Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,883 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed over the past couple of weeks a change (the worse) in the smell and taste of the water in Cary? I find the smell more noticeable when the water is heated.

A year or so ago they said an algae bloom was affecting the taste. I did not find anything on the website, other than confirmation that seasonal variation exists so I am wondering if anyone else has noticed a change. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Just the last couple of days, but yes. But it tastes like chlorine to me, and they may be doing their annual whatever they do with the chlorine.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:00 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
Each March, Cary makes a slight change to how they treat their water. It may be that change that you are noticing:

"The Cary/Apex Water Treatment Plant uses a relatively new process with special concrete treatment basins called Super-Pulsator Flocculator Clarifiers for removing particles from the water. Each Super-Pulsator Clarifiers can treat up to 8 million gallons of water a day. These devices save money because they require less space than conventional sedimentation basins.
The basins use a vacuum chamber for pulsing action as water flows upward, becoming clearer as larger particles settle. Pulsing prevents particles from settling completely, and over time these particles form a blanket that helps filter water as it flows upward through the basins. The plant also has 10 multi-media filters that remove finer particles. Ozone is used to disinfect, remove organics, and control taste and odor. Ammonia and chlorine are added for final disinfection except each March when ammonia is suspended."

Town of Cary : Water Treatment

Old 03-21-2017, 09:47 AM

238 posts, read 239,176 times
I noticed a metallic/rotten egg type smell recently, it is strongest during the first few seconds of opening the faucet. Good to know that it's not just me.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:54 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
I noticed a metallic/rotten egg type smell recently, it is strongest during the first few seconds of opening the faucet. Good to know that it's not just me.
Yes! My wife tried to blame it on me not cleaning the sink. Glad to know I'm not crazy.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:29 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,883 times
Thank you all! At least I know it is not just me or my house.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:02 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
And pretty much all the water providers in the Triangle are doing this right now, so it could be anywhere.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:17 PM
ERH

1,701 posts, read 2,532,679 times
Have any of you experienced the occurrence of small black speckles appearing in your tub or shower? They look like someone sprinkled toner cartridge from a laser printer in there. They appear to be petroleum-based, too, because when you rub one, it only smears it, and they're not at all easy to clean. The only thing I've found to remove them is Goof Off!

We thought initially that the flow-stopper gasket thing was breaking down, but now the specks are appearing in both tubs. Hubby is getting ready to tear the fixtures down tomorrow and see what's going on.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:04 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
Sometimes they do get a few bits like that in the water when they change out carbon filtration media, but it is quite possible it's coming from your expansion tank, usually located near the water heater. It has a rubber bladder inside and when it goes, it can definitely give you these black specks. https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/20...xpansion-tank/

Old 03-26-2017, 07:10 PM
ERH

1,701 posts, read 2,532,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Sometimes they do get a few bits like that in the water when they change out carbon filtration media, but it is quite possible it's coming from your expansion tank, usually located near the water heater. It has a rubber bladder inside and when it goes, it can definitely give you these black specks. https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/20...xpansion-tank/
Thanks, Sheriff, that is indeed the problem. Bless you for steering us in the right direction!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary