Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:18 PM

26 posts, read 87,414 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about adding either a screened porch or sunroom on my home in Hillsborough. I am thinking something like 15X24. I currently have a smaller deck, but will need to rebuild it completely. I figure prices should be pretty cheap to have this done right now.

Any experience or recommendations for builders to have this done? I am not looking for anything highend, but don't want junk either.

Pros/cons of a screened porch vs sunroom?

Any ideas on cost per sq ft for either choice?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 01:24 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb996 View Post
I am thinking about adding either a screened porch or sunroom on my home in Hillsborough. I am thinking something like 15X24. I currently have a smaller deck, but will need to rebuild it completely. I figure prices should be pretty cheap to have this done right now.

Any experience or recommendations for builders to have this done? I am not looking for anything highend, but don't want junk either.

thanks
I can recommend a builder. Friends recently had a screened in porch built at it was around 15k. But I have no idea what add ons they had, etc.

Here is a builder I have heard very good things about:

Palmer Construction of NC, Inc.
David Palmer
7508 Clayshant Ct.
Wake Forest, 27587
Phone: 919-570-9517
Fax: 919-556-4799

Leigh

Old 02-21-2009, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 8,966 times
It's so hot in the summer and so buggy so I would vote for a screen porch!
I can strongly recommend Hance Construction Company in the Chapel Hill and Hillsborough area. (968 4800)

Old 05-21-2009, 08:16 AM

797 posts, read 3,579,750 times
I can tell you if you are going to be building a 15x24 screened porch (which is HUGE) that you will get no where near 15K if you have to have a new deck built too. Try 20K to start. I would say 20-25K. A sunroom would probably run closer to 30K or more at that size (360 sq feet)

Old 07-04-2009, 04:47 PM

35 posts, read 152,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
I can tell you if you are going to be building a 15x24 screened porch (which is HUGE) that you will get no where near 15K if you have to have a new deck built too. Try 20K to start. I would say 20-25K. A sunroom would probably run closer to 30K or more at that size (360 sq. feet)
My 18x18 with slate like tile on floating concrete floor, 4' high continuous brick foundation, solid brick columns, vaulted ceiling made of wester red cedar timbers, and 1.5" tongue and groove exposed roof decking is $24K I am doing the contracting.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:18 PM

770 posts, read 2,753,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb996 View Post

thanks
I had one built last year ( screen porch) and on the existing deck it was 15' x 15' and cost $12K nice construction I painted it myself saving a grand (..er, yes) 2 doors two sets stairs

Old 12-21-2009, 11:52 AM

10 posts, read 28,247 times
Default Screen Porch Experience

Who did you use as contractor for your screen porch, and you sound happy with the results even if you did paint it yourself!

Old 12-21-2009, 02:07 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,921,030 times
We used Joseph Grantham and he did both our basement (was unfinished before) and took our existing 40x12/8 deck and turned it into a half deck, half screened porch. Here is his info:

Joseph Grantham Custom Homes, Inc. - Wake Forest, NC, 27587 - Citysearch

I can not say enough good about him and his subs...we quoted the job several times over and he was the most responsive to start with, but during the job everything was EXACTLY as he said it would be. Always on time, always honest, always trustworthy. And very fair pricing. He is used to doing very high end homes, so our project was "small" for him, but he treated it like any $2-3M home he would normally build. The quality of his subs is amazing - we hired some of them back to spruce up the rest of the 1st and 2nd floor to match how nice the basement came out.

The porch looks like it was done at the same time as the house - nicer actually - but it integrates well and is solidly engineered and built. They put a lot of time and effort into quality...I've since recommended him to several friends who have begun porch projects after seeing ours. It's not as big as yours (our screened area is only 20x12) but he can do any size, of course.

I have no affiliation with him other than being a very happy and probably life-long customer from now on.

Some pics:

Old 12-21-2009, 02:40 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,840 times
I used Garuda Custom Decks for mine, and I'm extremely pleased with how it came out. I wound up getting a 12x16" screened porch with a 10x16" open deck.

This was right after it was stained (before the screens/gutters/etc.):

I know come the warmer weather I will be living out there! Best home improvement project I've ever had done, by far!

Old 12-21-2009, 07:40 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I used Garuda Custom Decks for mine, and I'm extremely pleased with how it came out. I wound up getting a 12x16" screened porch with a 10x16" open deck.

This was right after it was stained (before the screens/gutters/etc.):

I know come the warmer weather I will be living out there! Best home improvement project I've ever had done, by far!
I hope you have had gutters put on your new screened-in porch roof. If not, I would recommend it unless you want to replace the double door and any framing around it in a few years.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary