Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:04 PM

46 posts, read 142,914 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Virginia Beach, (although many years ago) everyone wore their Sunday best: men in suits and women in dresses and heels. Here in Phoenix, anything goes. Flip flops, short shorts, once there was a 40ish woman with a belly shirt that read, "Bite Me" on it. DH said he was scared and wanted to go home, LOL. So I was wondering what the norm is around the Cary area? For adults and kids too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 05:07 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,482 times
It's going to vary from one church to another, but you'll probably find a large concentration of business-casual dress.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
I concur it varies from church to church .

The more conservative type churches and denominations will have more of a formal attire

Old 09-16-2008, 05:34 PM

91 posts, read 309,038 times
Lots of churches in this area are contempory now..anything goes, flip flops and all! We visted one not long ago, me in dress, hubby in a suit, stuck out a like a sore thumb, and not one person spoke to us!! Most are very friendly however, just large groups and you can get lost in the shuffle... It depends a lot on age I think, and the denomonation, our Sothern Baptist Church is much more conservative, but kids dress down.. i know God does not care what we have on..but I was always taught it was out of respect that we gave God our finest..even in what we wear to church!

Old 09-16-2008, 06:25 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,679 times
i usually go as God made me, in my birthday suit... original sin made us cover up, so i try to stay away from that...

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-16-2008 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 09-16-2008, 06:59 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagirl767 View Post
When I lived in Virginia Beach, (although many years ago) everyone wore their Sunday best: men in suits and women in dresses and heels. Here in Phoenix, anything goes. Flip flops, short shorts, once there was a 40ish woman with a belly shirt that read, "Bite Me" on it. DH said he was scared and wanted to go home, LOL. So I was wondering what the norm is around the Cary area? For adults and kids too?
I was really surprised to see ppl wearing shorts and flip-flops to church. I guess times have changed. We usually dress casual, nice slacks and dress shirt.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:24 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,562,426 times
Mostly men in shirt and tie or suit, and the women are usually in dresses. Not too many women wear pants on Sunday where I go. Sunday Best :-)

Old 09-16-2008, 07:53 PM

820 posts, read 2,787,552 times
The new trend in churches everywhere are the contemporary type of services. Non-traditional venues like strip malls, schools, and movie theaters. They usually have full bands and projectors with contemporary praise songs rather than hymns. Worshipers at these services typically dress casual to business casual.

In traditional churches you still find people dressed in their "Sunday best", except some Catholic services I've been to are casual to business casual dress.

It's hard for me to wear anything other than a suit when I attend church, that's just the way I grew up. I remember early teens and my mom acting like I was crazy because I wanted to wear slacks, shirt, and tie, without a jacket. My church (ESUMC) has a traditional AND a contemporary service. I love them both, and although I spent a bulk of time in both types (growing up in traditional - college years at a Baptist Student Union), I feel more attached to the traditional service in a suit rather than the contemporary in khakis.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:02 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,543 times
In my opinion, if you have to worry about what to wear, this means you are worried people at the church will judge you. If they are judging you based on this criteria, it might be time to look for a new church. Church is no place for snooty people in my personal opinion. We tried several churches, everything from almost wearing a business suit, stuffy and old fashioned, to Jesus and his freinds hanging out at the park. We finally opted for a upbeat, energetic, come as you are, nobody judges us, friendly, passionate church called Hope Chapel in Apex. We absolutely love it!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:39 PM

820 posts, read 2,787,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
In my opinion, if you have to worry about what to wear, this means you are worried people at the church will judge you. If they are judging you based on this criteria, it might be time to look for a new church. Church is no place for snooty people in my personal opinion. We tried several churches, everything from almost wearing a business suit, stuffy and old fashioned, to Jesus and his freinds hanging out at the park. We finally opted for a upbeat, energetic, come as you are, nobody judges us, friendly, passionate church called Hope Chapel in Apex. We absolutely love it!
There is nothing wrong with wearing casual clothing to worship, just as there is nothing wrong with putting on your Grandmother's best strand of pearls and attending. Neither should be judged.

It's natural that people want to "fit in" or conform to what they think the average person will be doing. Some people don't care and are confident straying from the norm. As an example, today my wife has asked me to find out from a co-worker what she's wearing to a Sunday evening event we'll be attending... common occurrence!

The main thing is though, just because a few people attending church are worried about being judged by dress, doesn't mean the judgment is actually happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary