Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:50 PM

655 posts, read 917,728 times

Advertisements

Fight fire with fire when needed to get your point across. During the times they like it quiet, (I'm guessing when the kid is not playing drums) fire up the strereo and open the windows. If you have been a quiet neighbor for years and then suddenly start making noise, they will get the point.

Where I reside a family moved in with 8 kids, fine, but then their extended family came and then there was 15 kids living in one house. My front yard became a daycare. It almost made me go nuts, literally. I was taking medication to prevent from snapping. One day I had it, opened up all the windows, cranked up the stereo, super frigghen loud. Only had to do it once! They got the point! Im a VERY quiet all the time and keep to myself, so when they heard that, they knew why and the front yard daycare, ceased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,640 times
Default Loud Drums

[LEFT]I have a situation where the neighbors garage is within 20 feet of our living room downstairs, our daughters bedroom upstairs and our bedroom next to hers all on the same side of the house. Two months ago they purchased a drum set for their son after miserably failing at the trombone. He set up the drums in the garage and began to pound. No lessons of any kind, just pound away. The noise echoed through every room in our house. He would play for hours only taking short breaks and then start up again. My wife works out of our home so she is here most every day, all day. She was livid! She wanted to call the police immediately but I got online to see first what our rights were and how best to approach it. I found lots of helpful information but most suggested first to try and talk to your neighbors about the problem. That's what I did. They demanded I tell them a time that would be ok for him to practice but for that kind of noise there is no time that is appropriate. I asked them if they could try muffling them down with pillows or even moving them back into the house where at least there is insulation in the walls. The very next afternoon, not only did he start up again unchanged, but he had friends with loud guitars playing nothing that resembles music. So we called the police who informed us that there is no time of day when that kind of noise is permitted. Noises that are permitted between the hours of 7:00am and 10:00pm are lawn mowers, garden tools, chain saws or other power equipment used for building repair or ground maintenance. An officer showed up and told the boys that they were in violation and asked them to stop, which they did for the day. To wrap this up, the noise has frequently continued since then and came to a head last Friday when there was no school and he had the whole day at home without his parents. He started at 9:00am and played til 1:00pm. My wife called me at work and told me she spoke to the sheriffs office who encouraged her to report it again. She did. An officer showed up, spoke with the boy again. Then called us to tell us about the conversation he had. He also said if we were ready to file a victims report he would cite them. I asked him to wait until the next day after I could speak to the parents again and he agreed. However, they showed up at the door that night demanding to know if I called the police. I said yes and the conversation deteriorated from there if you know what I mean. I told them what the officer told us, They said I was lying, I said you can ask him for yourselves if you like. They said get him back out here. Sooo I did. Then I asked my neighbors of 12 years to get off my lawn, which after some more yelling they did. The officer showed up, they argued their sons rights with him, demanded his supervisors name, threatened to call the police over every little noise they hear from us. The rest is history. They did move him back into the house however, so that is something. The end result is suffer the noise or get your hands dirty. Pick your poison![/LEFT]

Old 10-11-2009, 06:48 PM

24 posts, read 65,928 times
I hope that didn't occur in Brookstone!!!!!

Old 10-12-2009, 01:41 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,178,258 times
Well, I'm glad I rent.

If anyone did this in our complex, they would either cease at once or become ex-residents.

Can't the all-powerful HOA's declare this improper and start patrolling with a decibel meter?

Old 10-12-2009, 02:50 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,773,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the unhappy neighbor View Post
I have a situation where the neighbors garage is within 20 feet of our living room downstairs, our daughters bedroom upstairs and our bedroom next to hers all on the same side of the house. Two months ago they purchased a drum set for their son after miserably failing at the trombone. He set up the drums in the garage and began to pound. No lessons of any kind, just pound away. The noise echoed through every room in our house. He would play for hours only taking short breaks and then start up again. My wife works out of our home so she is here most every day, all day. She was livid! She wanted to call the police immediately but I got online to see first what our rights were and how best to approach it. I found lots of helpful information but most suggested first to try and talk to your neighbors about the problem. That's what I did. They demanded I tell them a time that would be ok for him to practice but for that kind of noise there is no time that is appropriate. I asked them if they could try muffling them down with pillows or even moving them back into the house where at least there is insulation in the walls. The very next afternoon, not only did he start up again unchanged, but he had friends with loud guitars playing nothing that resembles music. So we called the police who informed us that there is no time of day when that kind of noise is permitted. Noises that are permitted between the hours of 7:00am and 10:00pm are lawn mowers, garden tools, chain saws or other power equipment used for building repair or ground maintenance. An officer showed up and told the boys that they were in violation and asked them to stop, which they did for the day. To wrap this up, the noise has frequently continued since then and came to a head last Friday when there was no school and he had the whole day at home without his parents. He started at 9:00am and played til 1:00pm. My wife called me at work and told me she spoke to the sheriffs office who encouraged her to report it again. She did. An officer showed up, spoke with the boy again. Then called us to tell us about the conversation he had. He also said if we were ready to file a victims report he would cite them. I asked him to wait until the next day after I could speak to the parents again and he agreed. However, they showed up at the door that night demanding to know if I called the police. I said yes and the conversation deteriorated from there if you know what I mean. I told them what the officer told us, They said I was lying, I said you can ask him for yourselves if you like. They said get him back out here. Sooo I did. Then I asked my neighbors of 12 years to get off my lawn, which after some more yelling they did. The officer showed up, they argued their sons rights with him, demanded his supervisors name, threatened to call the police over every little noise they hear from us. The rest is history. They did move him back into the house however, so that is something. The end result is suffer the noise or get your hands dirty. Pick your poison!
I commend you for standing up for your rights. In an era when 'it's all about me (and my kids)' more people need to "pick their poison" and stand up to those that allow their kids & pets to wreak havoc on others.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:37 PM

484 posts, read 1,368,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the unhappy neighbor View Post
[LEFT]I have a situation where the neighbors garage is within 20 feet of our living room downstairs, our daughters bedroom upstairs and our bedroom next to hers all on the same side of the house. Two months ago they purchased a drum set for their son after miserably failing at the trombone. He set up the drums in the garage and began to pound. No lessons of any kind, just pound away. The noise echoed through every room in our house. He would play for hours only taking short breaks and then start up again. My wife works out of our home so she is here most every day, all day. She was livid! She wanted to call the police immediately but I got online to see first what our rights were and how best to approach it. I found lots of helpful information but most suggested first to try and talk to your neighbors about the problem. That's what I did. They demanded I tell them a time that would be ok for him to practice but for that kind of noise there is no time that is appropriate. I asked them if they could try muffling them down with pillows or even moving them back into the house where at least there is insulation in the walls. The very next afternoon, not only did he start up again unchanged, but he had friends with loud guitars playing nothing that resembles music. So we called the police who informed us that there is no time of day when that kind of noise is permitted. Noises that are permitted between the hours of 7:00am and 10:00pm are lawn mowers, garden tools, chain saws or other power equipment used for building repair or ground maintenance. An officer showed up and told the boys that they were in violation and asked them to stop, which they did for the day. To wrap this up, the noise has frequently continued since then and came to a head last Friday when there was no school and he had the whole day at home without his parents. He started at 9:00am and played til 1:00pm. My wife called me at work and told me she spoke to the sheriffs office who encouraged her to report it again. She did. An officer showed up, spoke with the boy again. Then called us to tell us about the conversation he had. He also said if we were ready to file a victims report he would cite them. I asked him to wait until the next day after I could speak to the parents again and he agreed. However, they showed up at the door that night demanding to know if I called the police. I said yes and the conversation deteriorated from there if you know what I mean. I told them what the officer told us, They said I was lying, I said you can ask him for yourselves if you like. They said get him back out here. Sooo I did. Then I asked my neighbors of 12 years to get off my lawn, which after some more yelling they did. The officer showed up, they argued their sons rights with him, demanded his supervisors name, threatened to call the police over every little noise they hear from us. The rest is history. They did move him back into the house however, so that is something. The end result is suffer the noise or get your hands dirty. Pick your poison![/LEFT]
I can totally sympathize with your situation and especially with your Wife. You just described me! I sit at home working almost every day too from home and if I had to hear that kind of noise, I would go insane! It sounded like you handled things very well and I hope you don't have any more problems.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:44 PM

129 posts, read 336,748 times
Bob, I think I hate your neighbors! Ugh!!!

Old 02-14-2010, 01:17 AM

557 posts, read 1,354,205 times
Why parents do not buy their kids a practice pad set is beyond me. As a pro drummer and 22 years exp, it pains me to hear kids that just bang on a drum kit for the whole neighborhood to hear. Especialy with a garage door open!?? It's one thing during the day, in a sealed area, for a few hours a week. As a child I did that and the neighbors were very forgiving.
Tell the kid to practice on a pad and learn how to play his/her instrument before playing for the neighborhood.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:40 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,723,109 times
why of why why do people do this to their neighbors? I would have the Cary Police on speed dial . . I would go crazy.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:33 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,022,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriInNH View Post
Why parents do not buy their kids a practice pad set is beyond me. As a pro drummer and 22 years exp, it pains me to hear kids that just bang on a drum kit for the whole neighborhood to hear. Especialy with a garage door open!?? It's one thing during the day, in a sealed area, for a few hours a week. As a child I did that and the neighbors were very forgiving.
Tell the kid to practice on a pad and learn how to play his/her instrument before playing for the neighborhood.
These days electric drums are a very viable option too. You can play with headphones on, and it's quiet enough that someone can sleep through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary