Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:19 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times

Advertisements

I grew up with well water in Northern Wake County and our first well had 0.25 gpm. Yes, my parents dug again, and the second well was about 15 gpm. But at no time the the well diggers claim we were hitting different aquifers. As I understand it well depth and flow are a function of the rocks and sediment, not just the aquifer.

RaleighBoundGeek cited his source, North Carolina Division of Water Resources . I looked at it. The groundwater mapping he mentioned is here: Ground Water Database Access Yup, looks like most of Wake County is on the same major aquifer. For all I know there might be minor ones they don't mention, but according to the map it is one. Surfing around a little, I found the page on groundwater particularly interesting. What is Ground Water?
Check out the section at the end describing how Kinston's well pumping created a saltwater intrusion problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 09:21 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
We don't draw from a single aquifer. Who ever posted that just doesn't know what they are talking about. If that were the case then maybe they can explain why my well is 105 ft. deep and draws 15gpm but my neighbor's well which is located 30 ft. from mine is 330 ft. deep and only draws 4gpm?
You are both a little right. I know a thing or two about wells and hydrogeology. While it is true that not every well in the Triangle pulls from the same aquifer (some shallow wells pull from smaller surficial aquifers ~ these are the ones that go dry first usually). However, it is not true that each well is pulling from its own unique water source. Sure you and your neighbor may be pulling from different water sources, but chances are there are many others who pull from the same sources as you and your neighbor. Your aquifers may even connect at some point (not every aquifer is "confined"). Hard to tell without looking at the soil cores from the drilling process or conducting a an aquifer step-drawdown analysis. It would be nice if there was an aquifer or underground stream for the sole use of each individual well user, but we both know that isn't the case.

FWIW, the difference in pump rates between your well and your neighbors could be caused by numerous things and may have nothing to do with the water source. You actually could be pulling water from the same aquifer and get different pump rates. The depth of the well, the head pressure, the strength of the pump, the screening of the well riser ect..... all play a large role. A lot can go wrong during a well install job even when done by an experienced driller. I've seen wells installed at the same exact depth only 20 feet away from each other with both wells having vastly different pump rates.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Exclamation exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Because the area is still in an EXTREME DROUGHT!!!!!! Even if it were full they should still keep us in stg.2 restrictions. If they were to loosen the restrictions, people would go back to their wasteful habits. .
This is exactly my point, if the drought will be over then why keep restirctions in place? CONTROL, this is fear mongering people into control. I understand when there is a drought and I am not talking about that but rather than when ther eis not a drought. That means when the lake is full then it is over. Cant say it will never be over forever, thats playing God.

How did we survive for so long without these restrictions (when there was no drought).

Some people didnt have wastefull habits so why should the good people suffer for the bad people? I have seen the "weather men" wrong so many times that a prediction of a future seasons weather is a joke. Hey what happended to that extreme hurricane season they predicted?

Old 04-04-2009, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,824 times
Forgive me if this is a duplicate posting. I just signed on and do not see the post I tried to send.

I just heard a rumor---only rumor---that Bev Perdue wants to tax well owners $50 per month. Six hundred dollars a year tax for our own wells?
Here is a link to an article I found regarding taxing of private wells.

Government Meters On Private Water Wells Coming Paying Tax On Water You Already Own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary