Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:13 PM

41 posts, read 194,661 times

Advertisements

OK, so after seven months and 60+/- showings, our house is finally under contract.

That's the good news.

The other good news is we've now got to find a house.

We've found a couple we really like that are ranch plans with everything on the first floor, with lots of unfinished space on the second floor.

Can anyone give me a ball park figure of how much it'd cost per square foot to finish off the room? Our agent said the builder would do it for $55 per square foot. How does that sound? It's already prewired and everything, so the best I can tell, all we're talking is sheet rock, a ceiling and flooring.

Also, while I'm at it, if you've ever had someone do something like this that's done a good job, could you pass on any recommendations?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 12:31 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcoxg77 View Post
OK, so after seven months and 60+/- showings, our house is finally under contract.

That's the good news.

The other good news is we've now got to find a house.

We've found a couple we really like that are ranch plans with everything on the first floor, with lots of unfinished space on the second floor.

Can anyone give me a ball park figure of how much it'd cost per square foot to finish off the room? Our agent said the builder would do it for $55 per square foot. How does that sound? It's already prewired and everything, so the best I can tell, all we're talking is sheet rock, a ceiling and flooring.

Also, while I'm at it, if you've ever had someone do something like this that's done a good job, could you pass on any recommendations?

Thanks...
$55 a square foot and it is framed, wired, vapor barrier, insulated? That is insane! I would guess a good handyman could get it done for about $20-$25 per sq ft at the most. I know a few VERY good handmen if you want a recommendation, let me know. The guy is fair, shows up on time, is polite, very fast and does a great job.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:11 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
My advice would be skip the builder and their very high price and hire a LICENSED GENERAL CONTRACTOR. I just wanted to make sure you did not miss the suggestion .
The main reason being you have recourse with the State when using a licensed contractor if there is an issue. Also, multiple estimates is a must. Good luck!

Old 09-01-2008, 04:51 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,893 times
To have our attic finished off into a room our builder wanted $17K for approx. 17X 17 room. To add a bath to that which included a hallway to get to the bath and an additional closet it was $25K.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:48 PM

41 posts, read 194,661 times
I thought that sounded a little high.

I would definitely be interested in any recommendations you or anyone else could pass on?

FYI, the houses we're interested in are in Clayton.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:11 AM

1 posts, read 27,624 times
Hey - I'm actually interested in finishing my bonus room in the same area. We have studs, electrical and insulation in there now, but still need the heating & air, drywall and ceiling installed. Can anyone give me an idea about the process and/or recommend someone to help?
Thanks.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:01 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,181 times
We bought a home that is a ranch also and we were planning on building out 600 sq feet on the top floor as a bonus room and a closet. It is basically an open space with insulation .When we bought the house the builder was willing to do it for 15k, now (6 months later) he is willing to do the same job for 31k. Both bids included a separate HCVAC system, insulation, framing, sheet-rock, electrical, lighting, carpet, and trim out. I really like my builder and now that I know the difference in cost I wish I would have had that first quote in writing and/or knew that to do it after we bought the home it would be twice as much. I don't fault him --- I fault myself for just assuming.

I'm not sure what we are planning on doing but to build a 31k playroom for my kids and an extra closet seems a bit indulgent to me. We are now looking to get bids to expand and enclose our deck into a year round room to give us the little bit more space we need and forget building out the top floor.

As another poster suggested about the General LICENSED contractor that is my next step too just to compare costs --- the hard part is finding a good one.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:54 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
We bought a home that is a ranch also and we were planning on building out 600 sq feet on the top floor as a bonus room and a closet. It is basically an open space with insulation .When we bought the house the builder was willing to do it for 15k, now (6 months later) he is willing to do the same job for 31k. Both bids included a separate HCVAC system, insulation, framing, sheet-rock, electrical, lighting, carpet, and trim out. I really like my builder and now that I know the difference in cost I wish I would have had that first quote in writing and/or knew that to do it after we bought the home it would be twice as much. I don't fault him --- I fault myself for just assuming.

I'm not sure what we are planning on doing but to build a 31k playroom for my kids and an extra closet seems a bit indulgent to me. We are now looking to get bids to expand and enclose our deck into a year round room to give us the little bit more space we need and forget building out the top floor.

As another poster suggested about the General LICENSED contractor that is my next step too just to compare costs --- the hard part is finding a good one.
I must say that I'm surprised at the price difference between finishing the room then and now!

Makes me wonder IF the builder just doesn't want to do it and this is his way of saying "no thanks"?

With banks not loaning builders money for spec houses and only allowing them to do presales, I would guess there must be some builders out there that could use the work!

The trick is to find that contractor! I'll look through my names and send them to you directly.

Vicki

Old 12-04-2008, 08:17 AM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
I too would like to get recommendations (please!)

I want to finish my attic. It already has frame, ducts, floor, some lighting (though more is needed) and is insulated. So I want to finish it out the rest of the way.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:23 AM

488 posts, read 1,554,730 times
I'd like recommendations too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary