Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 04:25 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,840 times

Advertisements

Since I am new here, is there anything I should do now to prevent bugs in the warmer months ahead? I am on slab rental home, for now...but need advice for now and the future when I own a home here in NC. I know they spray the foundation every month here around the complex. Do I need to do anything inside? outside? I don't know what to expect once the warm weather starts...I don't like suprises...haha so if anyone has advice on what I should do to prepare, it would be appreciated. I lived on Long Island and my home was pest free...maybe a spider in the corner...but not sure what to expect here? What are the more common insects/bugs here? What comes into the house? Can you see I am stressing already??? hahaha

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 04:58 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
Since I am new here, is there anything I should do now to prevent bugs in the warmer months ahead? I am on slab rental home, for now...but need advice for now and the future when I own a home here in NC. I know they spray the foundation every month here around the complex. Do I need to do anything inside? outside? I don't know what to expect once the warm weather starts...I don't like suprises...haha so if anyone has advice on what I should do to prepare, it would be appreciated. I lived on Long Island and my home was pest free...maybe a spider in the corner...but not sure what to expect here? What are the more common insects/bugs here? What comes into the house? Can you see I am stressing already??? hahaha

Thanks everyone!
First, are you living in the city or a rural area? We've lived in a wooded area in Wake Forest for three years now, have a yearly (or there abouts) spray around the foundation and that is it.

I've seen two skinks outside.....a few house flies in the house, a praying mantis (took her out on the deck) and half a dozen spiders (nothing poisonous)....an asian beetle.

We've not encountered the swarms of mosquitoes (nothing like up North)....just lots of lightening bugs in the backyard to watch in the evening.

The bugs just aren't a huge issue in the Triangle.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:01 PM

I am renting a town home in Brier Creek, its on a slab...I saw some spiders in the garage, so far nothing in the house...yikes..

thanks for the information...

Old 01-30-2007, 06:11 PM

553 posts, read 2,332,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I am renting a town home in Brier Creek, its on a slab...I saw some spiders in the garage, so far nothing in the house...yikes..

thanks for the information...
We have a professional pest control company spray for everything from spiders to fireants. They say if you have your home sprayed then the bugs will go to the house that isn't being sprayed. Pretty simple. I take it a step further, I bought concentrated garlic juice that you mix with water and spray on your lawn. Apparently the claim is that garlic will kill mosquitos so they avoid it. I have read that there are no bug problems in garlic fields. That being said I didn't want a bunch of chemicals sprayed on our lawn where our little girls play so I bought some and tried it. IT WORKS. Bugs got the hell out of there quick and stayed away for about a month even after it had rained several days. You'll still get one or two who like garlic but fir the most part it works really well. The company states that many golf courses use it also. I put it in one of those miracle grow hose spray containers that evenly distributes fertilizer and it worked great. It's about $35-$40 for a half gallon but only 1/2 of a cup mixed with a gallon is the mix ratio. If you do this along with pest control, you'll be enjoying the outdoors as your neighbors stay inside of their screened porches!
As far as what kind of bugs? The question is what kind do we NOT have here.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:37 PM

Thumbs up concentrated garlic juice? where can i purchase this?

thanks, where can I buy the concentrated garlic juice...being half italian, I won't mind smelling garlic...my kitchen already does from cooking...haha but this sounds great...I have a small dog (shih-tzu) so it will be safe for him as well on the grass...

Old 02-03-2007, 08:38 PM

75 posts, read 413,926 times
When building, I hired a professional organic pest service to put boric acid, natural (not pool) diatomaceous earth, and he also used other food-grade oils (rosemary, thyme, etc.) to help prevent bugs. That stuff really helps, especially if you're building and he can do it right before they close-off the walls. just my two cents...i worry about my little one and the poisons

Old 02-04-2007, 12:37 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuterdu View Post
We have a professional pest control company spray for everything from spiders to fireants. They say if you have your home sprayed then the bugs will go to the house that isn't being sprayed. Pretty simple. I take it a step further, I bought concentrated garlic juice that you mix with water and spray on your lawn. Apparently the claim is that garlic will kill mosquitos so they avoid it. I have read that there are no bug problems in garlic fields. That being said I didn't want a bunch of chemicals sprayed on our lawn where our little girls play so I bought some and tried it. IT WORKS. Bugs got the hell out of there quick and stayed away for about a month even after it had rained several days. You'll still get one or two who like garlic but fir the most part it works really well. The company states that many golf courses use it also. I put it in one of those miracle grow hose spray containers that evenly distributes fertilizer and it worked great. It's about $35-$40 for a half gallon but only 1/2 of a cup mixed with a gallon is the mix ratio. If you do this along with pest control, you'll be enjoying the outdoors as your neighbors stay inside of their screened porches!
As far as what kind of bugs? The question is what kind do we NOT have here.
So, do you have the pest control company come out only a few times a year, or not at all now with the garlic juice? How much does it usually cost for a pest control company to come out once a month? Can one of those sprayers at Lowes or Home Depot filled with insecticide suffice?

As for the garlic juice, I think I will give it a try. I imagine Harris Teeter or Food Lion will have it? How well does the fertilizer work, especially with the garlic juice? And does your lawn smell like garlic now?

Old 02-04-2007, 12:47 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
So, do you have the pest control company come out only a few times a year, or not at all now with the garlic juice? How much does it usually cost for a pest control company to come out once a month? Can one of those sprayers at Lowes or Home Depot filled with insecticide suffice?

As for the garlic juice, I think I will give it a try. I imagine Harris Teeter or Food Lion will have it? How well does the fertilizer work, especially with the garlic juice? And does your lawn smell like garlic now?
I don't know anyone that has pet control come out as often as once a month......it just doesn't seem needed. Maybe in you are in a very urban area with lots of close quarter neighbors.

Once a year is all that was recommended for our new construction. I dislike the chemicals even that much, but 'natural' remedies don't always work as well.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:21 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Pest control service every quarter is pretty much the market standard. Take note of "control." NOT "eradication."
You don't need a monthly service for pest control.

It may take a couple of follow-up calls to handle a really out of control situation, like moving into a home where the owners tolerated squalor...
But most firms will do that follow-up for free. You may notice that the first quarter fee is higher than the following quarters will be. "To get you into our system." That is also a little crying money for expected call-backs.
Once the house is under control, a good outside perimeter treatment will deter most bugs from entering. Inside treatment is good in wet and greasy areas, kitchens, laundries, and baths.

We have more spiders than anything, and they seem to like to munch on my Sweetie, so we pay about $70.00 per service 4 times a year.
I don't worry about the chemicals, since we are talking mostly about pyrethrins that are copies of naturally occuring substances. Might use some borax for ants. Very effective when properly placed.

Everybody in the south has German cockroaches. Some live with them. Some don't. I choose not to, and will take a little pyrethrin on the side to not eat their legs and such...

Termites are a totally different threat. They are a little harder to deter and it takes different approaches from pests, and termites can do real damage to a home. The quarterly service does NOT address termites. That is why you see so many "Pest AND Termite" companies.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:35 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,571 times
I live in South Central Virginia. If you have an ant problem then I would recommend this feeder:

http://www.epestsupply.com/cgi-bin/s...n&key=KMANTPRO

I use these around key areas of my home using Uncle Albert's Smart Bait:

http://www.epestsupply.com/cgi-bin/s...ey=ALBERTSPINT

Once I notice the ants I fill up each bait container and that usually lasts until dormant season. I've tried a few other products, nothing worked, but the ant bait really works as advertised. It's a slow toxin; the ants bring it back to the colony for about two weeks and the toxin ultimately kills the queen and the entire colony.

I have a 128 acre equine estate in the country, so I've learned how to combat all sorts of insect pests in the garden, around the home, the barns, etc.

Does the Triad have Black Widows? Up here in Boones Mill, VA, they're pretty common if you know where to look. I find dozens of Black Widow nests during the summer over here.

Sean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary