Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 08:50 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I don't understand - the white guy waved and said hello to the Indian guy, and you're worried about whites being racist toward Indians? Confused.
I'm also very much confused by this thread... OP, could you clarify what exactly is your concern?

I have many Indian friends and colleagues and have not for a single moment ever wondered about any kind of "Indian culture". It's just wrong to generalize IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 08:52 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,758,043 times
Quote:
I think I may have misunderstood the OP. But in my defense, it's a confusing post.
I think what he (OP) meant to say was that considering some Indians who were raised in India are insular and maybe are not friendly to just everyone passing on the street (maybe that’s their culture) - then that creates a negative attitude towards Indians in general. He brought up that neighbor thing as an example. OP was raised in the US so he has the same American values like saying hi to everyone, neighbors, etc. or is that a southern thing lol!

Old 12-28-2017, 09:00 PM

27 posts, read 65,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You might also have seen something other than what you think you saw. I know a lot of Indian people both from work and from my kids' schools/their friends. Very often at this time of year Indians have relatives visiting them, so it's possible this wasn't a neighbor waving to another neighbor, but rather that neighbor's relative. Think about it, would you wave to your neighbor on a daily basis if they never waved back? Most of the Indian people I know are shy and retiring to the extreme so i doubt the Indian person you saw was trying to be rude, maybe just a true cultural barrier.

I don't know anyone who any issue with the Indians in this area. They assimilate and their kids participate in most activities just like the other kids. They do keep their own cultures and customs but no one seems to mind that I know.
Well it definitely wasn’t a relative since he was getting out of his car. I guess you make a point when you say they’re shy. My mom was taught by her parents in India to “always associate yourself with people just like you”. Of course that wouldn’t work out in the long run. It just felt weird because my American dad taught me all the key American values to. I guess I’m not used to being around my own people. I don’t really see much assimilation. As you said, they stick with their own culture.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:01 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I think what he (OP) meant to say was that considering some Indians who were raised in India are insular and maybe are not friendly to just everyone passing on the street (maybe that’s their culture) - then that creates a negative attitude towards Indians in general. He brought up that neighbor thing as an example. OP was raised in the US so he has the same American values like saying hi to everyone, neighbors, etc. or is that a southern thing lol!
I think you're right.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Yes, except it’s not only being friendly to people passing on the streets. It’s just about being friendly and polite in general. I’m sorry for any confusion, and no, it’s definitely not a southern thing. People in the North are too polite.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
I'm also very much confused by this thread... OP, could you clarify what exactly is your concern?

I have many Indian friends and colleagues and have not for a single moment ever wondered about any kind of "Indian culture". It's just wrong to generalize IMHO.
When did I say I was generalizing?

Old 12-28-2017, 09:29 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Well, really, you don't know anything about either of the people, right? Maybe the person getting out of their car is deaf and didn't hear the other person. Or maybe they just had their mind on other stuff — kid is sick, parent is sick, just lost their job, maybe they had a really bad headache, maybe their dog died. Maybe the person waving is a super big jerk and always harasses the person getting out of the car over something. Maybe that ONE person getting out of the car is a huge jerk and hates the guy waving. You just don't know and can't know. And you can't generalize about the whole Indian culture in Morrisville based on your one observation. I'm sure there are some very nice Indian folks in Morrisville and some jerks and I'm sure there are some very nice white folks in Morrisville and some jerks.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
The most racist thing about this thread is that you came in here assuming someone would say something racist.

I don't understand - the white guy waved and said hello to the Indian guy, and you're worried about whites being racist toward Indians? Confused.
Sorry that I confused you, my OP wasn’t clear enough. I wasn’t worried about anyone saying anything racist. I was worried about someone calling me racist. And that was just an example of the disrespect I’ve noticed.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well, really, you don't know anything about either of the people, right? Maybe the person getting out of their car is deaf and didn't hear the other person. Or maybe they just had their mind on other stuff — kid is sick, parent is sick, just lost their job, maybe they had a really bad headache, maybe their dog died. Maybe the person waving is a super big jerk and always harasses the person getting out of the car over something. Maybe that ONE person getting out of the car is a huge jerk and hates the guy waving. You just don't know and can't know. And you can't generalize about the whole Indian culture in Morrisville based on your one observation. I'm sure there are some very nice Indian folks in Morrisville and some jerks and I'm sure there are some very nice white folks in Morrisville and some jerks.
Very true. But this was just an example, I can give you more if you want.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:48 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
The Indian guy may just have been preoccupied.
It happens, across all demographics.
Or, he may be a jerk.
That happens, but extends across all demographics, too.

Only he knows what he was thinking. Chat with him and see what he says....

Risking a perception of "painting with a broad brush," which is not my intent:

The Indian interface with American community is interesting to observe, and I get to see a fair amount of it in real estate.
Many new construction onsite agents dislike Indians, and work with them only as a profitable nuisance, mandated by their builder/employers.
One agent told me a few years ago, "We call them 'Canadians.'" IOW, a pejorative code word so the whole firm knows what they mean, and pretty clearly in violation of Fair Housing Law.

A great many Indian real estate agents seem to have little respect for American real estate procedures and laws. That is a harsh statement, but not inaccurate in my experience.
The interactions I have had over the years support that. Incompetent paperwork with a cavalier attitude and poor communication are not uncommon.
These attitudes and lack of professionalism can only exacerbate frictions in the interface with new construction agents who deal with it day after day.
And, in a multiple offer situation with an American listing agent on a resale house, that lack of professionalism can be a significant detriment to their clients' buying efforts.

I often get one of two requests from some potential Indian clients:
1. "We don't want to be in a strictly Indian community."
2. "We want to know there is a strong Indian community in any neighborhood where we buy."
Under Fair Housing law, I cannot honor either request, and tell them so.
Some grasp that and appreciate the education. Some just find an agent who does not care about the quaintness of our laws.

I have had Indian clients who formerly worked with Indian agents, who were not comfortable with the service rendered.
And, I have had potential clients with a preference to work with Indian agents.
When language, idiom, nuance are important, as in the fine points of a real estate transaction, I certainly respect wanting to work with someone with local experience that translates well in a common native language.

I find my Indian clients to be...
People.
They want their kids to thrive. They want to be safe. They want assurance that they are making a reasonable purchase. They hope for a good long-term outcome.
Just people.

Many American contractors, particularly the independent tradesmen, just flat-out will not work with Indians. The Americans who are any good at what they do are busy enough, they will decline to struggle with a cultural norm of endless negotiation, and too much negotiation merely for the sport of it.
Negotiation doesn't bother me much. It is a good training ground.

But, for many Americans, endless negotiation after a contract is struck is often perceived as a core integrity issue and a strong irritant.
That seems to be different perception of the process, and can be detrimental to the Indian client reaching their goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary