Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:13 PM

305 posts, read 713,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I disagree with those that say you MUST rent first. It is difficult when you have children. You have to do what is right for them and for you. Moving them once is difficult enough.
Okay.......So let's take Mr. and Mrs. Transplant, who have never lived in The Triangle and know very little about the towns and neighborhoods in it. They know very little about Garner or what it feels like to live there......but you believe it would be perfectly fine for them to go ahead and purchase a home in Garner?

They know very little about Morrisville or what it feels like to live there......but you believe it would be perfectly fine for them to go ahead purchase a home in Morrisville? Wake Forest? Knightdale? Apex? Carrboro? The unfamiliar transplant should just take the big plunge and purchase a home...on a whim...in whatever area seems best to them? Sounds absolutely crazy to me.

Moving from a rental is as easy as packing up and leaving when the lease ends. Moving from a purchased home is a completely different story.

RENT FIRST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 PM

18 posts, read 96,603 times
Thanks for everyone's replies. We came down in May and did feel very comfortable with the NW area of Raleigh. We have gotten a lot of very positive feedback about the schools and neighborhoods in that area, and that is what's highest on our priority list. We have a very good realtor who has helped us consider different areas and homes objectively, even from so far away. I'm coming down this weekend and we will explore two areas, mostly NW Raleigh and some of Cary.

I really do appreciate all the feedback. This website has been extremely helpful with this transition.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:31 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
Okay.......So let's take Mr. and Mrs. Transplant, who have never lived in The Triangle and know very little about the towns and neighborhoods in it. They know very little about Garner or what it feels like to live there......but you believe it would be perfectly fine for them to go ahead and purchase a home in Garner?

They know very little about Morrisville or what it feels like to live there......but you believe it would be perfectly fine for them to go ahead purchase a home in Morrisville? Wake Forest? Knightdale? Apex? Carrboro? The unfamiliar transplant should just take the big plunge and purchase a home...on a whim...in whatever area seems best to them? Sounds absolutely crazy to me.

Moving from a rental is as easy as packing up and leaving when the lease ends. Moving from a purchased home is a completely different story.

RENT FIRST.
First of all...calm down. I simply do not understand the anger people feel when someone disagrees with them.

Most people understand that what is good for them may not be good for the next person.

There are many people who choose to buy instead of rent. I have clients that rent for 3 months and after the first month want to buy.

I can honestly tell you that I know LOTS of people that have come down to this area with 4 days to buy a house. Sometimes that is all that your job will allow you, if you are relocating.

I explain the area and from there, we sit at the computer and look at what their budget gets them in each area.

For most people working in North Raleigh, they are simply not going to want to live in Fuquay, so that eliminates that area.

For someone who KNOWS they want l/2 acre and can only spend $200,000...it is pretty certain they will buy in Clayton.

If your price range is $500,000 or more, and you work at RTP, it will end up being North Raleigh, Cary or Morrisville, more than likely.

Most people spending $1 million will not end up in Holly Springs.

Most people spending $150,000 will not end up in North Raleigh.

The more people are educated to the area, the better their decisions can be.

Some people know INSTANTLY if they even like a neighborhood.

It really isn't that difficult. After the first day, buyers feel a bit less stress. Yes, our days are long but we have alot to accomplish in a short time. Do I enjoy those long days as much as those people that live here and we can look more leisurely? No. It is exhausting to drive and look at houses from 10AM until 10PM but if they have only 4 days to find their new home, that is what I do. It isn't as if I'm telling them they HAVE to do it that way.

(Knock on wood) but I have never heard from one of my clients that they wish they had looked more or were unhappy with the house or the neighborhood they chose.

So, if YOU want to rent before you buy, do so. If you want to buy instead of renting, do so. But let us allow people to have choices without telling them that they are wrong.

Vicki

Old 08-26-2008, 06:12 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,863 times
Also, what's the big deal about buying a house? The concept that you need to really spend weeks and weeks and weeks searching for that perfect house may have been true in the 1950's, when one's life was much more circumscribed by geography, but it doesn't matter nearly as much now. It's just a place to live in. It's not your wife, it's not a child, it's a house. (And, particularly if you're the sort who moves a lot, it's even less important.) Commute aside, so long as it meets your criteria (be it close to work, decent schools, etc.), I don't see the big deal in purchasing a house quickly -- if that's what you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary