Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 08:50 AM

42 posts, read 55,854 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My kid will be starting middle school in Sep (assigned to Mills Park) and it's time for magnet applications . Any pros/cons of Mills park middle vs martin middle/carnage middle from parents with kids currently going there would be very helpful!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 04:09 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
well right now, Mills park is capped. While most rising 6th graders would gain admittance, it's possible you won't - I guess we'd have to know more about your other kids and living situation.

Martin is fairly difficult to get admission to. I don't know if they still give any preference for "tracking" elementary magnet students in the same program. But it has a lot of electives and all the base and magnet students I know that attend Martin love it. I'd be hard-pressed to think of a higher-affluence base population for a middle school magnet than Martin.

Carnage is also a very-desired school, though I know fewer people that go or have gone there. You should be aware that it's a magnet in the original sense - it offers programs to attract students that aren't exactly in its base socio-economic and educational achievement background.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:34 PM

42 posts, read 55,854 times
Thanks for your imputs. I got the middle school assignment for mills park middle last Friday for the upcoming school year for my kid. You are correct about the elementary magnet students getting preference. How is mills park middle compared to martin middle?

Old 01-12-2017, 02:32 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times
My daughter went to Martin and is now at Enloe. It's really hard to tell you which would be better without knowing what your child is interested in.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 3,950 times
Hello, Moving to the area and trying to learn more about the system. What is a Magnet Student?

Old 05-14-2019, 05:14 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
Wake County has a county wide school system. Certain schools are designated as magnet schools that offer specialized learning opportunities such as International Baccalaureate, language immersion, arts, gifted/talented, etc. Each magnet school has a base, but other seats are filled by an application diversity lottery. You are designated a magnet student if you are accepted into the school via lottery. Magnet status gives you priority when you are applying to the next level of magnet schools, as most of them follow a track.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:56 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Wake County has a county wide school system. Certain schools are designated as magnet schools that offer specialized learning opportunities such as International Baccalaureate, language immersion, arts, gifted/talented, etc. Each magnet school has a base, but other seats are filled by an application diversity lottery. You are designated a magnet student if you are accepted into the school via lottery. Magnet status gives you priority when you are applying to the next level of magnet schools, as most of them follow a track.
And most importantly, the application window is closed and selections made for this coming school year.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:10 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times
1) Mills Park has a strong focus on academics. Does Martin have the same focus or is it more focused on electives?
2) How to find out what Elementary Magnet schools feed what Middle Magnet schools
3) Is it guaranteed that a kid in Elementary Magnet school will automatically get in Middle Magnet school?

Old 05-14-2019, 07:22 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
Martin is a gifted and talented middle school and feeds into Enloe. I’m sure it has the same strong focus on academics.

You can see a list of which magnet schools feed into each other here: https://www.wcpss.net/cms/lib/NC0191...20Dec%2017.pdf

Magnet students in elementary school have priority after siblings are placed. You have the best chance if you continue your pathways, but you’ll still have priority over non magnet students if you decide to switch to a different pathway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary