Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2019, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,354 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My family and I are moving down to North Carolina now that my husband has retired. We also have a 19-month-old. (It's a long story). So my sister has lived in North Raleigh since 1990 and my stepfather and Mother live in by the hedingham golf course closer to knight Dale. We have been down three or four times to look at all different areas. We have looked in Wake Forest, Zebulon, Garner and Clayton. Not so much in Raleigh because the prices seem to be higher. But we really liked the town of Clayton and it's Main Street community and all. We loved the Riverwood Athletic club side and we found a house and there we really liked. I'm sure some people don't like that type of thing where you drive-in and theres this a little town/village and it seemed a little Stepford at first LOL but we really liked it and the fact that the schools are right there in the schools are rated so high it is definitely the draw for us. I've heard flowers plantation is similar although we haven't made it there yet.
So here are my questions. Am I missing a town that would be just as nice in between my sister and my stepfather? Our budget is around 300,000 and we would like at least three bedrooms preferably with a master on the first floor I know there are many tract homes that are available under that budget but my opinion I don't always feel the quality of the work and quality of material are that great and there is literally 3 -7 feet inbtween houses. My dad was a custom homebuilder in New York so I'm a little particular.🙄
My sister Took a ride out to the house and area and I guess it was around 4 o'clock and she was saying that from her house to Clayton at that time of day would be a really horrendous drive in traffic. And that she said that the drive would get old real quick. But I wanted to be a little closer to my stepdad as he's getting older and his little grandson is named after him. ❤️
Another thing that my sister mentioned was that she saw a landfill near by and when she met with The realtor to look at the house the realtor said that there is definitely an odor especially in August. What I'm trying to understand is how that community of Riverwood athletic club would have such beautiful homes in an area that is within the space of landfill? I obviously don't want to live in an area where this is a concern especially because our son is so little.
Also the taxes in Riverwood are double anywhere else? Why is that?
I have read so many good things about Clayton- we liked that the town was out in the country compared to Raleigh in our opinion.
I understand there are many other areas and places to live in Clayton and surrounding areas and I am still open to all those suggestions but I just wanted to know if anyone had any insight on that landfill and specifics? As far is the commute to Raleigh goes we dont have to worry about commuting times- But my sister does have a point. So anyway I guess I'm just looking for some feedback-
I appreciate any information even if you've answered these questions 100 times from other people! 🤣
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 5,486 times
Hi. I used to live in the Riverwood Athletic Club but moved to another town in the area back in 2014. The landfill (assuming there isn't a new one) that is 3 or 4 miles up on Smithfield Road was never an issue for us. I wouldn't have known it was there if I didn't drive by it. I lived right behind the schools though so if you were buying a home closer to the other side of the subdivision maybe you could smell it but I never heard anyone complaining about it (lived there 8 years).

Traffic was definitely getting busier on Smithfield Road and 540 when I was there and since then there has been a lot of additional homes built but I would think most of the worst traffic your sister was talking about was nearer to the North Raleigh area. I have in the past year actually driven from downtown Clayton past Riverwood, up Smithfield Rd to 540 and then to the Morrisville area at 5:00 and it wasn't bad at all. Going the other way would likely be busier as people come home from Raleigh/RTP area though.

As far as the taxes - Riverwood is considered to be in the city of Clayton so you are paying county and city taxes.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:14 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
I'm no Clayton/Joco landfill expert, but ....it appears the closest one is 2.4 miles up Smithfield Rd towards 264/87.

as noted by others, Riverwood is in Clayton city limits, so you're paying those property taxes as well:

Quote:
The current property tax rate for the Town of Clayton is $0.58 per $100 of valuation. To calculate your total property tax bill, simply add the Town of Clayton rate of .55 to the Johnston County tax rate of .78 for total tax rate of 1.33.
they also just had the first property revaluation since 2011 and it just went into effect. So if you're comparing a 2018 tax bill to going forward, it'll be a lot less. Still, one thing that may not hold true for NY - we only revalue every 8-10 years, not annually, and not at the sale of a home (except new construction).

as far as traffic flow, everything goes towards downtown Raleigh and RTP in the morning, and away from it from 4-6:30. Without afternoon commuting traffic out 264/87, it's 20 minutes from Hedingham. We'd have to know a closer location in "North Raleigh" for your sister. But yes, if you were using 540 to 264/87 during afternoon rush hour, it's very busy west of Capital Blvd (US1)

Old 02-04-2019, 07:39 AM

634 posts, read 912,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerychick View Post
Another thing that my sister mentioned was that she saw a landfill near by and when she met with The realtor to look at the house the realtor said that there is definitely an odor especially in August.
Not that it's much of a consolation, but I wonder if the smell was coming from the Neuse River and not that landfill.

I've bicycled the Neuse River Trail quite a bit and it can be ripe, thanks to the bogs, swamps, and upstream sewage treatment plant(s). Swift Creek, in the southern half of the county has the same issues at times.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,354 times
Thank you all for your feedback. I love city data for this purpose!!!

Old 02-04-2019, 11:13 PM

319 posts, read 255,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
Not that it's much of a consolation, but I wonder if the smell was coming from the Neuse River and not that landfill.

I've bicycled the Neuse River Trail quite a bit and it can be ripe, thanks to the bogs, swamps, and upstream sewage treatment plant(s). Swift Creek, in the southern half of the county has the same issues at times.
😧

That is dissapointing news, the Greenway near Clayton was one of the key perks for me considering the area... I hope it isn't a persistent and prevailing problem, the smell.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
😧

That is dissapointing news, the Greenway near Clayton was one of the key perks for me considering the area... I hope it isn't a persistent and prevailing problem, the smell.
I've run/walked on the Greenway for 5+ years and I never noticed a smell coming from it. Now, the landfill...maybe one or two mornings a month do I notice the smell in the Riverwood neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary