Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 06:02 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times

Advertisements

Anybody know about this golf course in Wake Forest? While I can understand the concerns of homeowners who built around the course, I don't understand what it is they want. I mean I see how they would want to prevent the golf course owner from selling to developers, but I don't see how they can "force" him to operate the golf course and maintain the greens if he doesn't want too or can't afford to. I guess he could just decide not to sell the course and just raise llamas and emus on it!

Uncertainty Lingers Over Wake Forest Golf Course :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 08:10 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I showed a cute villa near this golf course, about a year ago. It was right about the time that this controversary was coming up. My client decided not to buy the villa. I'm glad he made that decision.

Its going to be an issue for those people that purchased their home and paid big bucks to live on a golf course and now the golf course may be going away.

Vicki

Old 02-14-2008, 08:38 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,809 times
I don't understand the issue after reading the article. Is it a golf coarse community or not? Did the people buy their property from the owner of the golf coarse? If the owner wants to sell the property why can't he? Why oh why does the town want to buy it and take over that liability with Wake Forest tax payers money for a select few? No question the area looks beautiful when you drive by or drive through a fairway to two but certainly their are many bogie's awaiting anyone that wants to sell or buy a house on the present golf coarse. Sounds like people are yelling FOUR followed by a WHAT on this issue.

How do other golf communities work? HOA's cover the cost of the coarse, right? Are these homeowners not paying for the coarse and only want the benefits?

Obviously I will need a mulligan or two to understand the issues here.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:16 PM

From what I understand...developer built the golf course and then built houses that back up to the golf course. Developer sold golf course to owner of golf course. Now owner says he isn't making money and wants to sell golf course to another developer to build houses.

Homeowners are unhappy as they paid alot of money for a "golf course" lot.

I would think there would be something in their covenants that the owner could only sell if the next owner kept it as a golf course too.

So the owner is having his attorney look for a loophole so that he can sell golf course.

Well, thats the way I understand it. I'm sure I don't have the entire story either.

Vicki

Old 02-14-2008, 09:16 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
I think the crux of the issue is that the land that the golf course sits on was zoned accordingly and people purchased land around it. The owner of the golf course wants to sell it to developers and have it rezoned for other purpose. Naturally, the property owners of homes around the golf course oppose that rezoning, since it will adversely affect their property values (and consequently, tax values).

No, a HOA usually doesn't cover the cost of the golf course. Usually the golf course is maintained from fees associated with joining the golf club, green fees, cart fees, etc.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:59 AM

188 posts, read 748,542 times
The golf course is independent and seperate- no connection to the HOA. If you live there you have to join the golf club. Since the club is privately owned, I don't see how the HOA has any say so, unless they want to make a bid to buy the course.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:16 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,175 times
My Father owns on a Golf coarse in Newbern and he pays amenity fees because he butts up to the fairway. The owner of the course wants the community to buy him out but he wants double the real value of the coarse and they have refused to buy him out . So he had some clause in the HOA that he could raise the amenities to whatever he wanted and he has done that and there now is a legal battle over all of it.( Fairfield Harbor) But only the houses on the coarse pay the fee not the other houses in the development and you still pay the full cost of the golf course to play.

Last edited by NC man; 02-15-2008 at 08:46 AM..

Old 02-15-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcp View Post
The golf course is independent and seperate- no connection to the HOA. If you live there you have to join the golf club. Since the club is privately owned, I don't see how the HOA has any say so, unless they want to make a bid to buy the course.
When my clients were considering buying the villa on the golf course, we knew the club was a private club. Therefore, they were not required to join the golf club.

When the golf course and the land was recorded in Wake County, it was specified that this was a golf course.

Legally, the issue is, can the owner now sell the course and turn it into more houses, because it is RECORDED and DEEDED as a golf course.

I'm sure the attornies are knee deep in this as there are many issues that the public isn't even aware of. If it were that easy...it would have been resolved a year ago!

Vicki

Old 03-06-2009, 06:49 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Looks like this golf course and the disgruntled neighbors are back in the news again.

Neighbors Protest Golf Course Development

Wake Forest homeowners: Knights, queens stay away

The golf course went out of business...

The neighbors don't want the land to be developed...

Now they are upset the owner has rented out the land for a festival....

Go figure!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:19 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
IINAL, and my opinion is just that of the common man, but I don't see how the homeowners have any say so in this matter. The golf course is privately owned. It was zoned as a commercial property. And now it's still a commercial property. The homeowners are discovering what everyone else who's ever owned a house knows -- you cannot control what happens to the property around your house unless you OWN that property or have something in a legal contract that gives you that right.

Sure they want it to stay pretty and green, but they have no inherent entitlement to dictate that to the property owner. If they want to control what happens on that land, they need to get together and buy it. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary