Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 08:38 AM

112 posts, read 632,176 times

Advertisements

Should I suspect there is a catch to a property like this? I just saw this listed, and the house is the cutest thing i've ever seen. AND it's on 6+ acres in Chapel Hill! Why are postage stamp lot sizes with generic homes going for more than this charmer in Chapel Hill? I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 08:42 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,432,660 times
did you get a specific location? My guess is that this isn't actually in the city limits of Chapel Hill (6 acres undeveloped does seem out of the ordinary in a city that's known for high density).
It probably has a Chapel Hill zip code, but I kinda doubt it's actually in the city.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:44 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,080,129 times
My guess, now this is only a guess, is it is a chapel hill address and is in chatham county? There seem to be a number of developments going up with land in that section of chapel hill.

Leigh

Old 02-02-2007, 08:52 AM

Default here is the info

1530 Twisted Oak Drive
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
MLS ID#: 909926

Old 02-02-2007, 08:57 AM

okay, i'm seriously thinking of driving down there tomorrow (from NJ) because i love this house so much!! but if there is a reason (a bad one) for this price, then obviously it would be a wasted trip. ugh...it's so hard being so far away and looking at houses!

Old 02-02-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rieboots View Post
1530 Twisted Oak Drive
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
MLS ID#: 909926
Yep...that's what I thought....that's more accurately the Calvander area. But since Calvander is not an incorporated town, they use Chapel Hill (or sometimes Carrboro) addresses. (In fact you'll probably find yourself going to Carrboro for food, shopping, etc, more than Chapel Hill.)
That would most definitely explain the low price...Calvander isn't really an expensive area.

It's really out there in the country.
If you have kids, they will most likely go to Orange County schools, not Chapel Hill/Carrboro city schools (if that's an issue). But your taxes will be considerably less.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:03 AM

Thanks for your reply. We actually homeschool, so schools aren't an issue. How long would it take us to get to the nearest store...grocery and a target? Also, since this is more rural, do you have any idea how long houses in the country like this one stay on the market? i would assume a lot slower... but. we'd have to sell our house here first, so that is why i'm asking.

Thanks so much!

Old 02-02-2007, 09:06 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,080,129 times
Actually that house is close to where I grew up (I was off of dairyland road, closer to the now maple view farms ice cream place.) Anyhow, it is gorgeous country out there, and conveniently located, especially to carrboro (my mom used to bike to work from our house, about 8 miles). It is orange county schools, although it says chapel hill schools, which are different. I don't know if schools are an issue or not for you though.

In the "agent only" comments about the house they said:
House is perked for three bedrooms but has four. Plus Den and a bonus room. County is only concerned with how many people per room. County allows two per room. Home is priced below CMA. No repairs by seller. Needs carpet upstairs. buyer agent to verify Sq Ft and schools

The seller has been in the home since it was built. I would say if you are looking to be in chapel hill, this is close enough in proximity to take a drive out and see the place.

Leigh

Old 02-02-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. We actually homeschool, so schools aren't an issue. How long would it take us to get to the nearest store...grocery and a target? Also, since this is more rural, do you have any idea how long houses in the country like this one stay on the market? i would assume a lot slower... but. we'd have to sell our house here first, so that is why i'm asking.

Thanks so much!
Downtown Carrboro is probably barely 15 min away, less if driving at off-peak times. You can basically park there and do all your grocery, drug store, hardware, etc shopping done all within a cute, tightly-packed 3-block area. And the Carrboro farmer's market is a real treat!
Target would be further away...there are none in Carrboro or Chapel Hill. There are two in southern Durham (South Square and Southpoint), which are both about half an hour away, depending on traffic.
Chapel Hill does have a Rose's in University Mall...which is good for grabbing cheap discount stuff that makes Walmart look pricey! LOL

As far as houses in the rural market...I can't say, but Chapel Hill and Carrboro are both growing, and Calvander area is becoming a hot "suburban outpost" as they expand northbound. Something to keep in mind.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:18 AM

225 posts, read 957,046 times
Quote:
the house is the cutest thing i've ever seen. .

I have to agree! It does look pretty adorable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary