Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 22,539 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Traingle this fall from NH and I need some advice on the best neighborhood/area to live.
we are in the $500K range and have looked at the following areas:
Heritage in Wake Forest
Wakefield - North Raleigh
Preston in Cary
Brier Creek in Raliegh

I am at a loss to know what area is best.
My husband will be working at RTP and I work from home. We have a 3 year old and a 1 year old so a nice, young, friendly neighborhood is ideal.
Schools are very important to us - though we know it is hard to know what will be the school in 3 years when my son enters elementary. But I know some areas are considered "better than others".
As for the house - 4+ bed, 2 bath - updated or new with a nice yard (over .3 acre ideally)....walking distance to school, park or shops would be great.
Also - this is a 3-5 year move - so resale is important as well.
What is the "best" place to live considering all that???
I am open to anywhere in the triangle area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 07:41 PM

147 posts, read 689,156 times
I think any of the areas you're looking at are fine. I believe the best commute for your husband would be from Preston in Cary but others will probably chime in on that with more information.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:45 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
There are a lot of great areas that may work for you. Hard to designate one as being the "best".

At the $500K price point you will have a lot of options. I'm sure a good agent can get you pointed in the right direction. FWIW, IF I was working in RTP I would focus on commute time. Defintely test drive from any prospective neighborhoods as you will find some have much better commutes than others.

Good Luck!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:02 PM

835 posts, read 2,877,464 times
Where in NH? We just moved to Wake Forest from Londonderry NH this past March.

We bought in Reynolds Mill just off Main Street. What cemented our choice to live there is as follows:

1) Easy commute for husband into Raleigh (takes back roads)

2) Location/proximity to stores galore and downtown WF

3) Schools...very important

4) The perfect house. Here's what was important to us:

a) New construction...we wanted brand new but there are several inventory homes available.

b) Size of home...kitchen and morning room, as well as family room are amazing! We have a large family, and we tend to conjugate to the kitchen, especially when family comes to visit, so it was important to finally have a kitchen where we can all gather and not be on top of one another. Master bath with whirlpool tub is something I've always wanted as well.

c) Vinyl siding. We don't ever want to paint again or pay someone else to paint.

d) Lot size. Coming from a house up north on over an acre of yard that no one wanted to take care of, we wanted a small yard. Our new home has a perfect yard...not too big but big enough to enjoy outdoor activities like grilling.

e) Master closets...many homes in the area have just one. We wanted separate his and her master closets, AND....BIG AND FOR US....didn't want our closets in the master bathroom! YUK! We looked at so many homes where the closet/s were in there. I don't want to go through a steamy bathroom...or even worse a stinky bathroom, to get to my clothes.

f) Association fees. Make sure you check to see what they are. Ours is low comparably to others we checked out.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Old 08-13-2008, 09:39 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
My choice...partly opinion...partly for the type of neighborhood you want and partly for resale would be Heritage in Wake Forest.

Nothing wrong with Wakefield but some of my clients think it has more status and less friendly family feel. It would be my 2nd choice.

Preston would be my 3rd choice...older homes. Sometimes older neighborhoods tend to be less motivated to meet the new neighbors.

Brier Creek just doesn't appeal to me and I'm not even sure why!

The most important thing is what do YOU like and what feels right to YOU?

In that price range, you'll have alot of choices!

Vicki

Old 08-13-2008, 09:54 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpetrella View Post
We are moving to the Traingle this fall from NH and I need some advice on the best neighborhood/area to live.
we are in the $500K range and have looked at the following areas:
Heritage in Wake Forest
Wakefield - North Raleigh
Preston in Cary
Brier Creek in Raliegh

I am at a loss to know what area is best.
My husband will be working at RTP and I work from home. We have a 3 year old and a 1 year old so a nice, young, friendly neighborhood is ideal.
Schools are very important to us - though we know it is hard to know what will be the school in 3 years when my son enters elementary. But I know some areas are considered "better than others".
As for the house - 4+ bed, 2 bath - updated or new with a nice yard (over .3 acre ideally)....walking distance to school, park or shops would be great.
Also - this is a 3-5 year move - so resale is important as well.
What is the "best" place to live considering all that???
I am open to anywhere in the triangle area.
I would seriously consider Weatherstone in Cary. 10-14 year old homes, but mostly very well cared for. Superb location. Walk to school. Good resale.
Preston Village. Again, walk to school. Shops nearby in a couple of directions.
Weston Pointe. Lovely streets. Great N Cary location. Drive to amenities.

The only "Best" would be a place where you would be comfortable for your 3-5 year stint, get your boy off to a good start in elementary, and basically enjoy life.
It seems we have a lot of those places.
Heritage, Brier Creek, several options in Cary.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:34 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,695,847 times
Like Mike said, Weatherstone is a very nice custom home neighborhood in a great Cary location (I used to live next door to Weatherstone) with a neighborhood pool/swim team and the elementary school is in the neighborhood. The homes are older, but you might find something updated. Preston is great too, but you have to join the CC to go to the pool which is very expensive (especially since you're not planning on being in the area long term).

Old 08-14-2008, 06:48 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,133 times
I'd widen my search to the area West of NC55 in Cary.
It's closer to RTP than any other area you mentioned.
Its location is more central to the wider Triangle area than Wake Forest.
The elementary schools in that area are extremely well rated.
It is poised to gain upscale retail/office space (Alston Activity Center).
The Western Wake Expressway will likely be complete within 3 years, and if you select your neighborhood and lot wisely, your resale potential will be quite strong.
With respect to Wake Forest, I don't see anything on the horizon to enhance it except more homes, and it seems to have plenty of those already. There is nothing coming that will make it easier or more convenient to live there.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:35 AM

3 posts, read 22,539 times
Thank you. Do you know any good neighborhoods in that area so I can look at them specifically? I appreciate the help. I love Heritage in WF, but have heard that commute can be long sometimes. Resale is a big concern.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:01 AM

114 posts, read 373,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Like Mike said, Weatherstone is a very nice custom home neighborhood in a great Cary location (I used to live next door to Weatherstone) with a neighborhood pool/swim team and the elementary school is in the neighborhood. The homes are older, but you might find something updated. Preston is great too, but you have to join the CC to go to the pool which is very expensive (especially since you're not planning on being in the area long term).
Just a point of clarification: Mike said Preston Village which has its own pool so you do not need to join Prestonwood for the pool. Although I realize the OP said Preston. And there are other communities in that general area that have community pools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary