Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 02:59 PM

390 posts, read 366,211 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Anyone have positive experiences with a reputable contractor they would recommend? We're looking to screen off part of our existing deck (possibly/probably replacing the deck, given its ~25 years old). Probably not til next year at this point given what we are anticipating the cost to be. We've gotten one quote so far, but probably makes sense to get at least a few for something of this scope.

Also - do folks normally work with the contractor to develop a plan or hire someone else to do so? We know the general gist of what we want in terms of features, but absolutely zilch about the process or specifics (materials, permits, etc.). We're new homeowners and this will be our first substantive home project, so want to do this thing right...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 03:04 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JO783 View Post
Hi all,
Anyone have positive experiences with a reputable contractor they would recommend? We're looking to screen off part of our existing deck (possibly/probably replacing the deck, given its ~25 years old). Probably not til next year at this point given what we are anticipating the cost to be. We've gotten one quote so far, but probably makes sense to get at least a few for something of this scope.

Also - do folks normally work with the contractor to develop a plan or hire someone else to do so? We know the general gist of what we want in terms of features, but absolutely zilch about the process or specifics (materials, permits, etc.). We're new homeowners and this will be our first substantive home project, so want to do this thing right...

Thanks!
I don't have any recommendations, but any good contractor should be able to help you out as far as design/planning/permits goes.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:36 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
There have been several threads on this subject. Use the Search this Forum facility to find them.

This is my recommendation:

Deck, Sunroom & Porch Raleigh-Durham Builders | Structurally Speaking

Jim Brennan, owner of Structurally Speaking, does fine work as a designer and employs only one well-experienced construction crew. He built screened porches for two relatives. In both cases the finished product was superb, better built than the house to which it is attached. Brennan isn't the lowest price guy but not the highest either.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:18 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I don't think the company that did mine is still around. I will mention, however, that be aware that the new pressure treated wood doesn't hold up nearly as well as the stuff that had arsenic and whatever other toxic chemicals in it. My deck is now about 9 years old, and several posts have noticeable rot due to wet conditions in my backyard. Not structurally impacted at this point, but they will need to be replaced/repaired in the future. Had I known this would be an issue I would have required that the posts not be directly in the ground, but instead be up on concrete or brick. I notice that other houses in my neighborhood have brick columns supporting the original decks.

Just something to be aware of as you plan out your screened porch!

Old 07-12-2018, 08:26 PM

757 posts, read 2,082,197 times
I used an amazing contractor to build our screened porch. It’s AJ Shirley from antho.com. He has a structural engineer on staff. He gets the permits. He only uses grade 1, twice kiln dried wood(aka great quality). He will arrange everything. He is super responsive and communicates with you thoroughly the entire process. His quote was right in the middle. He even used a specialty “super screen” that I requested. It took two weeks for completion. They worked hard 10 hr days to get it done. My father is a home inspector and he commented that it was the best work he’s seen. Good luck

Old 07-12-2018, 08:35 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
There have been several threads on this subject. Use the Search this Forum facility to find them.

This is my recommendation:

Deck, Sunroom & Porch Raleigh-Durham Builders | Structurally Speaking

Jim Brennan, owner of Structurally Speaking, does fine work as a designer and employs only one well-experienced construction crew. He built screened porches for two relatives. In both cases the finished product was superb, better built than the house to which it is attached. Brennan isn't the lowest price guy but not the highest either.

I am going to second Jim Brennan of Structurally Speaking. Jim helped us realize what we wanted and has an excellent eye and design ability. We had to hold off on our project but he is my first call when we are ready to start our project.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:38 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
... AJ Shirley from antho.com. ...
Is this spelled correctly? I went to antho.com and found an incomplete website for a web developer.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:09 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Genesis Construction

Outdoor Living - Screened Porches | Genesis Contractors

Old 07-12-2018, 09:27 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
https://anthco.com

Old 07-13-2018, 12:59 PM

390 posts, read 366,211 times
Many thanks all, we will check these out. I had ruled out Jim Brennan based on some extremely spotty reviews, but sounds like he may be worth a second look. Will check out the others too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary