Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 10:47 AM

14 posts, read 58,760 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going crazy researching the heck out of the Raleigh area! We have 3 young children and a 4th on the way (due January '09). My oldest will be entering kindergarten in September, and we have boy/girl 3-year-old twins ready for preschool in the fall. My hubby is in the IT field and I'm a stay-at-home mom (for now), but usually a social worker. We're hoping to make the move by the end of the summer so my oldest can get settled and make some friends before school starts. The towns we have been focusing on are Clayton, Holly Springs, Apex, Garner, Cary, etc. We are hoping to come down and take a look when school lets out at the end of June. Where should we start? We don't know any realtors! I've heard rave reviews about Clayton and the schools in Johnston County, and that Wake County is redistricting schools every other year. If you're a native of the Raleigh area or have lived there for awhile, what would you recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! -- Newbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 10:53 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,706,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smatus View Post
My husband and I are going crazy researching the heck out of the Raleigh area! We have 3 young children and a 4th on the way (due January '09). My oldest will be entering kindergarten in September, and we have boy/girl 3-year-old twins ready for preschool in the fall. My hubby is in the IT field and I'm a stay-at-home mom (for now), but usually a social worker. We're hoping to make the move by the end of the summer so my oldest can get settled and make some friends before school starts. The towns we have been focusing on are Clayton, Holly Springs, Apex, Garner, Cary, etc. We are hoping to come down and take a look when school lets out at the end of June. Where should we start? We don't know any realtors! I've heard rave reviews about Clayton and the schools in Johnston County, and that Wake County is redistricting schools every other year. If you're a native of the Raleigh area or have lived there for awhile, what would you recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! -- Newbie
just wanted to say that don't forget Wake County has year round schools, so the new school year starts in JULY right after the 4th (unless on track 4) - so your thought of waiting until September is probably a little late. There are many threads on this board about the schools here in Wake and Johnston county. Bear in mind it is a subjective point of view on lots of it - and most do like the year round school, just not the possibility (as slight as it might be). Otherwise I can't offer any advice on Raleigh, as I live in the southern most tip of Wake County aka Fuquay-Varina

Old 05-16-2008, 11:08 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,662,546 times
WCPSS: Getting Started

I moved here last August and my daughter was put into Track 1 for 1st grade because it was the least crowded. That track starts right after the 4th of July. She didn't have to make up the work and caught right up.

http://www.wcpss.net/Calendars/2007-...year-round.pdf
http://www.wcpss.net/Calendars/2007-...-track-out.pdf

Old 05-16-2008, 11:20 AM

14 posts, read 58,760 times
Wow! Now I'm really confused about the schools! I'm not sure what the whole "track 1, 2, 3, 4" thing means! I'm so used to the northeast and schools run the day after Labor Day until mid-June. I'll do some more research on the Wake County vs. Johnston County schools. Everything in the northeast is done by town, not county, so it's a bit different. I think he would have a hard time if his schedule wasn't consistent at the same school. I have a lot more reading to do! Thanks!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:26 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,779,653 times
Well, they are still young, might ease them into the idea of year-round schools. Outside of Wake county you probably get more house for your money, though.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:28 AM

250 posts, read 1,246,723 times
Don't be scared off by the year round system. It actually works quite well for many families. The idea is your children are assigned a track (it's very rare to have them on different year round tracks) that they stay on until they are no longer at a school with a year round schedule. Each track has a rotating nine weeks on and three weeks off schedule (approx.) such that there are only three tracks in school at any one time. The school years for tracks 1, 2, and 3 begin the first Monday after the July 1st week. Track 4 begins at the end of July/beginning of August. Those tracks that start in early July, stagger their "track outs", such that Track 3 starts school for three weeks and then tracks out (this is when Track 4 starts). Track 2 starts school for six weeks and then tracks out (the is when Track 3 comes back in). Track 1 then tracks out after nine weeks (Track 2 comes back in). Then it's time for Track 4 to track out.

We have a child in year round and we love the schedule. She never gets burnt out in school nor bored on vacation.

Here's the link to the Wake County School site.

Good luck!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:42 PM

30 posts, read 77,398 times
I'm from CT too. We also had the same concerns as you do. Our children are 8, 7 and 4 and we have decided on the Cary, Apex area. Almost called it off a few times because of the school situation but have since learned more and talked to families in some beautiful subdivisions down there. It really is a great place to raise a family, although different from the North East. Clayton was not for us. Very farm-like. We're not from that part of CT. Where are you from exactly. Direct Message me if you'd like. Good luck to you and your family...congrats on the baby too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary