Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 07:57 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
This is really the best bet. It’s an easy enough trip to the triangle to go exploring on weekends. Saves you money.

And yeah - would not wait a year expecting the market to cool. Waiting for other reasons makes sense but not for the market to cool.

I "third" this... probably the best option for the scenario!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 11:27 AM

89 posts, read 58,712 times
I appreciate all the advice re: renting.
We've had to get temporary housing twice in the past when we were moving out of one place but the next wasn't ready yet, and it's a hassle. That's a big part of why we got the condo, to avoid the stress of trying to coordinate selling and buying. We'll stick with that plan

Old 06-18-2022, 06:49 PM

10 posts, read 6,901 times
This is an interesting thread. We're in a suburb of Rochester and LOVE the Ithaca/Watkins Glen/finger lakes area. If we weren't so miserable looking at clouds and in sub-zero weather for half the year, we'd never leave. We've been to OBX for vacations, and Knoxville area for possible retirement ideas. Know was nice, but once yo uwere out of town, there wasn't much to offer from what we could find. some beautiful scenery, but very remote, and prices for .25ac lots in decent areas were upwards of $25-30k. We'd like to spend a couple weeks next year driving through some towns like Greensboro/W-S/Greenville, then towards Wilmington. i know from reading that this is a pretty broad range of towns, but we'd love to see a variety of NC areas. Wondered how your search is going?? find anything like what you're used to in Ithaca? I'd personally love to be near the cost, but the flooding, hurricanes scare the cr*p out of me. I would build (GC) our home again, and seeing it all get torn apart would ruin me for life.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:10 PM

We actually decided on the Leland area, and are buying a house that's under construction. I also worry about being so close to the coast but decided to go for it. Wilmington is a nice area, we're only an hour from our North Topsail Beach condo which makes it easy to self manage as a rental, and we know some people in the area. We just sold our NY house this past week and are down here for good now! Staying at the condo till the house is ready in August.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:35 PM

10 posts, read 6,901 times
Congrats, good for you. I've thought a bit about finding a fixer-upper condo/TH or similar, and using it as a vacation/jump-off for looking around for future home, then renting it out. I can do much of my own work while i'm still in good health, but don't want to wait more than a handful of years. I saw some nice looking lots in Leland that actually that got us interested in looking around there too. I hear the Wilmington area is very nice.
With our market in WNY right now i'm sure you did well selling in Ithaca.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:39 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
and, some choose to live on a boat...

https://www.ourstate.com/the-liveabo...e-in-beaufort/

Old 06-18-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfive View Post
Congrats, good for you. I've thought a bit about finding a fixer-upper condo/TH or similar, and using it as a vacation/jump-off for looking around for future home, then renting it out. I can do much of my own work while i'm still in good health, but don't want to wait more than a handful of years. I saw some nice looking lots in Leland that actually that got us interested in looking around there too. I hear the Wilmington area is very nice.
With our market in WNY right now i'm sure you did well selling in Ithaca.
Thanks! We bought the condo with the plan to stage our move here but thought it would be a couple of years. Then a friend of a friend was looking to buy a house in our neighborhood but inventory has been low and prices crazy.. so we did a private sale, saved on commissions, we both got a good deal, we couldn't turn away from the message from the universe saying it's time.

I'd be happy to talk more sometime, let me know if you're in the area!

Old 06-20-2022, 06:37 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap8 View Post
We actually decided on the Leland area, and are buying a house that's under construction......
Thanks for following up with what happened. Would you mind sharing which community in Leland will be your home?

Old 06-20-2022, 09:25 AM

Happy to.. we're moving to Northern Lights.. technically Northwest, outside Leland, but the zip code is Leland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary