Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 05:06 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times

Advertisements

It's occurred to me that I come off on here as hating Raleigh, as most people would see it, or hating the Triangle or the state of North Carolina in general. I do not, on all counts. But first and foremost, it's not the place to live for the Tar Heel-born lady I love, and that means it's not the place for me anymore, regardless of how I feel about the area.

I think I've sufficiently covered what I feel are the shortcomings for the RDU metro. So this is not the intent of this topic. It's rather the opposite. I want to spread a little sunshine. Or rain, if that's what y'all would prefer. I've seen more rain in the last year than I care to for a good while (including today).

-First of all, if it was still down the road from me, tonight I probably would be going to Stevenson's BBQ @ McGee's Crossroads for the purpose of eating probably more pulled pork (vinegar) than any health-conscious human being would ever imagine. Doing the same at a *pig-pickin'* is just as good, probably better, because I will probably be offered a beer to go with that BBQ/slaw sandwich. We can do the pork shoulder in the oven thing and make the vinegar sauce but it's just not the same to me.

-Those random, exploratory night drives around Raleigh. After 11pm, the 50th(?)-largest city in the United States pretty much rolls up the sidewalks, with a few bastions of life on Glenwood extending into a small slice of downtown, and around NCSU. That whole scene itself isn't my thing anymore (college-age people) but people-watching is always cool. It also makes you ponder the limitless potential of Downtown Raleigh, which could be reached with the proper handling. Then from there I might go to Western/MLK Boulevard and go past state then catch the back toward 40 to go home or go east and go MLK or Lenoir or whatever to take Rock Quarry and go home that way. All the construction downtown turned me off of going there other than when I had to during normal operating hours (this was in 2006, mind you) but at night there was the freedom to roam without obstacles (other than the occasional sobriety checkpoint - no problem here. I couldn't afford booze the way it's jacked up at ABC anyway)

-Sitting in the parking lot of the Bojangles @ Jones Sausage and "40 Highway" (to put it like the locals do), around quarter to 7am, fueling my lagging brain functioning with a sausage and gravy biscuit to decidewhether to tackle 40 and the Belt or the Rock Quarry/Sunnybrook school bus quagmire. Every day is a battle in the war of life...better have a plan.

-I wouldn't mind milling around downtown Smithfield again with no intent other than to explore (yes, you could say that's an offbeat hobby of mine) and get exercise. For all its dinginess and social backwardness, Smithfield has a weird charm about it. And the Ava Gardner museum. And the Ava Gardner post office. And more flea markets than you can shake a Doobie Brothers 8-track at.

-I also liked the old part of Clayton (downtown, Main/Lombard) and I'm happy to hear they're getting some new restaurants and stuff there. Main is extremely narrow and people parallel park on the side of the street, so it was always an adventure driving on it during the day - or worse, trying to pull out of one of those parking lots with little room or visibility. But I always got a cool vibe walking around there. I know a lot of smaller towns here in Texas that left their old downtowns for dead even if there was development somewhere else (like there is in Clayton). But Clayton's old town center actually has something to it amidst the widening sprawl and newer and shinier development.

-It really was boring as hell, but as it was, life wasn't all that bad in the subdivision I lived in that straddled the Wake/Johnston county line (the house was maybe 200 yards from the line; I could've whipped out the driver to send a couple golf balls from the front yard literally into the next county ) It was quiet, most of the time...

-Duke's Mayonnaise. Technically I can get it in Houston, but because only one specialty market carries it (this is the whole metro area we're talking about). What I miss is that people don't cook with it here for that reason. That stuff ruined me for life. I can't eat coleslaw or potato salad made by heathens using Hellman's or Kraft or whatever (they're all the same, Duke's is the only one without sugar). No offense to my folks.

-Scraping off the windshield in the morning in 26-degree weather was about as fun as the whole drive to WakeMed in the morning rush, but living in a place where actual winter occurs every year and not every once in a solar eclipse was rather novel. It got old around the start of February though. I arrived shortly after Christmas '05 and left in late January '07, so I pretty much got to see two winters there. Including one dusting of snow and one icestorm. Thankfully I did not have to partake in driving during the latter, and watched the carnage on WRAL instead.

-The sports. It's rare to see college get top billing in the local media in any major or even semi-major city (I won't go there...) so watching and following basketball was fun. Then there was the Hurricanes and their '06 run. I was in Raleigh the same night the Stanley Cup was handed over at RBC. I wasn't in the building, but it was good enough.

And this is probably long enough. I'm sure there's someone else out there who has left the Raleigh area, misses something about it and might share their thoughts.

Have a good one, and maybe a little rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 07:38 PM

915 posts, read 3,180,688 times
I left Raleigh about 1.5 years ago. There things that I missed. I am mostly missed my family and friends. There are a couple locations in Raleigh that I missed mostly because of sentimental value. Those area such as
1) Raleigh Apartments -- good times..met a lot good friends there
2) Jackpot - good times..met a lot good friends there and some *******s
3) Hillsborough st near NCSU - used to live at Pogue St
4) Some random locations
5) my old boss- he is like a dad to me.
6) driving late night going home
7) sitting at my old place at Boylan Ave, drinking beers in a nice night.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:14 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
jfre81,

Cool post. FWIW, I don’t get the impression you hate the Triangle. Your posts have a Dennis Miller (from his SNL days) type flare to them. I am not as familiar with the Clayton area in general but it is interesting to read about what people miss about the Triangle once they move from the area.

By the way, you are in Texas now right? I am looking forward to seeing the way your state votes in the democratic primary/caucus tonight.

Sadly North Carolina's Primary isn't until May 4th and it is hard to imagine Hillary and Obama still running neck and neck after tonight!

Old 03-04-2008, 12:44 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Thanks NRG....

Yeah, I'm in Houston. My personal philosophy this election here is "Anyone But Hillary" This is the first time in a good while that Democrats/progressive independents in Texas have had any national relevance. It has yet to be seen how that will carry over into November, and whether it's the lack of Republican confidence or any real political shift in Texas....the cities are pretty moderate but them's some good ol' boys out in the burbs and beyond....I could see the same scenario playing out in NC next month and the general election, especially if Obama wins. The list of "swing states" might be a little longer this time around....

Though I'm not his biggest fan or anything, I always thought local boy John Edwards would carry NC and perhaps another Southern "red" state or two if he ever got a DNC nomination.

I also miss RDU, the airport. It's very similar to Hobby in Houston (the smaller one), easy to get in and out of. You get off the plane, pick up your bags and you can walk right outside to your ride out. This doesn't really happen at larger airports like IAH (Houston's big one). I tend to walk a lot, but I don't feel like doing a long hike right after sitting on a plane for three hours or so, just to get where I need to go.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:23 PM

40 posts, read 122,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

-Scraping off the windshield in the morning in 26-degree weather was about as fun as the whole drive to WakeMed in the morning rush, but living in a place where actual winter occurs every year and not every once in a solar eclipse was rather novel. It got old around the start of February though. I arrived shortly after Christmas '05 and left in late January '07, so I pretty much got to see two winters there. Including one dusting of snow and one icestorm. Thankfully I did not have to partake in driving during the latter, and watched the carnage on WRAL instead.

This had me laughing so hard! Since Raleigh rarely gets below 'chilly' in my opinion, and when there is even a dust of snow on the ground everybody turns into an idiot. I have never worn anything but sandals in Raleigh, and I am not a Northern transplant, though I have lived in places with real winters. We only have to get from Knightdale to Wakemed, just straight down 64, but if one snowflake has fallen, people here are suddenly completely unable to control their vehicles. Wakemed practically shut down for that "ice storm". Where my family is from (Ohio), they wouldn't even have delayed school for that storm.

Thanks for the happy post, I never got the feeling that you were anti Triangle, either. I like your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary