Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 07:50 AM

5 posts, read 16,518 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me any info about living in Sandford. I'm thinking about moving and haven't really heard anything about this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 08:15 AM

66 posts, read 337,468 times
I think you mean Sanford???

Old 03-18-2008, 08:26 AM

932 posts, read 1,276,038 times
Sanford is south of Raleigh.

Reasonable housing costs. Not much going on there- most professionals commute to Raleigh or Durham for work.

Don't have stats, but I think crime is slightly higher there, as well as unemployment. Again, not sure, but I think I'm right on that.

My mom lived there for almost a year before she decided she didnt like it and moved.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:21 AM

144 posts, read 497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
Sanford is south of Raleigh.

Reasonable housing costs. Not much going on there- most professionals commute to Raleigh or Durham for work.

Don't have stats, but I think crime is slightly higher there, as well as unemployment. Again, not sure, but I think I'm right on that.

My mom lived there for almost a year before she decided she didnt like it and moved.
Is there a crime map that you can check out that is specific to city neighbourhood, zipcode/ area wise. I know Cary publishes one but am wondering if there is any for Realgih (or more specificaly for Wake Country where it is unincorporated areas)
Cary Map - Crime Data

Last edited by nickandy; 03-18-2008 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Added the URL

Old 03-18-2008, 09:41 AM

892 posts, read 3,164,239 times
I have heard mixed sentiments about Sanford. I have driven thru it a few times and found it not much worth the mention. Seemed kinda neglected and backwards from what I recall. Do know folks that live there and love it, even making the commute to RTP. Just all in what you are used to/looking for I suppose.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:56 PM

635 posts, read 3,095,458 times
Thumbs up Here are some threads on the subject, Sanford that is :)

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...t-sanford.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ml#post1036772

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...hlight=sanford

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...e-sanford.html

Keep in mind that crime statistics are often skewed by population densities. Sanford may have a slightly higher crime rate than say Cary, but that's often also driven by economics. Sanford is more blue collar than cities like Cary, but I honestly feel "safer" in Sanford than say Fayetteville(obviously depending on location).

We live in a downtown historic neighborhood, which like a lot of urban neighborhoods does have some crime challenges due to pockets of urban blight and transit non-resident traffic. But the city has been very responsive to help us manage issues when they arise, and its certainly better than what we experienced in much wealthier cities such as San Jose, CA where we moved from. Also, if one lives in any of the suburban areas, it really isn't any different than anywhere else in the triangle I've been... except much more bucolic

Being a mid-sized city, Sanford has just about anything you need(except a nice bookstore.. ah hem), and maintains a nice small town feel. It is true that if one is looking for a bustling metro area, hip pedestrian "village-esque" downtown, duelling big-box stores, or the latest broadway musical to come through... Sanford may not be for you. But for many, that is actually attractive. And keep in mind that one can find any of those within 30 minutes in almost any direction. So it just depends on what one is looking for.

I'd recommend coming to town one day, driving around, and walking through the stores downtown.

And last but not least:

City of Sanford, North Carolina - The Official Government Website

The city has been very responsive to many of our needs over the last 18 months, and we even get personal phone calls from our ward's city councilman when we have a problem or request. I was even able to setup a debate for just our neighborhood at a neighbor's house. That's really a great benefit of living in a mid sized city. You don't get lost in the crowd!

I think Sanford is a nice place to live, and has loads of additional potential. As more folks discover the area, its unique location, and low cost of living, it will only continue to get better.

In my opinion, it sorta is an undiscovered gem in the area... but maybe not for too much longer

Hope that helps!
Al

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 04-28-2008 at 03:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary