Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 12:19 PM

13 posts, read 16,231 times

Advertisements

Hello all, Thank you in advance for any recommendations or insight you can offer. We (myself, husband, preschooler, and baby) are traveling to the Triangle in a few weeks to conduct due diligence for a possible move. We are staying in downtown Raleigh, but hope to do a fair bit of exploring during our trip. Do you have recommendations for new build or established neighborhoods we should check out? If we end up moving, we would focus on finding a home (1) at or below $1 million (2) with room for a large "resort style" backyard w/ pool, (3) in a convenient area (say, within 20-30 minutes of the airport, downtown Raleigh, and RTP) and (4) hopefully in an area with good public schools. It would also be great to end up in a neighborhood where the power lines are grounded - we currently live in a beautiful view neighborhood but there are power lines everywhere and it drives me bonkers!

I am enamored by the ITB neighborhoods on my google map "strolls" in the area, but it seems like most of the homes that I see listed for sale don't have space for the type of backyard we would like. We also live in a house from the early 1900s now and I know the upkeep on the historic homes can be a bit intense. We wouldn't end up relocating for a year or so, but we are just hoping to get a general sense of what housing is like out there (not necessarily that will be available when we move). So far on my list of particular communities to check out are: Haywood and Barton's Grove (Homes by Dickerson), Grey's Landing and Pinebrook (Ashton Woods) and some of the communities close to Umstead Park (not sure of names?). If you have any thoughts or advice, please let me know. Also, can you please let me know, when people talk about "North Raleigh" (as in, "North Raleigh is very nice") are they referring to the whole crescent area of the map between the 540 and 440 (N to S) and the 40 and 401 (W to E) or is it something much more specific? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 07:08 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Scottsdale, AZ.

Seriously, Brier Creek Country Club would fit that description - only 8 minutes from the airport (no plane noise) and a number of homes have pools. As well as the other amenities (and related costs) of a country club community.

Personally, I believe that where your jobs are located should be a major factor in where you buy.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:10 AM

Thank you Jkgourmet! I will check that one out.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:47 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Most people who speak of "North Raleigh" mean anywhere north of I-440 east of US-70 and west of US-1. Some of this isn't officially in the Raleigh city limits (areas north of I-540 between Leesville and Falls of Neuse) that is restricted to an average of 1 to 2 acres per lot due to proximity to Falls Lake. Barton's Grove off Peed Rd would fall in that area.

If you look in the area checking out Barton's Grove, check out some of the neighborhoods nearby with resales in the $550K and up range (Ethan's Glenn, Parker Falls, Mt Vernon Crossing, etc.) A few of the homes may already have a pool in the backyard, although they aren't very common in the Raleigh area.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:57 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
North Raleigh generally is the sweep from Capital Boulevard around west to Glenwood Avenue, and anything outside I-440 Beltline.
As you come further west, someone may tell you you are looking at W Raleigh or NW Raleigh.

Check out Olde Raleigh, which I think is one of the very best locations in the Triangle.
Very pretty neighborhood.
Easy access to RDU, DT Raleigh, I-40, PNC Arena, Medical care, mall shopping, parks and recreation.
Several homes have pools, and there is also community pool and tennis available.
https://maps.raleighnc.gov/imaps/?pin=0785588524

You can bust your budget and not have the most expensive house in the neighborhood, or easily come in below budget.
Closings in the last year have been from $610,000--- $1.98 million, with average closing at $867,000 and median about $817,000.
No plane noise from RDU.

Learn about RDU air traffic noise:
http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/vi...8.4935,35.9935
And:
http://198.1.119.239/~flyrduco/rduai...ctionGuide.pdf

Old 09-04-2016, 12:23 PM

Thank you RFB and MikeJaquish this is very helpful info!

Old 09-05-2016, 08:24 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
A million bucks can buy you a lot of "lifestyle" in the Raleigh area but it will still come with some tradeoffs. For example, while I completely agree with you about the ITB neighborhoods, it will be trickier to find the land and resort style backyard that you want. If you cast your line to the outer fringes, you are likely to check more of your boxes on the home and property but you give up proximity to downtown and the charm of an older neighborhood.
There are many fantastic choices in your price range but all of them will come with some sort of tradeoff. That said, you have so many options that it might make your head spin. You might even want to find a home with the land to build your resort style back yard. You can pick up quite a nice house for $850,000-$900,000 and dump a 100K into the project.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:04 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
If you can deal with Cary, look for a resale in Wessex. You can get a larger home for less and many have at least a half-acre yard, which should give you room for your pool project. Also? Easy access to 40, RTP, downtown Raleigh, and RDU airport.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:24 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
If you can deal with Cary, look for a resale in Wessex. You can get a larger home for less and many have at least a half-acre yard, which should give you room for your pool project. Also? Easy access to 40, RTP, downtown Raleigh, and RDU airport.
Wessex came to my mind immediately, but the covenants do not permit private swimming pools.
Too bad...

Old 09-05-2016, 10:15 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Wessex came to my mind immediately, but the covenants do not permit private swimming pools.
Too bad...
Ahhh. I did not realize that. That sucks. The lots could easily support them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary