Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:16 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,550 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We're officially coming down over Labor Day weekend. Most people mention that we should stay centrally located -- near RDU. When I think of staying near an airport I think of the surrounding area as being a bit shady (as no one really wants to live right next to an airport unless they have to)...am I wrong about RDU? Can someone recommend a specific hotel/location that's reasonably priced with pool and is nice and clean?

I just want to be in a decent hotel where the surroundings are decent and safe.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 12:29 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
There are plenty of hotels/motels around Crabtree Valley Mall. There is a Marriott and an Embassy Suites, located on either Marriott Drive or Glenwood Avenue. There are also a few hotels, within walking distance to the mall, on Summitt Drive in Raleigh.

North Raleigh is more central to Durham and Cary so that would be my choice. Plus, you get to get in some shopping!

Crabtree Valley Mall is only about 10 minutes from the airport.

Vicki

Old 08-13-2008, 12:32 PM

70 posts, read 285,768 times
Also, an Embassy Suite off of Harrison Ave close to the airport, it is a nice place.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:40 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
Hi everyone. We're officially coming down over Labor Day weekend. Most people mention that we should stay centrally located -- near RDU. When I think of staying near an airport I think of the surrounding area as being a bit shady (as no one really wants to live right next to an airport unless they have to)...am I wrong about RDU? Can someone recommend a specific hotel/location that's reasonably priced with pool and is nice and clean?

I just want to be in a decent hotel where the surroundings are decent and safe.

Thanks!
I understand what you mean, Shoes4Birds. Where I am from, the airport is kinda tucked just outside of town & the area around it is rather run-down & seedy. Oddly enough, that is not the case with RDU. It's centrally located and it's right next to RTP, so there are a number of attractive, safe places to stay. The hotels closest to the airport are in Morrisville. If you want to get a little bit further away from RDU but stay central, you could stay in north Raleigh or southern Durham. All of these areas are safe, convenient, and close to the airport.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:50 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
2nd on either Embassy Suites Hotel, either in Crabtree or Cary.
Lots to do near either, with a variety of restaurants, and good access to the entire area.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:51 PM

70 posts, read 285,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
2nd on either Embassy Suites Hotel, either in Crabtree or Cary.
Lots to do near either, with a variety of restaurants, and good access to the entire area.
If you stay at ES on Harrison, right down the road is Ruth Criss (sp?) steakhouse, good and fancy, but pricey...

Old 08-13-2008, 01:19 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
The RDU area around the aiport is really fine, but it's just kind of in the middle of where and not a whole lot to do out there. The more centrally located hotels like around Crabtree mall just have more things available.
But if you really did want to stay near the airport, it's fine, not shady at all.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:36 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,021,563 times
If you want to explore, RDU is a great area as you are central and it's not too bad to go to Chapel Hill or Wake Forest from there. If you want something to do, I'd suggest Crabtree or Southpoint. Slightly less central (WF is an extra 10 minutes farther from Southpoint, and Chapel Hill is an extra 10 minutes farther from Crabtree) but you'd be able to walk to eat.

When we visited the area, we stayed at the Wyndham RDU/RTP and it was perfectly fine. There are really no "bad" areas amongst these.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:38 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,069 times
There's also a new hotel right in Brier Creek

Old 08-13-2008, 02:58 PM

532 posts, read 2,844,716 times
The Crabtree Valley Mall area is a great place to stay and is so easy to get to from the airport and is convenient to many major roads. There are several hotels on Summit Park Lane such as Mariott Residence inn and LaQuinta. The Residence Inn offered free food (complimentary hot breakfast as well as "Manager's Special" at night and even drinks). Highspeed internet in the rooms as well as a computer for use near the lobby. Nice for printing boarding passes, etc.

When we stayed, there were lots of business people as well as other visitors out looking at homes. It was quite the scene at the end of the day...people would gather in the dining room and start pulling out listing sheets and new home brochures and talking about what they saw that day.

The Residence Inn should be done remodeling all the rooms and the common areas.

Crabtree Valley Mall is just across the street, you could almost walk, but drive instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary