Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 04:31 PM

246 posts, read 247,132 times

Advertisements

I am looking to have a ceiling fan (preferably this one) installed in a room where there is no pre-existing ceiling light or fan installed. This room is located on the first floor (so no easy attic access). Home Depot and Lowes both told me they are not able to install ceiling fans with no pre-existing wiring and I must consult an electrician to perform the work.

Which electrician would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 05:11 AM

273 posts, read 563,878 times
I recently used ARC Electric and thought they were very good and would use them again in a heartbeat. They switched out a bad dryer outlet for me. Had the look over some other stuff while there. Very knowledgeable and they warranty their work.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:56 AM

545 posts, read 1,608,521 times
I am doing the same down at the beach. Please post whatever estimate you get so I cna compare it to mine to make sure I am not getting ripped off.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:20 AM

1,703 posts, read 2,602,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitlover View Post
I am doing the same down at the beach. Please post whatever estimate you get so I can compare it to mine to make sure I am not getting ripped off.
It's difficult to make comparisons because this job may involve a considerable amount of sheetrock removal, repair, and paint. The total cost will depend on the distance to the nearest suitable branch circuit and the direction of the joists.

In the best case a branch circuit in the room above the new fan can be extended downward through the floor, into an inter-joist space which aligns with the new fan location.

In the worst case a new branch circuit must be run from the load center to the new fan location.

Both cases increase in cost if the customer wants wall switches to control the fan and (separately) the fan light.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:33 AM

545 posts, read 1,608,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
It's difficult to make comparisons because this job may involve a considerable amount of sheetrock removal, repair, and paint. The total cost will depend on the distance to the nearest suitable branch circuit and the direction of the joists.

In the best case a branch circuit in the room above the new fan can be extended downward through the floor, into an inter-joist space which aligns with the new fan location.

In the worst case a new branch circuit must be run from the load center to the new fan location.

Both cases increase in cost if the customer wants wall switches to control the fan and (separately) the fan light.

Mine, they can't come in from above because that's someone else's condo. The light over the dining table is about 6 ft away, so I'm hoping they can hook into that somehow. Not sure which direction the joists run, though. Worst case scenario they can run the wiring along the ceiling and use those cord covers over it and paint; not sold on that option.

If it ends up costing too much, we just won't do it. $500, maybe. $700 or more, not worth it IMO, will stick w/ the pedestal fan. Kinda more interested in the overhead light more than the fan anyway,

Old 11-13-2016, 12:52 PM

22,728 posts, read 36,950,779 times
We had a can light put in a dark corner of our kitchen a couple of years ago where there was no existing wiring, as well as an outlet out in a closet (for charging handheld vacuums, etc) Jay Briggs from Briggs Electric did the work, can't say he can do it for you without seeing the set up but I will say an experienced electrician can probably help you figure something out most times. Jay happens to be very neat which I value, and electrical work tends to be messy.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:25 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,365,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbny2076 View Post
I recently used ARC Electric and thought they were very good and would use them again in a heartbeat. They switched out a bad dryer outlet for me. Had the look over some other stuff while there. Very knowledgeable and they warranty their work.
We used them recently and really liked them, too.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:25 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,597,384 times
We've used First Call Electric for multiple jobs and always been impressed with both the quality and cost.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:37 PM

230 posts, read 256,790 times
My brother, Dennis, owns an electrical company. He said it sounded like this might be around a few hundred. He owns Clear Light Electric. (919) 264-3094.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:02 PM

246 posts, read 247,132 times
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. In the end I decided to get a couple of table lamps, tower fan, and a wireless light switch instead of having an electrician mess with the drywall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary