Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:56 AM

38 posts, read 123,225 times

Advertisements

and I haven't even started working here yet.

I was concerned when I saw posts on this forum regarding food prices. I usually shop at Sam's Club for just about everything since we have a family of 6 when my stepdaughter's home from college. So . . . I go into Sam's within hours after my arrival.

The milk in there was a bit more expensive than what I was normally used to at the Sam's Club where I came from. They switched to a funny-looking container and the milk went down to about $3.20 per gallon in Jacksonville. I have youngins and my husband who drinks milk like there is no tomorrow. So between their drinking it and my cooking with it, we go through about 3-4 gallons per week.

The regular grocery stores in Jax had milk for $4.20 per gallon. Even the superwalmart had THEIR brand of milk for the same price. It was NEVER under $3.99 unless CVS or Wal-greens had their milk on sale.

I'm pleasantly surprised that the milk in ALL the grocery stores is the same price as Sam's. And I feel like I'm saving soooooo much money. Other things are relatively the same except for the sales tax on the food. It isn't much but that really should be criminal.

On another note - can anybody recommend a good under-sink water filter? We're renting and I'm coming from my home with a water softener and I can't bear drinking this water. We drink a LOT of water and were considering having a service, but that would be too enticing for a 3yo and 20mo

Thanks a bunch and I REALLY am enjoying Durham and my daughter absolutely LOVES Central Park School for Children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,770,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMP View Post
my daughter absolutely LOVES Central Park School for Children.

Congratulations on getting in! That's like winning the lottery here!!

BTW, Costco isn't too far from Central Park. I prefer them over Sams. My hubby is a big milk drinker too (but we only have 2 kids). But I've often thought I'd save a bunch of money if I just bought him a cow for Christmas one year.

Welcome to Durham!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:19 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,035,732 times
NC is a dairy-deficit state. We consume more than we produce. Higher costs associated with importing dairy products from other states.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:21 AM

673 posts, read 2,269,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
NC is a dairy-deficit state. We consume more than we produce. Higher costs associated with importing dairy products from other states.
This is a good-to-know tidbit.

We actually pay MORE for milk in NC than we paid in Michigan.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Then FL must REALLY be dairy deficient although I literally lived really close to a dairy farm and their name brand milk was $1-$2 more. The milk here is 50-60 cents cheaper than what I'm used to paying in the regular grocery store.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post

BTW, Costco isn't too far from Central Park. I prefer them over Sams. My hubby is a big milk drinker too (but we only have 2 kids). But I've often thought I'd save a bunch of money if I just bought him a cow for Christmas one year.

Welcome to Durham!
I'll have to try out Costco. And re: Central Park, we literally got a phone call Wednesday, July 16 that a 4th grade spot was open and we needed to be here on July 21. Needless to say, I packed up the kids with some clothes, my computer and left Saturday afternoon. All the goodbye's planned were scrapped.

I've mentioned to my husband that we need to buy a cow.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:30 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,228,525 times
[quote=GMMP;4661748]
On another note - can anybody recommend a good under-sink water filter? We're renting and I'm coming from my home with a water softener and I can't bear drinking this water. We drink a LOT of water and were considering having a service, but that would be too enticing for a 3yo and 20mo

QUOTE]

Why not buy one of those water filtering dispensers you can put in the fridge? This way, you aren't improving something in a rental property and you can take the dispenser with you when you move.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,099,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post

Welcome to Durham!
Ha! Wait 'til you have 2 teenage boys. Milk in MA is running close to $4.00/gal. Hope it's cheaper if/when we ever get there.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:41 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,200,582 times
You need the landlord's approval to mess with the plumbing.

Some services loan you a refrigerated dispenser with a regular delivery plan.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:52 PM

236 posts, read 790,437 times
There are many water filtering devices you can use. Some simply screw on your fawcet, and others are a separate container. I rent and have used both. They are very inexpensive (compared to buying bottled water or having a service) and both work quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary