Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 PM

15 posts, read 60,221 times

Advertisements

I have question regarding nap time in preschool.

My 4 years daughter started in her new preschool a couple a weeks ago and though she was very happy for her old European preschool, she loves her new one just as much.

We just have one thing that is very new for us - and a struggle for her. And that is the two (2!) hours nap time after lunch. Nap means lay down with blanket and pillow, no talk, light out, etc.

We´ve been told it a mandatory thing from the state, but - for us - it seems like a long period of time for an almost 5 years old girl to rest during the day.

We fully salute the nap time and the stuctured way to ensure kids can have a rest during the day, but 2 hour is long period of time to be forced to "sleep". Even I dont think I can sleep for that long during the day, if I had the opportunity ;-)

In her European preschool the nap time was phases out when she was 3 years old. They still have rest time, where f.x. they hear a book or do other relaxing things, but they are not forced to sleep.

Is it true it is the state that demands the 2 hour rule, Do the 4 years old have sleep, sleep, sleep during the two hours or is there alternatives to how the "nap/rest time" can be proceded ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 08:41 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,503,386 times
I do not believe that is a state law--I'd ask to see that in writing! My child went to preschool in NC and certainly they did nothing like that! The children could nap if they/their parents chose. If they/their parents chose not to, they could rest with a book for 20 min. after which time they could do "quiet activities" (looking at books, drawing, etc).

2 HOURS??? That sounds like teachers not wanting to do anything!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:54 PM

847 posts, read 3,522,441 times
I agree the existence of such a law sounds questionable, but I am not sure as my kiddo did 1/2 day preK.

I do know that in kindergarten, when there was a required quiet/nap time, they allowed kids to read or color, as long as they were lying down on their mats. (Most did eventually fall asleep.)

Old 08-26-2008, 03:08 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,655,530 times
GS_110-91
Quote:
Each child care facility shall have a rest period for each child in care after lunch or at some other appropriate time and arrange for each child in care to be out‑of‑doors each day if weather conditions permit.
It does not specify a two hour rest time. Is this childcare or preschool? I'm only familiar with 1/2 day preschool in the morning. Perhaps other parents using childcare can chime in. I did Google and found a couple of childcare sites; including a home daycare that has rest time from 1-3pm.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:11 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,655,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
I do know that in kindergarten, when there was a required quiet/nap time, they allowed kids to read or color, as long as they were lying down on their mats. (Most did eventually fall asleep.)
I believe it is 20-30 minutes each day. At least this is what my kindergartener has told me. And it is phased out by the end of the school year.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:10 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,238 times
There's no mandatory "nap" time in preschool, certainly not two hours, at least not in the Pre-K/Head Start program my child's enrolled in (and if there were federal requirements, I'm sure that group would know about them).

And kindergarten with nap time? My son never had a nap time in kindergarten, and I don't know of anyone's children at the age who typically took a midday nap.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:11 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
My son had nap time daily in New Orleans public KG.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:13 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
I agree that 2 hours is too long for a 5 year old. My kids gave up naps by the time they were three. In KG, she had 1/2 hour "rest/nap" time. The kids didn't have to sleep but had to lay down on a mat and either sleep or quietly look at books.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:26 AM

223 posts, read 566,560 times
Is the preschool within a day care and is the child there monger than 4 hours? If so, it is probably more of a daycare policy than preschool. The morning preschools I am familiar with do not include any rest time. The parents are not paying for 3 hours of school each day for the child to sleep.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:32 AM

488 posts, read 1,554,612 times
The law just says that they have to have a space and time provided for rest.

http://ncchildcare.dhhs.state.nc.us/...mary_05_05.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary