Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 12:27 PM

7 posts, read 4,486 times

Advertisements

I was just looking at the new Seaforth High School building in Chatham county and noticed it doesn't have a pool.

That got me wondering if any of the Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools have pools. I can't find any pictures or info about school pools. Do the High Schools in Chapel Hill not have pools? If they don't, where do the kids practice?

Also, I know that the Chapel Hill Schools swim teams are ranked very high in the state. Is it possible to make the team if you are an average swimmer? I was wondering if they work swimming like some schools work track - nobody gets cut and you practice with the team even if you don't compete?

Last edited by Pranava; 05-12-2021 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 02:06 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
None of the schools in Chapel Hill have pools. I think Carrboro High School practices at Homestead. I imagine the others practice at community pools, too. Growing up in PA, my high school had a pool which meant we had swimming as a unit in gym class, which truly sucked.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:16 PM

7 posts, read 4,486 times
Thanks, michgc! This is very surprising to me as all the high schools in my home state also had pools.

Anybody know where the Northwoods High kids practice?

Old 05-12-2021, 04:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Never heard of a high school in North Carolina with a pool, but there may be some. I grew up in NC, fwiw.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:00 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,498,068 times
I have also never heard of a high school in NC (at least in the Triangle) with their own pool.

I would imagine the high schools in CH all practice at either Homestead in CH or Sportsplex up in Hillsborough.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:25 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
None of the schools in Chapel Hill have pools. I think Carrboro High School practices at Homestead. I imagine the others practice at community pools, too. Growing up in PA, my high school had a pool which meant we had swimming as a unit in gym class, which truly sucked.
Haha, my high school was the same and your are right, it really sucked!!

Old 05-12-2021, 07:29 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,258,427 times
One of the high schools in Greensboro has a pool (either Page or Grimsley, I can't remember). But this was from years ago, so might not have it now.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:43 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,612 times
This one actually is puzzling. When I lived in different parts of Midwest, I knew a bunch of schools had swimming pools. People I worked with had their kids in swim teams, or their PE classes included swimming. I actually went to a high school swim competition once which was in the high school swimming pool. I know a lot of people from TX and none of them had a swimming pool at school except those who went to private schools. Now NC-nians are saying the same thing. I wonder why is that?

Old 05-13-2021, 06:48 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
.............I wonder why is that?
Are you being sarcastic? People in NC apparently don't like to pay the property taxes needed to support pools in high schools.

FWIW, my HS in Massachusetts now has a pool, and how many people gripe about "Taxachusetts"?

Old 05-13-2021, 07:02 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I'm from LI, the capital of high school taxes (separate from actual property tax) and I can only think of two schools that have pools.

One the one had it's kind of surprising here because swimming is so big, on the other hand the kids who are serious swimmers swim for one of the swim clubs anyway and/or their neighborhood swim team in the summer. Even Claire Curzan swims for her neighborhood pool. I'd imagine the space needed along with the upkeep probably makes it not worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary