Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2007, 06:43 PM

6 posts, read 17,267 times

Advertisements

My family is coming to the Raleigh area from LI to look at communities this weekend. We are trying to narrow our search. We are looking to move in 2008/spend $350-450/great schools and fun, young family oriented community. Kids are 12/9/7. We are 40's. Need recommendations. Thanks. KC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 06:05 AM

4 posts, read 13,200 times
Default RE: Exploratory Trip to Raleigh, NC

There are so many great areas.
Maybe you should narrow the search by asking a couple questions:
Do you know where you/spouse will work?
Do you care to live closer to work or would you rather commute if it meant getting more house for your money.
Do you want to live in a planned community or buy land to build?

North Raleigh, Cary, Apex - there are lots of places.

The school website is www.wcpss.net.
You can get the ratings for the schools there.

You can also find a lot of the builders websites to see where they are building and what you can get for your money.

Toll Brothers, Orleans Homes, Shea, Pulte, K. Hovnanian are just a sample of the big builders. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2007, 06:52 AM

237 posts, read 1,030,425 times
Welcome.

Like I said in a previous post, I think HOlly Springs/Apex is a great place. Like the other poster said....there are so many great places but you probably want to know where you'll be commuting to for work.

I think you're in a good price range to find a great house. Not sure what prices will be like in 2008.

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2007, 06:55 AM

237 posts, read 1,030,425 times
are you going to be looking at houses with a realtor?

I think that is your best bet. They really helped educate us (stick built, slap, crawl space, etc.). Sometimes if you come from other areas of the country you are not aware of how housing is built/sold in different areas. Plus, our realtor educated us on when, in the building process of the development, it is best to buy to allow for the most property value increase in your subdivision.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:22 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,046,134 times
I would have to agree with the previous posters, the area is quite big, and if you are going to commute any place, your living location may change. I have shown a number of families from LI the area, some loved cary, some hated it. Some loved wake forest, etc. It all depends though!

Maybe if you could narrow it down a bit, then I could make suggestions. I do think having a realtor show you around helps. I have met with people who told me after the fact that they really hadn't wanted to commit to spending time with an agent, but in the end they were glad they did because it gave them a much better feel for the area ( and they weren't lost all of the time).

Let me know if you have more questions
Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary