Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 6,267 times

Advertisements

I live in Central Florida and am looking to move to the Durham/Raleigh area and I've been checking weather reports and it looks like that area is actually HOTTER than Central Florida... is that possible? What is the weather like in that area? Is it unbearably hot? Does it ever snow? Do the leaves change color?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,191,259 times
It rarely snows, but we once got 22". There can be infrequent ice events.

Can get good and hot but not usually as muggy as FL.

Leaves do change to very pretty shades.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:52 PM

920 posts, read 2,816,344 times
Raleigh gets all four seasons, and winters are mild compared to the Midwest and the Northeast.

If you're seriously considering moving to NC, I recommend the book 'North Carolina Weather and Climate.' It'll cover everything you want to know.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:55 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,920,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle926 View Post
I live in Central Florida and am looking to move to the Durham/Raleigh area and I've been checking weather reports and it looks like that area is actually HOTTER than Central Florida... is that possible? What is the weather like in that area? Is it unbearably hot? Does it ever snow? Do the leaves change color?
I grew up in Orlando (in a house with no air conditioning no less!) and then lived 10 years in Boston.

The Triangle area is nicely balanced between the two. In the summer it does get hot -- same temps as Orlando in many cases -- but usually much lower humidity, so it doesn't feel as hot. Late July-early Sept. is the worst of it, too.

We usually have a couple of months of nice fall weather with most days in the 50s/60s, and if we're lucky we have six weeks or more of a good spring each year, too. You definitely get changes of color here, not as dramatic as in the mountains or the northeast, but present nonetheless.

Big snowfalls *can* happen here but are comparatively rare; ice storms happen at times too. I've seen snow a few times without much accumulating, but we've had snow stick on the ground a while, too.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:56 PM

115 posts, read 464,772 times
I lived in Titusville for a few years (45 minutes east of Orlando). The Raleigh area is much more comfortable. And you can cool of in the lakes without worrying about alligators.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:22 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,025,882 times
RALEIGH DURHAM WSFO AP, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

Orlando, FL - http://www.sercc.com/cgi-bin/sercc/cliMAIN.pl?fl6628

Climate of North Carolina - http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenorm...Clim_NC_01.pdf

Last edited by mm34b; 07-20-2008 at 10:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary