Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 02:00 PM

7 posts, read 7,984 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the area for a new job in the engineering field. I'm 32, single, have a big stupid dog. I'm not sure if I want to live in Raleigh or Durham. I lived in Chapel Hill about 6 years ago for around 6 months, so I'm vaguely familiar with the area.

Despite being an engineer I'm more of a crunchy granola type. I like to brew beer, grow houseplants, talk to my dog, hike, run; I want to do most of my shopping at farmer's markets or at least from stores with locally sourced foods. I play the violin and piano so, as not to annoy my neighbors, I'm looking to rent a single family home, for under $1300/month.

My job is on the northeast side of Raleigh, so I understand there would be a commute from Durham. I'm not really concerned about the "crime" in Durham, as where I live it's pretty commonplace and I'm used to it.

A quick glance at the housing situation gives me the impression that Raleigh is more suburban and Durham is more hipster, so I'm leaning towards the latter, but I wanted to get some locals opinions first. I do want to make sure I end up somewhere that will facilitate a social life. I'm pretty outgoing so I plan on doing meetups and whatnot but I don't want to find myself in an area that's going to isolate me from social events.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 02:02 PM

6,657 posts, read 5,600,330 times
If you live around downtown Raleigh and the immediate areas surrounding it or NC State/Cameron Village you can still find people that are "hipster-ish" like you - not to the degree like Durham but it'll save you a crazy commute to work.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
If you live around downtown Raleigh and the immediate areas surrounding it or NC State/Cameron Village you can still find people that are "hipster-ish" like you - not to the degree like Durham but it'll save you a crazy commute to work.
Haha, I immediately regretted my usage of the word hipster but there it is.

I actually love driving, right now my commute to work is 5 minutes and I hate it. I like to have at least 20 minutes to jam out to my tunes and just prep for work, so a commute isn't a huge problem. My only issue with a long one would be if my dog needed attention in the middle of the day as she is an older gal.

I'll check that area out, cheers.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:20 PM

19,447 posts, read 27,876,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by araneina22 View Post
Haha, I immediately regretted my usage of the word hipster but there it is.

I actually love driving, right now my commute to work is 5 minutes and I hate it. I like to have at least 20 minutes to jam out to my tunes and just prep for work, so a commute isn't a huge problem. My only issue with a long one would be if my dog needed attention in the middle of the day as she is an older gal.

I'll check that area out, cheers.
There's a difference between driving that is enjoyable and driving in stop and go traffic. That is definately a consideration around here.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:25 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,970,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by araneina22 View Post
A quick glance at the housing situation gives me the impression that Raleigh is more suburban and Durham is more hipster, so I'm leaning towards the latter, but I wanted to get some locals opinions first.
Raleigh is the more urban of the two cities, and Durham is the more hipster, but both have elements of the other, and both are more similar than they are different.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
There's a difference between driving that is enjoyable and driving in stop and go traffic. That is definately a consideration around here.
I worked in Chicago for years and have dealt with it extensively. It doesn't bother me. I like it. I'm weird.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Raleigh is the more urban of the two cities, and Durham is the more hipster, but both have elements of the other, and both are more similar than they are different.
This is good to know, thank you. If there isn't a HUGE discernible difference between the two I think I'd rather stay in Raleigh just because there are a few amenities in the city (the climbing gym for sure) that really appeal to me.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:09 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,355,859 times
I think you can find what you're looking for in Raleigh. I'd look more around downtown than North Raleigh, but there might be some stuff up that way, too.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:35 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,414,484 times
Oh gosh its a hipster!!! Stay away you terrible hipster! CapitalBlvd get the hipster-a-way spray! Im messing with you, its an inside joke OP. Durham sounds like its your fit... and yes your weird for liking traffic... in Raleigh i would consider Downtown for sure. Maybe Cameron Village? If outside downtonw north hills is the spot i guess. In terms of farmers markets, if your in downtown raleigh you wont be far from the state farmers market.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:56 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,237,376 times
East of downtown (hello Longview) would fit your bill. Brentwood (just north of beltline, just west of US1/Capital) would fit your bill. The key is rent rates. You won't find detached in Cameron Village or anywhere east of US1 downtown that's $1,300 or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary