Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 AM

231 posts, read 495,916 times

Advertisements

All of a sudden have problems with both. Any recommendations for companies for a home in the Southpoint Mall area. Currently using a company that pumps in chemicals in the walls from outside, but not happy about these new arrivals.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-22-2012 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,170,804 times
For ants, usually all I need to do is sprinkle diatomaceous earth around windows, doors, sink drains, etc for a week or two. After awhile they give up trying to enter. For mice I would try to figure out their port of entry and shut it down. The chemicals will work in the short run but when it gets cold again they'll be back.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:35 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,487,877 times
Ditto the diatomaceous earth. It works really well and is perfectly safe. Make sure you get the kind that is food grade, not used for swimming pools. You can find it in garden centers. I can't remember where I've seen it in Raleigh. We've always used DE sprinkled all the way around the house, but I bet just in front of doors/windows works, too. It creates a barrier that ants won't cross (or bedbugs! sprinkle around bedposts if you have a problem with them.) so you have to reapply if you use it outside and it rains.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:21 PM

839 posts, read 2,530,758 times
I noticed some mice droppings in my garage about a month ago. Got a box of stick pads from Lowe's and put a dab of peanut butter in the middle. Caught 3 of them in 2 days and no more have appeared. Was amazed how well the pads work. For ants, those little bait feeders work well. There will be a huge trail of ants to the feeder for a couple days and then they'll disappear since they take the fluid back to the nest and it kills the colony.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:36 PM

650 posts, read 932,994 times
For sweat ants (tiny back) we put down liquid Terro Ant Killer. Put a drop on a glossy square of cardboard and in an hour it will look like it grew eyelashes. Only, don't put down the liquid and then spray the crap out of it with poison like my SO did because she "refused to live with ants in the kitchen". Put the liquid down and tell them to bring all their relatives. You will have a stream of ants for about three or four days. Then they will be gone. Until next year.

For the mice: Do you have bird feeders? Mice like bird feeders. And if you get a lot of mice- snakes like mice. Get it? Thisle is the aswer here in case this applies.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:10 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,547,400 times
Do it yourself.
Do It Yourself Pest Control Products Online | Professional Pest Control Products |Supplies
Maxforce for the ants and snapper traps for the mice. Put peanut butter in the traps.

Mini T Rex Mouse Snap Traps Mice Traps

Old 02-22-2012, 05:57 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,199,307 times
Our cat monsters make sure no mice dare to enter.

When one dared to enter my daughter's apartment, Connie had it in her mouth in minutes. She dropped the mouse alive and it never returned.

The sugar ants were controlled by exterminating the holes where the drain pipes went through the kitchen walls.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:27 AM

814 posts, read 2,010,224 times
We had ants this summer that we just couldn't get rid of with the regular dcon type traps. Our extermintor recommended Terro and that did the trick.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:44 PM

569 posts, read 1,980,948 times
For ants, the Terro seems to work best for me. Takes a while to work, but they carry it back to their colony and it eventually kills them all. I put a bunch of it under my crawlspace at the first sight of ants and it keeps them out of the house.

For mice, a good snap trap baited with peanut butter works great and is much more humane than the glue traps. With the glue traps you either have to dispose of a live mouse or wait til it dies of dehydration and exhaustion. With a modern snap trap they are dead in an instant and never know what hit them. I had some in my garage, put out 4 of these from Home Depot baited with peanutbutter, caught 3 mice in one night and never saw any more signs of them. Home Defense MAX Press 'N Set Mouse Traps (2-Pack)-0321110 at The Home Depot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary