Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:30 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,422 times

Advertisements

According to October's Bon Appetit magazine, America's Foodiest Small Town is ...
Durham-Chapel Hill.
America's Foodiest Small Town: In the Magazine : bonappetit.com

Okay, so it's pretty strange that they chose to combine two Triangle towns & tried to pass it off as just one. I can't quite understand how they managed to justify that in their own minds, but I think it shows just how closely interwoven the towns are in this area. Despite that confusing note, the article is very interesting & demonstrates why a lot of food lovers enjoy living here in the Triangle. The article focuses on locally-grown vegetables with a brief mention of local meats & dairy. Our many local farmers' markets are mentioned, of course, as well as area restaurants that incorporate local foods into their offerings. The article includes 6 recipes from Triangle establishments including Piedmont, Parker & Otis, and even Locopops.

In addition to the article, the Bon Appetit website has a list of local restaurants and photos from around the area.
"Where to eat in America's foodiest small town": The BA Foodist: Blogs & Forums : bonappetit.com
"Photos from America's foodiest small town": The BA Foodist: Blogs & Forums : bonappetit.com

I believe this issue is still for sale, but if you want to own it you better pick it up quickly. The big November/Thanksgiving issue will be out soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 09:59 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
I guess Bon Appetit has a different view of what "small town" means than I do.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:02 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,164,607 times
Aaargh, that drives me nuts when they do that. Raleighdurham is not a place. Durhamchapelhill is not a place. RDU is not a place. Drives me nuts!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:30 AM

675 posts, read 1,832,908 times
Oh, for god's sakes, who cares? The point is, this area is being recognized, deservedly so, for having some darn good restaurants.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:44 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,698,751 times
Both are technically cities anyway. CH just likes to call itself a town.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:48 AM

89 posts, read 306,357 times
Having moved to NC recently from out of state, youd be surprised to see online when youre reviewing areas, looking up things, etc...how Raleigh is considered "Raleigh-Durham" all over the net. When we moved here my husbands job that he transferred with is at Duke University and Im wayyyy out of that direction being in Raleigh. But alot of sites online consider Durham/Cary/Apex and some others to be suburbs of Raleigh. In my oppinion, Id be happy to know they mentioned my town with no complaints. Does calling it Raleigh-Durham really get under your nerves this much? No offense but when little things bother people so drastically, its time to find a hobby! (ok ok, I will admit when I hear people calling 540 or 40 "the 540 or the 40" it bugs me) lol Laugh it off people and be glad they mentioned this area

Old 10-16-2008, 11:16 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
Its a great article! I think they based their rankings of "small towns" by MSAs under a certain population. Raleigh is its own MSA and Durham-Chapel Hill is a separate MSA, so that's why I think it focused on both towns.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:29 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefrontgirl View Post
Does calling it Raleigh-Durham really get under your nerves this much? No offense but when little things bother people so drastically, its time to find a hobby! (ok ok, I will admit when I hear people calling 540 or 40 "the 540 or the 40" it bugs me) lol Laugh it off people and be glad they mentioned this area
Yes, it does get ON my nerves. And I have hobbies, thanks. I believe I'm entitled to a little pet peeve, thankyouverymuch. Those of us who have lived here for a long time are proud of the wonderful individual distinctions that each of the major cities in this area possesses. I find it insulting when people don't bother to grasp this simple concept. Or worse -- grasp it but continue to perpetuate the misperception that this is one big homogeneous political, geographical or cultural entity. It's like having the pastor repeatedly use the wrong name for your father's funeral.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:33 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
Oh, for god's sakes, who cares? The point is, this area is being recognized, deservedly so, for having some darn good restaurants.
You say that like it's a good thing. Articles like this just entice even higher rates of population explosions in NC - I esp hate the "best places to live" ones.

I'd much rather articles come out saying other states are great, NC stinks etc. My ego can easily withstand the criticism (esp as I consider those articles meaningless in their opinions anyway) and the fewer people moving here the better.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:36 AM

528 posts, read 1,462,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
It's like having the pastor repeatedly use the wrong name for your father's funeral.
Really???

I'd take the town mis-referenced over using the wrong name for my father at his funeral any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary