Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:16 PM

22,695 posts, read 36,889,867 times

Advertisements

There isn't a PTA in Wake County that could afford to fund more than one or two TA positions including salary and benefits. That is absurd.

PTA by-laws are very specific about what they can fund as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 08:37 PM

7,080 posts, read 12,370,949 times
Quote:
Wake’s situation has gotten more complicated since “Hope and Despair in the American City” was published in 2009. But there’s no doubt that CMS has far bigger issues with concentrations of poverty and racial isolation, conditions that are linked across the country to academic failure.

So it might surprise you to hear that last year black and low-income students in CMS were more likely than their counterparts in Wake County to pass state exams and graduate. Or that the same is true when you compare white students from both districts.
Better schools in Wake or Mecklenburg?

Old 02-26-2018, 08:44 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,262,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Ok. I got the 2017 economically disadvantaged numbers for WCPSS for each high school from the state's site:
https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.c...l&district=920

Apex: 13.3% ED
Wakefield: 25.3% ED

This averages out to 29.16% economically disadvantaged across Wake county. I do realize that WCPSS is a huge system and there are more challenges and complications because of the size. Seems like we should shoot for each school aiming for that 29% number, though. My concern is that in Wake and other systems like CharMeck and others we seem to be moving away from equity as a goal and moving toward re-segregation. I think it's the right thing to do to level the playing field as much as possible. It just doesn't seem right that one school has a student pop with less than 10% economically disadvantaged while other schools have more than 50% ED.
perhaps they could "reverse magnet" all the < 15% schools. Allow students from higher-ED schools to apply and magnet in, and provide them with transportation. Then, assign the best teachers to them, and the other great teachers to the base population. (which is said with great satire)

Old 02-28-2018, 08:14 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,879,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
That's a disgusting thing to say. If one day you have kids or grand kids who are in economically difficult situations, I hope they aren't in a city full of people with that same logic.

Just fund the schools adequately. Period. If some schools are dumps with unqualified teachers, they need more funds. I don't want my taxes going to fund bratty kids in Meyer's Park or the Raleigh equivalent and have this attitude that they are smarter or more intelligent to those in economically distressed areas.
There have been numerous examples of under performing schools getting very large endowments, resulting in absolutely no improvement in outcome. I don't see how discussing it is "disgusting".

I came from a low socio-economic school system. My parents focused on my education and didn't use our economic situation as an excuse for poor performance.

Money will not fix the problem.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:21 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,879,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Equally and adequately are 2 very different things.
How so?
Can you show where giving additional funding impacts results?
Higher income areas already pay a much larger % of county tax than low income. Are you suggesting taking more?

What lower socio economic families really need are good paying jobs, not hand outs.

Old 01-21-2021, 01:22 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,601,931 times
I recently listened to a podcast and this thread and other comments regarding the WCPSS board's plans for diversity came to mind. The podcast is called "Nice White Parents" and is a "Serial" podcast, it really, truly makes you think. Thought I would share.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:19 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,262,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
I recently listened to a podcast and this thread and other comments regarding the WCPSS board's plans for diversity came to mind. The podcast is called "Nice White Parents" and is a "Serial" podcast, it really, truly makes you think. Thought I would share.
I wondered what revived this topic, and I hope that I don't have to review all my previous answers

I read about 1/3 of this

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/12/92209...grated-schools

and just had to say while it was fresh on my mind ....

nobody bothers to simply ask the Black/Hispanic/immigrant parents what THEY want or expect from education. They ASSUME, or at best base it upon a small minority of Black/Hispanic/immigrant parents that DO say anything.

There's a lot of great intentions, but also a lot of assumptions, amongst the group.

And I'd suggest one wonder where the kids of the School Board go/went.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:44 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,820,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
It really is a good series. I listened to it a few months ago. The disparity in wealth and amount of diversity within the NYC school system is probably among the highest anywhere. Chapel Hill schools have quite a bit, too, but with such a small system, there is less difference between the "best" school and the "worst" school here which takes away some of the problems described in the podcast. Although there are definitely some of the same problems within the individual schools themselves and also with which programs move forward in the district (like LEAP and Mandarin immersion). The podcast really made me think.

Old 01-22-2021, 12:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,692 posts, read 81,510,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMagnolia75 View Post
It’s not just about funding from state and local taxes, it’s about PTA’s and boosters. Some of these school have endowments that are big enough to pay salaries for extra staff, some schools barely have enough PTA money to cover school events.
Yes, state funding is the same. It's the parents that make the difference. Not only the parental oversight, making sure that their kids are doing their homework, and helping them with it, but donating to help pick up what the state funds do not provide for. Just this morning I drove by one of our local junior-highs and they had a sign thanking people for their fund raiser making $42,000. Back when our kids were in elementary school, the "back-to-school" night had a PTSA "pass the hat" event. They raised $24,000 in about an hour.
Even then, it's important to decide what that money is spent on, within legal guidelines. Mostly it's been technology, music, arts and other enrichment programs. Naturally, more affluent areas will have more PTSA funding, resulting in the economic imbalance, which is why people come to places like here at CD to find out about the schools before moving.

Old 01-22-2021, 01:21 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, state funding is the same. It's the parents that make the difference. Not only the parental oversight, making sure that their kids are doing their homework, and helping them with it, but donating to help pick up what the state funds do not provide for. Just this morning I drove by one of our local junior-highs and they had a sign thanking people for their fund raiser making $42,000. Back when our kids were in elementary school, the "back-to-school" night had a PTSA "pass the hat" event. They raised $24,000 in about an hour.
Even then, it's important to decide what that money is spent on, within legal guidelines. Mostly it's been technology, music, arts and other enrichment programs. Naturally, more affluent areas will have more PTSA funding, resulting in the economic imbalance, which is why people come to places like here at CD to find out about the schools before moving.
This right here is why one should listen to the podcast. It may get parents thinking differently about an equitable education for all children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary