Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 08:32 AM

140 posts, read 421,400 times

Advertisements

For those who have been here for a few years, do you feel that massive migration from the north and west has slowed down a bit or is it still the same?? What are your thoughts.
I think it did, lack of jobs, housing market etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 09:26 AM

67 posts, read 203,256 times
No way, I counted about ten moving trucks headed towards Raleigh yesterday morning on my way to class. I think it has pretty much stayed the same.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:44 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,365,487 times
I think it has a bit b/c many people out of state are having a hard time selling their house. I think compared to the last five years it may slow down a bit, but the area will continue to grow.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:58 AM

577 posts, read 1,908,726 times
There is no doubt it has slowed almost as much as 50% less. The former year was a freak of the market with people selling high and buying low,which worked out for some but no the market is no where the same as then,and the reality of jobs has taken affect and turned off the flow. I do not think we will every see the huge surge of 2007 again but we will see a trend towards a more controlled migration, when jobs and the market recover,but for now it will continue to decline as jobs become scarce reduce work forces and competition is so high for whats left.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:10 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,378,057 times
I've lived in Raleigh/Cary for the last 30 years.

We have ALWAYS had growth. We have ALWAYS had people moving in from other areas, due to job relocations, family, way of life, etc.

It has slowed down, due to others not being able to sell their homes and it has slowed down due to homeowners in the area not wanting to move up, with the market being what it is.

I don't expect it will stop anytime soon.

I'd love to have a full 2 days off!!!

Vicki

Old 11-21-2008, 11:19 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,935,884 times
I think it probably has slowed down, but if it has not yet, I can tell you for sure, it will slow down in the future. People will not give up their jobs to move and their homes are not selling in other places so that they can move here.

On the horizon? Is there an end to this mess are we heading into the perfect storm? All the indicators say we are. Unemployment is increasing, far less spending, more business failures by the day, more homeless people flooding our social systems, more need for social services, but less taxes to pay for them. Because of foreclosures and unemployment at the same time the population ages and needs more social services and SSI, this system will break down too. This could be far worse then the great depression. Why? We have a shirnking tax base, aging population and no at home resources and things we produce anymore. In the 30s we were the world's oil supplier, if you can believe that. This could get really bad as in people starving in the street and millions homeless, with no infrastructure to bail people out. Coming to you in 12-18 months.

This, my firneds is what happens when you build an entire economic system based on credit and circulating money system, with no production of goods.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:49 AM

451 posts, read 1,658,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I think it probably has slowed down, but if it has not yet, I can tell you for sure, it will slow down in the future. People will not give up their jobs to move and their homes are not selling in other places so that they can move here.

On the horizon? Is there an end to this mess are we heading into the perfect storm? All the indicators say we are. Unemployment is increasing, far less spending, more business failures by the day, more homeless people flooding our social systems, more need for social services, but less taxes to pay for them. Because of foreclosures and unemployment at the same time the population ages and needs more social services and SSI, this system will break down too. This could be far worse then the great depression. Why? We have a shirnking tax base, aging population and no at home resources and things we produce anymore. In the 30s we were the world's oil supplier, if you can believe that. This could get really bad as in people starving in the street and millions homeless, with no infrastructure to bail people out. Coming to you in 12-18 months.

This, my firneds is what happens when you build an entire economic system based on credit and circulating money system, with no production of goods.
You're just a ray of sunshine, aren't ya?

Old 11-21-2008, 12:15 PM

3,502 posts, read 6,198,031 times
I, for one, don't mind reading all viewpoints on this board. I don't want every post to blow sunshine up my ***. I appreciate the fact that CarolinaCowboy will say some things other people won't. Life isn't all wine and roses sometimes, and it doesn't hurt to acknowledge that.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:16 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,398,804 times
Yes, I think it has slowed down somewhat. However it is all relative. It may have slowed down, but it hasn't stopped all together. I think at one point Wake County was averaging something like 80 new residents a day. So even a 50% reduction still means there are dozens moving here daily on average.

The other thing to consider is this. Whenever a thread like this comes up people tend to focus on transplants with homes to sell in other states before moving here as if they are the only source of new people to the area. While they do play a large role, it would be silly to ignore the fact that not everyone moving here has a home to sell back where they are from. And lets not forget about the thousands of graduating college students the universities are churning out each semster. They need somewhere to live too, and not all of them plan to move back into their parent's house after gradutating college. Even if you are young and strapped for cash and simply work in the service industry while trying to land your first "career job" there are lots of affordable apartments in this area so moving here does not mean you are obligated to buy a house.

So yes, it has slowed down somewhat, but I don't expect it to stop any time soon.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:29 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,378,057 times
So...from what I have seen...in the last 2 weeks...

I have helped one first time homebuyer that has lived in this area for 3 years and I have helped 2 buyers from another state (NY) that sold their homes and purchased home here.

Two in North Raleigh, one in Wake Forest.

So...homes continue to sell...buyers continue to buy...sellers continue to sell.

What is that saying...if we build 'em, they'll come and buy 'em?!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary