Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 05:20 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassy View Post
We live in a heavily wooded & older sub-div. in Clayton, our house backs up to a woods line with fields on the other side, and i've never seen a mouse in the house. We do have a lot of moles in the yard.... but no mice that I know of.
Uh oh....you'll give the OP something new to worry about!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 06:00 AM

546 posts, read 2,417,076 times
acebritty, you mentioned screened in porches and bugs... Many screened in porches down here have screens under the floor to keep the bugs out. Not 100% but helps a lot!

Old 06-07-2007, 05:45 PM

89 posts, read 417,176 times
Default Mice

Okay, now I've had two this year. Who do I hire to seal whatever holes they are coming in permanently?? I don't like poison and traps and the like. I just want them outside and me inside. My next step of home improvement will be renting a cement truck and running a hose to attic, walls, crawlspace...

Last edited by mariegirl; 06-07-2007 at 06:19 PM..

Old 06-07-2007, 06:36 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
I sold a home that had mice droppings in the cabinets but the home had been vacant for months.

When we did the home inspection and termite inspection, the termite/pest guy said he charges $55 to get rid of all mice. Money well spent!

As for mice being everywhere...I've lived in my current home for 18 years and had ONE baby mouse, in the garage, when there was construction in the area. I guess they are being disrupted, as well as the deer.

Daughter and I did not want hubby to kill the baby mouse but neither did I want it to feel welcome enough to come INTO the house!

Hubby said he'd take care of it...he did...we didn't ask how!

Vicki

Old 06-07-2007, 07:32 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,595 times
Wait until you see a wood roach run across your floor! That'll freak you out.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:29 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,345 times
We've been in NC a year now with woods all around and haven't seen a mouse.

No moles either (I'm in Clayton).

Maybe the snakes are eating them all...lol.
Lauren

Old 06-07-2007, 09:15 PM

89 posts, read 417,176 times
I was born and raised here and I'm 33 and never seen a mole! I've seen a gazillion mole "hills", but never a mole.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:59 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,463 times
They're cute. play terror on your lawn, but cute.
Cats'll catch them too.
myself? Clayton- wooded area, (deer, groundhogs, voles, rabbits)
Haven't seen one mouse. but, wouldn't be surprised by it either.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:09 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipL View Post
They're cute. play terror on your lawn, but cute.
Cats'll catch them too.
myself? Clayton- wooded area, (deer, groundhogs, voles, rabbits)
Haven't seen one mouse. but, wouldn't be surprised by it either.

I've also been in my house for 5 years, and never once saw any mice or droppings, and I also live next to a wooded area. But we also have several outdoor cats around us.

However, I do have....
Deer
Fireants
Many different kinds of snakes
Snapping turtles
Crayfish (they tunnel under my lawn near my creek)
Goats (not kidding! saw them in my back yard one day....think they got loose from a farm nearby)

Old 06-08-2007, 12:47 PM

306 posts, read 1,192,357 times
If you want to get RID of mice and have pets or small children and don't want to have pesticide around, try this - IT WORKS!

Take some instant mash potatoes, right from the box, dry. Put some on paper plates or old jar or plastic lids and set them in spaces where you have seen mice or their droppings. They eat the dehydrated potatoes (and they do love them) and it actually dehydrates the mice and they die. If they die in hard to reach places don't get all nasty like they do with DeCon. Since this is not poisonous to kids or pets, you don't have to worry.

We found this out when an old neighbor built cages for his new homing pidgeons. And of course where there are bird cages there is bird seed, which of course attracted mice to the area. So when the neightbor moved, the mice had no food and spread out int he neighborhood. We got them and so did the neighbors on the otherside of the property. I don't remember where I read about the dry potatoes, but we used it and haven't seen a live mouse in a long time. We have dogs and didn't want to chance them getting into poison so ta-dah!! No more mice and Ta-dah!! dogs were ok.

Char
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary