Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:16 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,713,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In & Out View Post
Of course, anybody that knows anything about numbers and real estate knows you do not go by monthly numbers as they can be affected by the type of homes being sold.
So, for example, comparing the monthly data from May 2008 to that from 2007 would be wrong, because those monthly numbers could be affected by the types of homes being sold. Great, thanks for admitting that the number you're giving us is useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 03:34 PM

551 posts, read 575,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
So, for example, comparing the monthly data from May 2008 to that from 2007 would be wrong, because those monthly numbers could be affected by the types of homes being sold. Great, thanks for admitting that the number you're giving us is useless.

No, I am saying that the overall prices are higher this May than last May, which accounts for all fluctuations over the course of the year. It is the year to year numbers that are more accurate than the month to month numbers. If an extremely large number of million dollar homes sell in one month, it can throw the numbers out of whack. That is why we go by year to year numbers, so it will account for all varieties of homes and be much more accurate. For some reason, you keep throwing out one particular month to month number. I would appreciate it if you would stop speaking for me, as you keep saying I am saying what I am not saying. Thank you very much.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
No, I am saying that the overall prices are higher this May than last May, which accounts for all fluctuations over the course of the year. It is the year to year numbers that are more accurate than the month to month numbers. If an extremely large number of million dollar homes sell in one month, it can throw the numbers out of whack.
So you're saying that if an abnormal number of more expensive homes sold in May 2008 compared to May of 2007, that the simple fact that they were both May numbers would automatically account for the fluctuation. That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day. I think you'll have to show your math here.

Last edited by KCfromNC; 07-12-2008 at 03:53 PM..

Old 07-12-2008, 03:49 PM

249 posts, read 691,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Interesting. A few of the houses that I have bookmarked actually dropped in price a few days ago. :::now praying:::
Hey you better not be targeting the houses we are targeting!! I also noticed a couple of homes that we have bookmarked drop their prices in the last week.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:59 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,069 times
The only real way to tell what home prices are doing is to track individual homes. If you can see what a specific home sold for last year, and was resold for this year. All in all our region is doing just fine, especially when compared to the rest of the country.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:29 PM

551 posts, read 575,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
So you're saying that if an abnormal number of more expensive homes sold in May 2008 compared to May of 2007, that the simple fact that they were both May numbers would automatically account for the fluctuation. That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day. I think you'll have to show your math here.

No that is not what I am saying. You need to chart the numbers (April to April, May to May, June to June) to find the trend and true numbers, which for this area have been very good. I explained it all in a way I believe you can understand in the other thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...se-here-2.html

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-13-2008 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: you cannot say dm me on the forums

Old 07-12-2008, 04:35 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanvald View Post
Hey you better not be targeting the houses we are targeting!! I also noticed a couple of homes that we have bookmarked drop their prices in the last week.
We just might have bookmarked the same ones then.

Tell you what... if we get one of the houses we want, you and yours can get the other ones.

Actually, I just remembered... your price range is much higher than ours. So no conflicts here.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
No that is not what I am saying. You need to chart the numbers (April to April, May to May, June to June) to find the trend and true numbers, which for this area have been very good.
If you did that, you would have pointed out despite this particular month's uptick, that this trend is heading down. Here's the 6 month trailing average of year over year changes in average prices for the entire Triangle :

Nov 5.4%
Dec 5.5%
Jan 4.9%
Feb 3.6%
Mar 3.1%
Apr 1.9%
May 1.3%

I guess these are all positive numbers, but the trend is certainly interesting. And I'm not the only one to figure this out - I pointed out the flat to slightly negative trend lines on the original price data charts in the TMLS stats page before.

Considering that you didn't even know this data existed until I pointed it out, and have forgotten about it already, perhaps a bit more humility in your abilities would be warranted.

The rest of your post is answered in the other thread.

Last edited by KCfromNC; 07-12-2008 at 05:04 PM..

Old 07-12-2008, 05:25 PM

14 posts, read 42,637 times
The data could just mean more homes over 700,00 sold this year.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:24 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,340,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Unless you are paying cash, a home is worth no more than what the mortgage lender's appraiser says it is worth.

And what is wrong with wants? People should understand wants versus needs, but there is nothing wrong with paying for something that is of value to you.
Dire absolutely agree but my experience has been that many people pays for their wants over their needs and become unhappy on what they paid for their house. If one can separate wants from needs and bid appropriately they are far better off.

As far as appraised value. We all know now where that took the home industry to the brink of bankruptcy! I for one do not TRUST an appraised value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary