely making the multiplier about 7 to 1.
So if 70 people get the exclusion, we may jeopardize one public employee.

So if we go to the $1687.50 exclusion, 10 times that exclusion elevates Detective Fife to the lofty $16875.00 income level, exclusive of the cost of bennies. So if 20 people get that exclusion, we lose just less than the revenue of salary alone for one cop.

And 10 people getting a tax deferment of portion of their tax bill will not radically affect staffing of any of those public servants, I think.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 03-04-2009 at 06:44 PM..

Old 03-04-2009, 07:00 PM

553 posts, read 2,337,548 times
Quote:
Sheesh.... So I posted some news that may help some people, and hoped that some of our members may see it and recognize a program that may help a friend, acquaintance, or family member.
That's all.

It was not a political post.

However, since I have trod the path of life-long study of basic arithmetic, I am willing to offer up a cypherin' lesson post that you have spurred into action, as you seem to request.

You indicate that 10 people receiving a $787.50 exclusion will cost us a cop. Who but Barney Fife would do police work for $7875.00 annually?
Starting wages in Raleigh for police officers are about 4.3 times that amount alone. Raleigh cops start at $34,281.59 + bennies, as of September, 2008. (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_104398_0_0_18/Police_Recruitment_Information_Packet.pdf - broken link) And the bennies add a fair amount to the tab, likely making the multiplier about 7 to 1.
So if 70 people get the exclusion, we may jeopardize one public employee.

So if we go to the $1687.50 exclusion, 10 times that exclusion elevates Detective Fife to the lofty $16875.00 income level, exclusive of the cost of bennies. So if 20 people get that exclusion, we lose just less than the revenue of salary alone for one cop.

And 10 people getting a tax deferment of portion of their tax bill will not radically affect staffing of any of those public servants, I think.

Mike I agree with you. I think it was a nice gesture to share another way for some to find financial relief. I doubt that we would lose a public servant this way. Good old Washington will just print up some fresh bills and distribute them to all who ask.
I would like to add one more thing however, If the general public would take the "Fair Tax" idea seriously and send an e-mail to congressman David Price 4th district in North Carolina it wouldn't cost us anything and all of these complicated outdated tax laws/ideas would go in the trash where they belong.
Here is a link to a calculator which also has a link to send congressman Price with an e-mail showing your support for this idea if you agree. http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServ...ame=calculator
My calculator shows an extra 28,000 I could pump into Triangle businesses each year instead of paying it to the IRS. This issue of taxes affects all of us living in the Triangle as well as the whole nation and local involvement is key. If you disagree then I think a thread on the political forum about this would be interesting to read. I would also recommend that many of you dispute the home value that the assessors office assessed last year. You could save some $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary