Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 07:14 AM

502 posts, read 1,743,068 times

Advertisements

We recently bought a house (about 15 years old) and one of the windows has more water damage than the inspector caught (or me). I can patch it, but the wood rot is pretty bad and I'd really like to have it repaired properly or replaced. Looking at the window, I don't see how it could be properly repaired, but don't want to assume that is the case. The problem is this. The window is a triple window that goes nearly floor to ceiling.... and worse, it matches about 4 more just like it going across the back of the house. I would actually like to just have that one window replaced. I am assuming that most window contractors are going to have their own brand windows they want to sell, and they wouldn't match what is already there. Can this type of thing be repaired by replacing the lower board of the window, and if so... any recommendations on someone who could do it? Is there a window contractor in Raleigh that would be able to match it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 08:18 AM

551 posts, read 2,291,209 times
I would recommend that you try somewhere like Stock Building Supply. They have recently been very helpful to me. They carry mutiple types and brands of windows and give great advice.

Windows ::: Stock Building Supply (http://www.stockbuildingsupply.com/prod_windows.asp - broken link)

Old 08-14-2008, 08:21 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,711,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
I would recommend that you try somewhere like Stock Building Supply. They have recently been very helpful to me. They carry mutiple types and brands of windows and give great advice.

Windows ::: Stock Building Supply (http://www.stockbuildingsupply.com/prod_windows.asp - broken link)
They put the windows in our house. Right before we sold we had a minor problem with a spring in the window (found in the inspection) and my husband called them and explained the problem and they came out and fixed it. I'm not sure whether it was a warranty issue, but they didn't charge us. Our experience with them is that they are very helpful and friendly.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:34 AM

I'll give them a call. My biggest thing is if I replace the window, it will have to exactly match the others or it will stick out. The window unit is a triple unit and very tall, so I'm sure its not cheap. Its the bump out of our kitchen nook, and there are identical window units on either side of it.... so I could end up buying a lot of windows because one is bad... or having a mismatch that looks bad. Its annoying because the window that is damaged is right on the deck next to the door, so I can't believe that the prior owner didn't notice that it needed to be painted.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:34 PM

635 posts, read 3,097,452 times
It depends on the age of the window, but if it is an older all wood window versus a newer manufactured unit, it definitely has the potential to be repaired.

Most newer manufactured windows, even if wood, aren't really designed to be repaired except for some small parts replacement. However vintage all wood windows are easily repaired and can last for over 100 years or more if maintained. A lot of this has to do with their inherent design that supports repair and maintenance, and that a lot of older windows are made from old growth lumber that has superior strength and rot resistance.

If you have older windows, check out:

Double-Hung Historic Window Restoration

They have done quite a bit of the historic window restoration and repair at UNC, and specialize in rehabilitation of old windows and storm window installation.

Good luck!
Al

Old 08-14-2008, 06:19 PM

They are wood windows, but only 15 years old... so not sure if they are going to be qualifying for the type of repair you are talking about. But thanks for the tip... I'll check it out.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:05 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,701,729 times
Stock Building Supply in Youngsville/Wake Forest actually built a window for me as a replacement.

The contractor messed up the measurements. So he was fired and I went to Stock Building Supply and they fixed me up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary