Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:39 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,068 times

Advertisements

In general I found Cary much more friendly than Raleigh. (Lived in Cary, worked in Raleigh...) Um, while I am white, my neighborhood in Cary had people from all sorts of different backgrounds, and they were pretty friendly.

I have a southern accent which is very similar to the Raleigh area accent, so would have "old Raleigh" folks who I encountered at work complain to me about all the newcomers (of which I am one However, they were always SUPER nice to the newcomers faces....

My husband had an awful time making friends at work (also in Raleigh) and eventually we decided we would have just been happier working in RTP or in Cary somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 12:44 PM

8 posts, read 17,529 times
Cary folks seem friendlier than Apex people,imo

Old 12-15-2008, 12:45 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themover View Post
I am moving to Cary, NC. Can you tell me more about Cary?
Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
The name says it all!!!

This town (suburb) is just as nice as anywhere north of Virginia. Don't expect a southern town with southern folks and you will be fine!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 12:56 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,543 times
Threads like this just crack me up. It should be titled "let me stereotype the world" One poster implying people from NY and Hispanics and folks from India who reside in Cary might not be nice. Another implying that the "old-southern" side of town is where the true nice folk are. Give me a freakin break. There are nice, rude and mean people ANYWHERE you go, period! Cary is no different, as is any other place you visit.

As some here have wrongly implied, only TRUE southerners can be nice, Trust me when I tell you, the twang in your voice, sweet tea on the porch, southern charm and good ole boy network does not automatically equal nice accepting people. Some of the most envious, hateful, racist people I've met since arriving here meet this criteria. Last I checked, NC is not a union, it is a state, one of 50 in a FREE country. You are not entitled to something just because you have been born and raised here, just like nobody else is where they live.

Threads like this crack me up. People are independently nice, rude or somewhere between. No county line makes it this way. It is an individual thing.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:26 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Threads like this just crack me up. It should be titled "let me stereotype the world" One poster implying people from NY and Hispanics and folks from India who reside in Cary might not be nice. Another implying that the "old-southern" side of town is where the true nice folk are. Give me a freakin break. There are nice, rude and mean people ANYWHERE you go, period! Cary is no different, as is any other place you visit.

As some here have wrongly implied, only TRUE southerners can be nice, Trust me when I tell you, the twang in your voice, sweet tea on the porch, southern charm and good ole boy network does not automatically equal nice accepting people. Some of the most envious, hateful, racist people I've met since arriving here meet this criteria. Last I checked, NC is not a union, it is a state, one of 50 in a FREE country. You are not entitled to something just because you have been born and raised here, just like nobody else is where they live.

Threads like this crack me up. People are independently nice, rude or somewhere between. No county line makes it this way. It is an individual thing.
Sho-nuff!!! Well daaaaaagum and I-deeee-clair. Why do dem yanks hate da soooooooouth!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:39 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The name says it all!!!

This town (suburb) is just as nice as anywhere north of Virginia. Don't expect a southern town with southern folks and you will be fine!!!
Try also Countless Anal Retentive Yuppies.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Is it just me, or does anybody else think the last three posters probably weren't invited to join the recent Mensa meet-up in Cary?

Old 12-15-2008, 01:55 PM

63 posts, read 153,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Cary is a sprawling town, about 15 miles long from SE to NW. It is mostly suburban.
The old downtown dates from the '60's when Cary was about 4,000 population, and most commercial growth has been driven by subdivision development that fans out from the old central business district.
Additionally, you will not find a true "historic district." Growth defines the town of Cary. Most homes and commercial buildings date from less than 25 years ago.
The preponderance of tract-built homes by national and regional builders makes the appearance of subdivisions very consistent, although older subdivisions built when effort went into saving mature trees are quite attractive.

Most retail services are in strip plazas, or office parks, as this has been the common method of development for the past 40 years.
You will drive for services from most Cary locations, unless you are very selective as to where you locate.
We have great medical and health care, with good access to world class services at university hospitals at Duke and UNC.

Access to Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill, the cultural, political, and educational leaders in the region is very good, although rush hour drives can be difficult. If you predict a regular trip to another town, you might take that into account when selecting a location in Cary.
Cary also is developing some venues, including the beautiful amphitheatre on Symphony Lake.

Parks and recreational facilities are scattered through town, some owned by the Town of Cary, and some by Wake County.
Bond Park is a centerpiece.
Many neighborhoods offer community swimming, tennis, trails, and playgrounds. You may also find a local swim club to join if you get into a neighborhood without a community pool.

If you end up purchasing a home, Cary's property tax rates ranks among the lowest in Wake County.

Yes, people tend to be friendly, and you can also find a sourpuss every now and then. We all come from the same gene pool as the populations of any town/city on Earth.

I still think you must be on their payroll (Town of Cary).

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The name says it all!!!

That about sums it up!!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:57 PM

63 posts, read 153,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Is it just me, or does anybody else think the last three posters probably weren't invited to join the recent Mensa meet-up in Cary?

Why, were you???

Your post seems a bit arrogant to me. You're no better than anyone else who has responded to this post.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:17 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post

As much as this sounds like a rant...i'd have to say I agree 100%. The Triangle in general is a very transient area so you really can't generalize the area's people as "friendly" or "unfriendly". There are some very nice people living in Wake County..and there are also some that are not-so nice...just like every other area of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary