Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:03 PM

451 posts, read 1,655,549 times

Advertisements

So with that logic every school essentially becomes a private school, with tuition, fees, books, etc. People can't afford to send kids to private schools now. The only way to make it work would be to cut the teacher's salaries in half, but I'm guessing you'd be against that, too.

Personally, I think we should do away with property tax, but that's a different story.

If you think you have it bad, many areas in SoCal have Melaruse taxes, some even as high as $800/mo, with the money going solely to schools. This is separate from property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 12:07 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,194,747 times
With so many tax benefits for children, I don't see this helping curb overpopulation that is gobbling up good land and increasing the pollution of our environment.

For what its worth, my opinion is that the child benefits should be limited to a low number of children, no more than say three.

After that, the parents get no additional breaks and pay tuition to help offset their drain on the community.

Now, don't all kill me. Just my opinion.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:09 PM

321 posts, read 881,369 times
You're amusing. And I would have no issue with "coughing up a few bucks". But we're talking about approximately $1,800 bucks. Good to hear so many can part with that so easily for a "government service". I think I'll run over to my neighbor's house now so I can check over his kids' most recent grades. Hell, since I'm paying for it, I should go make sure they're doing well.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
You're amusing. And I would have no issue with "coughing up a few bucks". But we're talking about approximately $1,800 bucks. Good to hear so many can part with that so easily for a "government service". I think I'll run over to my neighbor's house now so I can check over his kids' most recent grades. Hell, since I'm paying for it, I should go make sure they're doing well.
Public education benefits everyone but costs need to be controlled.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:12 PM

43,396 posts, read 77,330,334 times
Quote:
You're amusing.
Gee, thanks!

Quote:
And I would have no issue with "coughing up a few bucks". But we're talking about approximately $1,800 bucks. Good to hear so many can part with that so easily for a "government service". I think I'll run over to my neighbor's house now so I can check over his kids' most recent grades. Hell, since I'm paying for it, I should go make sure they're doing well.
No problem here with that.
You might consider conducting your audit at the School level, though.

Too many of us, including myself, are uninvolved in the schools.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:16 PM

202 posts, read 951,199 times
Move you hypocrite. You said it yourself, you went to public schools.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:19 PM

321 posts, read 881,369 times
Gee, my neighbor just told me that his kids' school related information was none of my business!! What?? Don't I pay for the buildings they go to? The salaries of the people who teach them? The desks they sit in and the books they read? And its none of my business? Hmmmm....something is not right about this..... I'm not so amused anymore.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Gee, my neighbor just told me that his kids' school related information was none of my business!! What?? Don't I pay for the buildings they go to? The salaries of the people who teach them? The desks they sit in and the books they read? And its none of my business? Hmmmm....something is not right about this..... I'm not so amused anymore.
Welcome to political correctness in America. Only right taxpayers have is to bend over and pay up.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:27 PM

451 posts, read 1,655,549 times
Quote:
True story: I once asked a cop if I could drive his squad car because I paid for it with my taxes. I also asked to borrow his gun, because, well, it's mine. He told me, with a straight face, that I'd have to get in line behind the other 234,548 tax payers, and that my turn would roll around in, oh, about 12 years - which was coincidentally the day after his retirement. I like cops.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:46 PM

355 posts, read 959,237 times
Are they charging you extra for the taxpayer funded bridge you live under?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary