Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2007, 10:08 PM

71 posts, read 202,155 times

Advertisements

After I graduate college I was thinking of moving to NC, maybe Cary. But I have a few questions: How difficult is it to get an Apartment in the City? Also what is the attitude towrds gay people there? Because it would be me and my boyfriend moving into a one bedoom apartment, would that cause problems? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 03:47 AM

71 posts, read 202,155 times
Also what kind of city is it? With over 100 thousand people I'm assuming its a bigger city, skyscrapers, shopping, etc. is that about right? thanks

Old 02-28-2007, 04:45 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogStar5988 View Post
Also what kind of city is it? With over 100 thousand people I'm assuming its a bigger city, skyscrapers, shopping, etc. is that about right? thanks
Cary's more a Plano, TX than an Arlington, VA... more suburban, less urban. In the long run, Cary will probably add skyscrapers and the like as they add urban density, and downtown Cary is growing... but still more a suburban feel.

I don't think you'd catch guff as a gay man with partner in Cary. Typically, the areas listed as most "gay-friendly" in the Triangle are Carrboro, Chapel Hill, and Durham. You would find more of an urban experience in Durham and an 'urban village' experience in Carrboro, a progressive funky town with a very walkable, liveable downtown. Chapel Hill is home to UNC and is a big college town.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2007, 05:43 AM

98 posts, read 637,285 times
Not sure Cary is the place for a Gay couple - as BCR said Carborro, Chapel Hill or Downtown Raleigh would be better

mind you in Cary, you wouldn't have to think about Trick or Treaters !!

Old 02-28-2007, 06:03 AM

106 posts, read 733,455 times
Chapel Hill fits the bill for gays / lesbians entirely moreso than Cary. Finding an apt. there wouldn't be difficult at all, and it's a smallish (albeit happening) college town that's near basically everything you could ask as far as entertainment / nightlife goes.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:41 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
Well the post confused me at first cuz you say Cary, then you say "City". I can never see Cary as a "city"...town or suburb is more what they are. Just cuz they have 100k people don't mean nothing...they're still a suburb of Raleigh.

I've never known any gay folks to be really happy in Cary....it's very very oriented towards the "married straight couples with lots of kids" crowd.
Everything for LGBT people around here is in the urban cores of Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill/Carrboro. (Those are the "Three Cities" that make up The Triangle.)

As for finding an apartment in any of those cities, you should do fine. There are even some neighborhoods and apartment complexes that are in particular more popular among local gays to live in. If you need to know, send me a PM and I'll find out for ya.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary