Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 03:28 PM

76 posts, read 195,358 times

Advertisements

Unemployment in the Triangle took a surprise drop last month. According to the experts, this area is "recession proof". I am not quite sure what they mean by that, but I am assuming they mean we may feel some pain, but would probably not fall into a recession when other parts of the country do. They may adjust that statement should the country end up in a depression.

Unemployment dips slightly in Raleigh-Cary, Durham metro areas :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 09:46 PM

22 posts, read 119,826 times
I love it here. Tons of job opportunities, tons of places to shop, and lots of stuff I haven't even had time to go visit yet.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:06 PM

675 posts, read 1,833,834 times
I think part of that speaks to how big health care and education is in this area. Those are relatively "recession proof" industries.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:06 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,700 times
If you look at the article, it's not a surprise. This is a normal seasonal variation with, as the article says, "more teachers returning to school and more students ages 16-19 heading back to class and out of the job market".

This happens pretty much every year at this time - there have only been 3 out of the last 19 years where unemployment has gone up from Jul to Aug, so for it not to go up this month is pretty normal.

Compare the 5.4% to last year's 3.5% number to see the trend. And notice that this year's number is tied for the second worst August on record, losing only to the 2002 and tying the 2003 numbers. Of course, the country was in the middle of a recession then, so if you believe the experts maybe those historical numbers from the recession didn't really happen in this "recession proof" area?

Sure, the numbers aren't horrible in an absolute sense (unless you're one of the 5.4%), but you have to compare it to the past to get any sense of how good or bad the numbers are. Anyone want a repeat of the 2002-2003 job market here? The numbers are lining up with that part of our "recession proof" history.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:15 AM

76 posts, read 195,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
If you look at the article, it's not a surprise. This is a normal seasonal variation with, as the article says, "more teachers returning to school and more students ages 16-19 heading back to class and out of the job market".

This happens pretty much every year at this time - there have only been 3 out of the last 19 years where unemployment has gone up from Jul to Aug, so for it not to go up this month is pretty normal.

Compare the 5.4% to last year's 3.5% number to see the trend. And notice that this year's number is tied for the second worst August on record, losing only to the 2002 and tying the 2003 numbers. Of course, the country was in the middle of a recession then, so if you believe the experts maybe those historical numbers from the recession didn't really happen in this "recession proof" area?

Sure, the numbers aren't horrible in an absolute sense (unless you're one of the 5.4%), but you have to compare it to the past to get any sense of how good or bad the numbers are. Anyone want a repeat of the 2002-2003 job market here? The numbers are lining up with that part of our "recession proof" history.
I think the experts are suggesting that we are much more diversified here now than in 2001-2003. That was a dot.com burst. I would never go so far as to say we are recession proof here, but the experts did. I would think that if the country as a whole went deep enough into a recession or depression, then we would eventually end up in a recession. The good news is and what I believe what the experts are trying to get across, is that we are lucky enough to be in one of the better places in the country during this economic meltdown. I would have to agree with that. We have felt much less pain here than other parts of the country. Let's hope the national situation recovers soon, before they eventually pull us down with them.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:00 AM

515 posts, read 1,037,431 times
I moved here about this time last year, and I'm currently looking to change jobs. When I compare the number of posted openings to last year, it's way way down. I'd say on the order of 1/10th the number of posting I was finding last year. The company I work for just lost a big job, so we may end up moving on...probably head back up north were there are more opportunities...

Old 09-27-2008, 10:47 AM

355 posts, read 958,427 times
I've also noticed a big drop off in job listings, especially over the past few weeks. It's like the boards have gone cold.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:37 AM

16 posts, read 55,761 times
I am 33, Software QA Engineer moving to Raleigh. I am wondering if it is possible to find job there at this time. Please let me know where is the best place to live. I am looking for a house near everything (job,shopping,restaurants).
Where is great high tech sector in the Raleigh located.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:27 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return of the Jedi View Post
I think the experts are suggesting that we are much more diversified here now than in 2001-2003. That was a dot.com burst. I would never go so far as to say we are recession proof here, but the experts did. I would think that if the country as a whole went deep enough into a recession or depression, then we would eventually end up in a recession. The good news is and what I believe what the experts are trying to get across, is that we are lucky enough to be in one of the better places in the country during this economic meltdown. I would have to agree with that. We have felt much less pain here than other parts of the country. Let's hope the national situation recovers soon, before they eventually pull us down with them.
If we're a lot more diversified, it's only helped a little bit. During the peak of the 2002-2003 recession, unemployment maxed out at 6% several times. So far right now during the current non-recession, it's been as high as 5.5%. I think that's a hint that something is going on, but it's possible that the stats are wrong or different this time.

And this area is pretty close to average as far as unemployment rates go, according to the US Department of Labor (Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas). The national average is 6%, we're at 5.4% this month, and in a 12 way tie for 153rd best out of 369 MSAs stats are kept for. This puts the area on a level with Poughkeepsie, NY, Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN, Reading, PA, and even NY city. It's not bad to be in the top half of the nation, but nothing to make this area stand out compared to the 140-something cities with lower unemployment rates.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,012 times
Default looking to relocate from norh jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaNoob View Post
I love it here. Tons of job opportunities, tons of places to shop, and lots of stuff I haven't even had time to go visit yet.

this is my first time logging in, can anyone tell me how to begin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary