Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 12:50 AM

37 posts, read 63,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Here's a small piece from a Wilmington paper about the murders. It was Raleigh's first multiple murder case, and it was a big deal.

Wilmington Morning Star - Google News Archive Search
Weren't there some kind of lesbian love triangle murders, in Raleigh, back in the 70's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdshaw07 View Post
Suburban Market aka "The Little Store"?
Indeed.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Hey, I saw King Kong there, too! It must have closed right after that.

I remember seeing Earthquake ("with Sensurround!") at The State and seeing my (5th-grade) teacher there. Of course, it was always freaky to see your teacher in "regular" situations, in elementary school.
Only movie I remember seeing at the State was the original "Dirty Harry".

Old 06-01-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmkish View Post
...you bought one of your first bikes from Flythe...

....you used to eat at Hang Chow

....Fried Chicken from the Golden Skillet..

I bought my 10 speed (French) Gitane @ Flythe's, when they were still downtown. I think they also carried Columbia(?) bicycles. Before they cashed in on the 10 speed craze, I knew them mostly as a lawnmower store. After they cashed in on the bike craze, they became just a bicycle store. I think they moved to Peace St.

Schwinnn & Raleigh bikes were carried by someone else, out off North Blvd. (?).

Old 06-01-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I too went to Millbrook Junior High and then to West Millbrook for my last year of Junior High. Millbrook Jr. High was the only school I attended that had a second floor. I thought that was really cool for some reason.

Remember when North Ridge and Carolina Country Clubs were in their older more "contemporary" buildings? It seems like everything in Raleigh has gone through one or more facelifts.
-I hardly recognize Millbrook High School anymore
-Crabtree has gone through several renovations and expansions
-Cameron Village's initial "update" was with those barrel vaulted skylit canopies and blue sign panels.
-North Hills was renovated and was nicer than Crabtree for a few years prior to Crabtree's most recent incarnation.
-Falls Village doesn't look like the same place anymore but the TJ Maxx is still there.
-Big Stars became Harris Teeters
-New Hope, Millbrook, Duraleigh and Blue Ridge were actually separate roads!
-Lynn and Spring Forest were also separate roads
-I can't even begin to talk about the differences at the airport. Newbies to the area wouldn't believe how tiny it was 30 years ago....infill McMansions are bigger.

Does anyone remember when Six Forks repainted to add a turn lane and everyone was freaked out because you could see both the old set of lines and the new ones. We jokingly called it Double-Double, Vision-Vision, Avenue-Avenue.
How about when Colonial became Big Star?

Old 06-01-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcodgette58 View Post
Gene Jenkins amy have been one of Pat Paterson's creation at WKIX ......remember Johnny Dollar..Thundermott's Airline.
And 2 Flags Over Fuquay. Genius here, always thought it was Fundermott's Airline. Apparently I should have had my hearing checked long, long ago.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
DUH!! I should know this; I , too, grew up right up the road from there! I knew "Millbrook Park" didn't sound quite right! Were you old enough, the ONE year the pond froze over (Winter of 1977) to go out and walk on it? We were on the local TV news

That I do not--even though I went to St Timothy's for 1-2nd grades.

Used to be over by the Tara (I think) Apartments that aren't there now.
As I recall, when Tara was still there, Ramblewood connected Six Forks & Lassiter Mill Rd.
We kids referred to it as just blacktop.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighmark View Post
I've done most off these things.
I remember WKIX very well. Pat Patterson, the heiney winery, two flags over Fuquay...good times.
But your going to have to help me with the original char grill!?!
Remember when Mrs. Charles, the little old Greek lady would serve you hotdogs at the Roast Grill. mmm I ate there today.

From the original post Jimi Hendrix didn't play at the civic center, he played at Dorton Arena. My brother saw Led Zepplin at Dorton. LED ZEPPLIN Man that place has horrible acoustics. It was originally for showing livestock. For my generation (I'm 46) the coming of age was the KISS concert at Dorton in '76 I think it was.

As far as the Holiday In...err Clarion downtown I'm pretty sure the top never revolved.
Dorton had horrible acoustics. That's an understatement.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbear View Post
Where was the original Char Grill that opened and closed?

Everytime I pass by what was Deveraux Meadows, I sigh. Living nearby it would be cool if we had a minor league team playing there. Anything would be better than the Sanitation garage.

What was that area around Peace like back then?

I remember a Char Grill on Hillsborough St in 65.

In the late 60's, Jr. High football games were also played at Deveraux Meadows.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis View Post
Going to Darryl's steakhouse on HWY 70 in the middle of nowhere and eating in the jail cell or the elevator.
--took her out there, on my first official date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary