Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 05:56 AM

33 posts, read 118,888 times

Advertisements

I am planning to visit the Cary Area next week with my family. We are trying to decide if we want to relocate to the area. I was hoping to have a meeting with someone in the Wake County Public Schools system regarding how they handle children with high functioning autism. Possibily visit a classroom or two?

Any information anyone has would be great.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 06:12 AM

10 posts, read 24,906 times
Default cary area and schools

the cary agent I PM'd you about said:

"Thank you so much for your referral. I live in the Davis/Salem school areas and would welcome the opportunity to help this person."

Let me know how it goes. I am interested in getting more information about the area too after your visit.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:25 AM

1 posts, read 6,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1987 View Post
I am planning to visit the Cary Area next week with my family. We are trying to decide if we want to relocate to the area. I was hoping to have a meeting with someone in the Wake County Public Schools system regarding how they handle children with high functioning autism. Possibily visit a classroom or two?

Any information anyone has would be great.

Thanks,
Hello,

We too are looking at relocating to the Cary area. I talked with a person in the special education department at the Wake County School Board. I essentially asked them what AU services or clusters were available and at which schools in Wake county. They simply would not tell me and said it was more complicated than that. I am also planning on having a meeting in person at some point in the future as well as visiting some of the schools. Were you able to find out any information regarding services in the schools for autistic children? My son is still very young and not of school age yet but I wanted to investigate what our options are prior to relocating. Any information or thoughts you have regarding your experience with Wake county special ed services would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Old 01-11-2007, 05:39 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taramike View Post
Hello,

We too are looking at relocating to the Cary area. I talked with a person in the special education department at the Wake County School Board. I essentially asked them what AU services or clusters were available and at which schools in Wake county. They simply would not tell me and said it was more complicated than that. I am also planning on having a meeting in person at some point in the future as well as visiting some of the schools. Were you able to find out any information regarding services in the schools for autistic children? My son is still very young and not of school age yet but I wanted to investigate what our options are prior to relocating. Any information or thoughts you have regarding your experience with Wake county special ed services would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
I believe, based on what people I have worked with told me, if you call a couple of the schools in the district that you are interested in, you can schedule appointments with the special needs coordinator at the schools. You need to call the school directly, tell them you are coming down to house hunt, that you have a child with ______, and could you talk with someone at the school while you are here. They had great success doing just that. PM me if you want more information.

Leigh

Old 01-11-2007, 06:56 AM

653 posts, read 2,986,475 times
I'm surprised they weren't more informative than "it's complicated"! My experience in Wake County as a regular ed teacher was wonderful - I had great support for my students with IEPs, and the programs at the school were very successful. Do you have a diagnosis yet, or are you planning on testing prior to moving here/when you get here? If there is no diagnosis in place already, or if you are not sure what level of service you may need, that may be why they hesitated to offer advice on services.

I recently spoke with the counselor at the school where I taught, and she said that the support is great county-wide, but if you need separate setting, it is not available in all schools. So, if your child is in the regular classroom, there will be support at every school, but if your child needs separate setting, the county will provide transportation to a school that offers it. That said, for convenience, you may want to actually live close to the school so that you don't have to drive across town for school functions or if something comes up. You should be able to find out which schools even have a separate setting classroom... with a better answer than "it's complicated."

Old 01-11-2007, 07:17 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,572 times
I was not pleased with Wake County's special education. It's the main reason we put our house up for sale and moved.
They do seem to have good programs for children with autism. However do keep in mind Wake County Schools are facing MASSIVE overcrowding problems. It's very iffy as to whether or not someone will get good services for their child.
If your child is not severely disabled, it is difficult to get services through the school system. My experience has been if your child is mild to moderately disabled, you're pretty much on your own.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:11 AM

35 posts, read 129,912 times
I called 4 schools in the Cary /Morrisville area to find about speech services as we are going to move from NH to NC and are looking for a school with good speech services. All the schools said that they would have the speech therapist call me. I have yet to receive a call and that was over a month ago!

Old 06-22-2007, 05:23 PM

7 posts, read 41,788 times
Default to the Cary wannabe

I'm not sure about Cary but I know in the Wake Co. area, there are many supports for children with disabilities. With school out for the summer, it might be a little harder to get someone to answer your questions - but hopefully you can find someone.
As a special ed teacher, all I can say is that I've been extremely pleased with the support that is offered to parents. Cary is bound to have some great programs for you!

Old 06-22-2007, 05:25 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPED T View Post
I'm not sure about Cary but I know in the Wake Co. area, there are many supports for children with disabilities. With school out for the summer, it might be a little harder to get someone to answer your questions - but hopefully you can find someone.
As a special ed teacher, all I can say is that I've been extremely pleased with the support that is offered to parents. Cary is bound to have some great programs for you!
Cary is part of the Wake County school district.

Last edited by Desdemona123; 06-22-2007 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: bad typing!

Old 06-22-2007, 05:43 PM

7 posts, read 41,788 times
My mistake, yes.. you're right! I'm just on the other side of the district!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary