Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 4,408 times

Advertisements

I'm a O.R. Nurse moving to the Raleigh area because my husband took a job there. Does any one have advice on nursing pay,best schools,where to live. HELP Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 08:31 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,439,883 times
Hi dmzier, I can answer the nursing part of your query. My husband and I are relocating to Raleigh Durham area in 2 weeks. We're both nurses, I'm an NP and he is an RN. Not certain where you live now but pay scales are quite a bit lower in the Triangle for RNs as compared to where we are now (Rhode Island). On the up side - there are GREAT places to work and jobs are plentiful. In Raleigh, WakeMed (affiliated with UNC) is a large >700 bed hospital. There is also Rex in Raleigh. In Durham, there is Duke Medical Center, Durham Regional (affiliated with Duke) as well as a VAMC. Then there is UNC Med. Ctr in Chapel Hill. I believe the RN pay scale in the area (average) is around $25-26/hr....much less than up here. NP salaries are close to the same. If there are other nurses out there, please chime in, my information is based on our recent visit to the area.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,408 times
Default open heart nurse

thanks for the reply, and if there are any open heart surgery nurses that have any more knowledge about the pay range for this specialty. I am relocating to the area from San Antonio, Tx. with 4 years experiance and 15 years nursing. where would be the best place to look for a job, to stay in this field.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:02 AM

56 posts, read 99,005 times
ljd1010, you are correct on the info, but wakemed is not affiliated with UNC. They are practically on their own, it used to be a county owned hospital but now it is a none for profit stand alone private hospital with its own rights so to speak.
As for the salaries, it all depends on your experience and your negotiating power. I have heard the benefits are pretty much the same depending on what you desire and put on the top of your list. if you are looking for "name" go with duke, if you are looking for employee care and "respect" go to wakemed.
Rex is just in the middle of both hospitals a little from here and there.
Hope you get more info you need- alternatively you can go to allnurses forum you wil get a better feel of all 4 hospitals in the triangle.

Last edited by wakeforest4sure; 03-30-2008 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: wrong addressing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary