Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 08:18 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,622,906 times

Advertisements

We spent the last 5 days visiting for the first time.I had pre conceived ideas of Cary as ugly and sterile and I went there kicking and screaming as I insisted we were NOT going to live in such a Stepford-stripmall-sub division place,,,weeelllll,,It was nice,very nice.It may have been one of the CLEANEST towns I have ever seen,,,visited Cary Academy and was wowed.Was a very nice community from an observers view point(its on my list now),,I am not a "sub division gal",,but Cary was very nice...LOVED Chapel Hill,charming,beautiful University,nice town,,but our $$ did not buy a whole lot in MY desired area (around Franklin and UNC) thought the areas we were steered to were not that great (FOR US) The Preserve( pretty dull looking,,whats there besides the sub division?) and Jordan Lake area,a little too remote,,and I am sorry,but I am having trouble with those BROWN CHOCOLATE lakes,,spooky and ugly,,,how many gators are in there??? Hillsborough was nice, small,but very nice.Stayed at the Millinium Hotel in Durham which was nice,,,and most importantly,,the people we met all over were LOVELY,,very nice,sweet,I so enjoyed meeting you!!.....We visited Willmington,,,wonderful Historic district,,but not so great in many other areas,,,,,,the rest of the time at Wrightsville Beach...Great!!! and we had that big,clean white sand beach to ourselves,,yes I KNOW its not like that usually so it was nice to sight see during that time...all in all,you are very nice folks in that part of the state,,,,and SHAME on the people who litter the hi -ways,,,,tsk,,,I have only seen that much road side trash in NY!! and that city is HUGE compared to your population,,,,,who is doing that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 08:33 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,673,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
We spent the last 5 days visiting for the first time.I had pre conceived ideas of Cary as ugly and sterile and I went there kicking and screaming as I insisted we were NOT going to live in such a Stepford-stripmall-sub division place,,,weeelllll,,It was nice,very nice.It may have been one of the CLEANEST towns I have ever seen,,,visited Cary Academy and was wowed.Was a very nice community from an observers view point(its on my list now),,I am not a "sub division gal",,but Cary was very nice...LOVED Chapel Hill,charming,beautiful University,nice town,,but our $$ did not buy a whole lot in MY desired area (around Franklin and UNC) thought the areas we were steered to were not that great (FOR US) The Preserve( pretty dull looking,,whats there besides the sub division?) and Jordan Lake area,a little too remote,,and I am sorry,but I am having trouble with those BROWN CHOCOLATE lakes,,spooky and ugly,,,how many gators are in there??? Hillsborough was nice, small,but very nice.Stayed at the Millinium Hotel in Durham which was nice,,,and most importantly,,the people we met all over were LOVELY,,very nice,sweet,I so enjoyed meeting you!!.....We visited Willmington,,,wonderful Historic district,,but not so great in many other areas,,,,,,the rest of the time at Wrightsville Beach...Great!!! and we had that big,clean white sand beach to ourselves,,yes I KNOW its not like that usually so it was nice to sight see during that time...all in all,you are very nice folks in that part of the state,,,,and SHAME on the people who litter the hi -ways,,,,tsk,,,I have only seen that much road side trash in NY!! and that city is HUGE compared to your population,,,,,who is doing that???
I have never heard of gators in the Lakes around here. Inland lakes in areas of red clay are going to show it. It's not ugly.....it's geology.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:37 PM

120 posts, read 631,886 times
Default re

Hey, there's a really nice McDonalds in Cary. Seriously, nicest one I've seen in my life. It has a Starbucks inside of it too. Next time you go, try to check it out. It's like..."high class" fast food.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:39 PM

Sorry,your right,,Ugly/chocolate = harsh words.I really did like how there was no housing crowding around the lake as we saw in Charlotte,it was all protected there,or seemed to be..I used to live in Oregon,so I should not assume all lakes look like that...My gator thought was because I visited the aquarium by Carolina beach and they really spooked me

Old 02-20-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awakenthesun22 View Post
Hey, there's a really nice McDonalds in Cary. Seriously, nicest one I've seen in my life. It has a Starbucks inside of it too. Next time you go, try to check it out. It's like..."high class" fast food.
ummmmm ok,,,I will open my mind to fast foods along with my opening sub division mind.HEY,,am I turning into a Stepford wife now

Old 02-20-2007, 08:53 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,261,264 times
I had clients that came from Long Island. Wife didn't want to go to Wake Forest because of the "forest" in the name!

She just assumed it was going to be all wooded and rural.

Then we checked into Heritage and she loved it!

So...reading these posts are great but again...whose opinion matters???

YOURS!

Vicki

Old 02-20-2007, 09:04 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,673,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I had clients that came from Long Island. Wife didn't want to go to Wake Forest because of the "forest" in the name!

She just assumed it was going to be all wooded and rural.

Then we checked into Heritage and she loved it!

So...reading these posts are great but again...whose opinion matters???

YOURS!

Vicki
Really? LOL....that is funny. Lot's of Long Island folk in Heritage...she certainly won't be without peers.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:35 PM

137 posts, read 607,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Sorry,your right,,Ugly/chocolate = harsh words.I really did like how there was no housing crowding around the lake as we saw in Charlotte,it was all protected there,or seemed to be..I used to live in Oregon,so I should not assume all lakes look like that...My gator thought was because I visited the aquarium by Carolina beach and they really spooked me
There are gators that do exist in the wild in North Carolina. The good news is that you probably won't see any of them anywhere near Raleigh - their habitats are mainly in the far eastern, marshy, coastal parts of the state. (i.e., Alligator River Wildlife Refuge) I'm no wildlife expert, but I just happen to know that they are there.

In regard to the trash comments earlier on this thread, I whole-heartedly agree. It's a horrible black mark on the state and the people who live here. WRAL news just recently did a feature on the roadside litter problem, and that is no surprise because it's gotten so bad. The roadside trash I see here is about the worst I've seen anywhere in the country. And it's WORST in the rural areas! Ironically, I was behind a household waste truck today that was picking up trash; as this thing is lumbering down the road, plastic bags and papers are blowing and billowing out of the top of it and landing on the roadside. If I load a pickup truck with junk and take it to a landfill uncovered, they'd hit me with a fine - and this mess is happening daily??? It's inexcusable.

I just read that there is a proposal to add a deposit on items like soda cans and bottles in an attempt to reduce the trash problem. There are some valid reasons why people would be against the idea, but I'm so sick of seeing trash along the road that I'm heavily in favor of it. Something needs to be done. There should be heavier fines for littering, as well. North Carolina is blessed with an abundance of natural beauty and it's an embarrassing shame to see it ruined.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:24 AM

55 posts, read 211,246 times
Default trash

north carolina never had a trash problem until we had a growth problem. The natives never have nor never will produce the trash. The facts are the facts.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:42 AM

237 posts, read 1,029,906 times
details on the McDonalds in Cary please? If I HAVE to go to McDonalds with the kids, I might as well enjoy a nice cup of coffee! Where exactly in Cary is this McDonalds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary