Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 07:11 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,726,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
Christmas day is typically a
good day to hit some of the higher risk abandoned places

whaaat ?
Exploring of abandoned buildings and places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 08:34 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
Our family (including extended) has gone through a lot over the past 10 years or so, so the holidays haven't been the same. In fact I have come to dread them lately. I haven't even decorated for christmas (no tree etc) and not sure if I can even muster up any motivation to do a little something to try to get into the spirit especially since our daughter plans to visit over the holiday.

So the only bit of advice I can give is to just try to get out of the house for a bit. These are not very good suggestions (because I really don't have many good ideas) but my husband and I will go on drives, get take out (The Pickled Onion is always open) and sit out in nature and take it all in or have a picnic lunch in the car by the Neuse River etc if weather is not great. We've also gone to the parking lot of a dog park and ate our take out just so we can look at all the pups (our two Goldens passed over the past few years).

Hoping you can find something that makes your holiday a little brighter!!

Old 12-13-2021, 10:06 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
There are always a few restaurants and bars open on Christmas. If there is a place you have been meaning to check out look into it this week to see if they will be open Christmas Day. As others have pointed out Chinese is always a popular option,

Some other Ideas:

The Chinese Lantern Festival at Koka Booth is Open on Christmas and Still has tickets for sale

The New Paragon Luxury Movie Theater opens in Cary Parkside Commons this week and will be showing the new Spiderman Movie Christmas Day.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:42 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
You could always go Surfing on Christmas Day like Southern Culture On The Skids: https://youtu.be/RGlc9Z4zB8E

We have gone to the movies in the past. Usually just chill out at home with the 4 of us and watch TV and eat.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:12 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,553 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I appreciate every one of them.
Mow if I can just get my head out of year-end work so I can plan something.....

Old 12-23-2021, 10:45 AM

Any ideas for hotels in Charleston SC in the downtown area? Walkable, historical stuff?

Old 12-23-2021, 12:14 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,184,660 times
I love the Emeline if you want something trendy. It's right off of the market. Otherwise, I think the Hyatt Place is great. It's at the Northern end of King Street, but they still have plenty of restaurants nearby.

Old 12-23-2021, 02:05 PM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
I love the Emeline if you want something trendy. It's right off of the market. Otherwise, I think the Hyatt Place is great. It's at the Northern end of King Street, but they still have plenty of restaurants nearby.
Another +1 for the Emeline. We stayed there this past summer and it's the perfect location walkable to things and very boutique-y. It's been recently completely renovated from its former life as a DoubleTree Suites by Hilton.

There's also a lovely restaurant downstairs and a coffeeshop to in the main lobby. Nice courtyard area too you can dine/lounge in if you're there in the warmer months.

https://hotelemeline.com/
https://www.instagram.com/hotelemeline

Old 12-23-2021, 02:15 PM

Thank you both, and it is really nice ($400/night nice). While I continue to research it's a backup plan for something ever so slightly less expensive. Was looking at Fulton Lane Inn and some others before seeing your suggestions.

Old 12-23-2021, 02:26 PM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Thank you both, and it is really nice ($400/night nice). While I continue to research it's a backup plan for something ever so slightly less expensive. Was looking at Fulton Lane Inn and some others before seeing your suggestions.
Looks like they have a "Naughty of Nice" offer for the holidays right now too. $50 dining/drink credit if you reserve a room here:

https://hotelemeline.com/offer/naughty-or-nice

There's also the "Stay More, Save More" offer which is 3 nights and get the 4th for free:

https://hotelemeline.com/offer/stay-more-save-more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary