Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 AM

9 posts, read 29,250 times

Advertisements

Can someone please recommend the best area to live in wake county with good schools and better commute to RTP? I moved to NC, Raleigh area last year from NJ. We are looking to buy a home and I am not sure which area is the best. I have 3 toddlers and I want them to go to the public school when it is time. I have been paying so much in private schools. I don't know much about wake county and I want to make sure we buy in the best area with good school ratings and commute to RTP is under 40 minutes. Any advice will help. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 06:05 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,781,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyv View Post
Can someone please recommend the best area to live in wake county with good schools and better commute to RTP? I moved to NC, Raleigh area last year from NJ. We are looking to buy a home and I am not sure which area is the best. I have 3 toddlers and I want them to go to the public school when it is time. I have been paying so much in private schools. I don't know much about wake county and I want to make sure we buy in the best area with good school ratings and commute to RTP is under 40 minutes. Any advice will help. Thank you in advance!
This is a spread out area with many nice places to live and plenty of good schools. The best place to start is to look at the Wake County school website if you are sticking to the Raleigh/Wake Forest area. If you are looking elsewhere, then look into the Durham County school, Orange County School, Johnston County school and Chapel Hill school websites. Then you can do a search on "schools" or "wake county schools" on this board, and you will find a plethora of facts, opinions, pontifications, ideas, complaints, and compliments on many of the schools and school systems in this area.

It would be hard to explain all of it in one post. If you have narrowed down an area or have a price range, it would be easier to give you some information.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
If you're looking solely in WF, HS, and Raleigh? Raleigh is the closest to RTP. HS is 2nd. WF is last.

Wake County has a countywide school system, so your question about "best schools" is tougher to answer.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:15 AM

54 posts, read 108,656 times
Quote:
A lot of people are asking the same question as you are, where is the best area to
live in Wake County in relation to good schools and commute times.

Years ago the answer to your question was easy, not so today at least in regards to
the school aspect.

My advice pick an area you really love that is within your commute time that you can
see raising your family in. Once you enter the WCPSS you do not have very much control
where you children will end up, period. Do not choose a neighborhood or house based
on the schools totally because there are no guarantees your children will go to those
WCPSS schools.

Whichever area you do choose there are private schools (even though I know you
mentioned you have been doing that and would prefer public) and home school if when
the time comes you do not want to be held hostage by WCPSS as far as where your
children are sent to school.

If you find the right area/house for your family all the other things have a way of working
themselves out. Good luck! Btw the commute from Wake Forest into RTP is not as impossible
as others on the board may have suggested. It depends on the time you leave and route
you take.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM

334 posts, read 867,330 times
Commute from Wake Forest to RTP? No thanks. Personally I would be looking at Cary,Morrisville, or Apex now that they have the toll road.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:17 PM

26 posts, read 33,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I know more Yankee transplants in Wake Forest than not. We moved from NJ 2.5 years ago, and it seems almost everybody I meet is from the northeastern part of the U.S. - New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, or Massachusetts.
Yankee transplant. I love it thanks. What do you think of the driving around there?

Old 01-25-2014, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,090 times
can anyone tell me how the neighbors and teenagers interact with each other, and if there are a lot of teens and kids in wake forest?
also when there are new comers that just move into neighborhoods, are they welcomed?

Old 10-20-2014, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,701 times
Hi,

Considering moving to Wake Forest, NC. Can anyone PLEASE tell me what the neighborhood is like? Is there a town you can walk to? Are the streets tree lined? Houses close to each other (a plus). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Susan

Old 10-20-2014, 02:37 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanb150 View Post
Hi,

Considering moving to Wake Forest, NC. Can anyone PLEASE tell me what the neighborhood is like? Is there a town you can walk to? Are the streets tree lined? Houses close to each other (a plus). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Susan
There are many neighborhoods in WF...almost all are tree filed....lot sizes vary...and yes we have a nice little downtown area...most of the town is very walkable....but you'll probably still have to drive to the grocery stores.....

Old 10-20-2014, 03:41 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,353,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
There are many neighborhoods in WF...almost all are tree filed....lot sizes vary...and yes we have a nice little downtown area...most of the town is very walkable....but you'll probably still have to drive to the grocery stores.....
A walkable downtown and a downtown you can walk to aren't the exact same thing. Most of the newer neighborhoods in Wake Forest aren't exactly close to the town proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary