Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 03:22 PM

548 posts, read 2,649,736 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I'm looking into the Emerson Waldorf school, and would love some feedback from people who know about it. I've looked at the website, but would really like some thoughts from real people!

Thanks,
Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 11:37 AM

14 posts, read 36,772 times
Default hi

wow not a lot of response eh ?

we are relocating to the triangle. our 5 girls were all at a waldorf school on cape cod for a bit and are now all at montessori.

our oldest shadowed at emerson last week. our other 4 went to montessori community.

do you have kids at emerson ? what do you think ?

thanks

Old 05-07-2009, 12:06 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,961,010 times
Interesting. I'd never heard of the place.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:37 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,509,866 times
My kids went there and went to summer camps there as well. I guess you know the philosophies and all that as you have experience with it. I personally find Montessori to be about as opposite a philosophy as one can have, so kind of feel like if you think Montessori is a good fit for your kids, then you probably will not find EWS to be a good fit.

As for EWS itself, I love it. I think Waldorf in general has so much to offer kids, and puts education back in an age appropriate, developmentally appropriate context. I also think you really have to believe in the process. I mean, you cannot compare your kids reading skills at age 7 with those of kids going to other schools. But in the end, by the time they finish high school, you have to believe that these kids will have a thirst for knowledge, and an ability to question and find answers on their own in ways those kids in other schools usually will not. It's all about believing in it. So if you really believe in the whole Waldorf approach, then yes, I think you will love EWS. I know I do.

One other thing worth mentioning is the people who send their kids there. They do tend to be a certain "type", let's say. Very crunchy, earthy, and in some ways disconnected to mainstream culture. There is a deep, very supportive community you would become part of, but it's a very very different crowd than most of the Triangle. We are not super touchy-feely, earthy people, but do believe in Waldorf. So I would have to say that although I always felt welcomed and supported in the community, I never really felt like I was totally a part of it. It was a little too "out there" for me. And I do own a tv and my kids sometimes watched it. I didn't love feeling like I was really screwing up and feeling guilty every time I let them watch something, but it is so loathed there, that's how I felt. You have to sign something saying your kids will have zero screen time, and so I always felt like I was going to get in trouble when they found out my kids did watch some. And most kids there do not watch any, so it's not like you sign that and then everyone goes and lets their kids watch tv anyway.

I don't know if that's helpful at all, but let me know if you have any other questions.

Oh, just a quick point about Montessori vs. EWS. So, in Montessori (where my kids went before EWS), they believe each child progresses at their own pace and they support that progression. So kids who are 8 could be doing the same work as kids who are 12. At EWS, they do not believe in this at all. So, for instance, I asked what EWS does about "gifted" or even "advanced" children. Their response was that children who are strong in one area are most likely weak in another area, so rather than continue to work further and harder in the strong area, thereby continuing to ignore the weak area, their approach is to do nothing with the child in their strong area, beyond what is done in the classroom, and to focus on that child's weak area (which could be music or dance or large motor skill development or math or whatever). A completely and totally different approach than Montessori. There are many other differences too, but that one jumped out at me.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
As for EWS itself, I love it. I think Waldorf in general has so much to offer kids, and puts education back in an age appropriate, developmentally appropriate context. I also think you really have to believe in the process. I mean, you cannot compare your kids reading skills at age 7 with those of kids going to other schools. But in the end, by the time they finish high school, you have to believe that these kids will have a thirst for knowledge, and an ability to question and find answers on their own in ways those kids in other schools usually will not.
Your statement triggered a thought (sorry if this wasn't the point you were trying to make.)

I've had a couple of friends who sent their kids to private schools, but later decided to put them in public school in Chapel Hill. In both instances, the parents were horrified to find that, especially in math, their kids were well behind where the public school kids were - even though they'd been in what they thought was a rigorous, homework intensive school.

I'm not suggesting the private schools were bad - they were just working at a different pace, so the transition into public school mid-stream was difficult. It almost seems like you have to commit to one path or the other all the way through.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
One other thing worth mentioning is the people who send their kids there. They do tend to be a certain "type", let's say. Very crunchy, earthy, and in some ways disconnected to mainstream culture. T
So these folks are "weird," even by Chapel Hill standards. Yikes! It takes a lot to stand out in that crowd.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
So these folks are "weird," even by Chapel Hill standards. Yikes! It takes a lot to stand out in that crowd.
I don't know. I find Chapel Hill folks to be totally normal/professional/well educated, etc. The EWS crowd though, they're just kind of....like a stereotypical Boulder, CO type of person (where Waldorf thrives and there are several). I totally respect their views and in fact agree with most of them, but there's a kind of conformity in their non-conformity if that makes sense, which I just am not part of..

Old 05-07-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Your statement triggered a thought (sorry if this wasn't the point you were trying to make.)

I've had a couple of friends who sent their kids to private schools, but later decided to put them in public school in Chapel Hill. In both instances, the parents were horrified to find that, especially in math, their kids were well behind where the public school kids were - even though they'd been in what they thought was a rigorous, homework intensive school.

I'm not suggesting the private schools were bad - they were just working at a different pace, so the transition into public school mid-stream was difficult. It almost seems like you have to commit to one path or the other all the way through.
Exactly. A lot of folks look at their kids in 3rd grade and want them to be doing the hardest math they can. If they aren't, they are not pleased. If they find that their private school math is not as "hard" as the public, they are ticked off. Which is why people need to ask all these questions about school before choosing one!

So in Waldorf education there is no formal teaching of reading until age 7. None. So if you move your child to public school at age 8 or 9, heck yeah, they will be behind in reading. But if you keep them in Waldorf, the Waldorf kids end up, by middle school, being ahead in reading. Age 7 was the standard age for teaching reading in many countries until fairly recently, when everyone got this my kids can read earlier than your kid thing going. In many countries which ultimately kick the U.S.' rear end in education (Finland for one), reading is still not started until age 7. Research over and over shows starting earlier is more likely frustrate kids resulting in not liking reading later. It also shows that even those kids who are "ready" at age 4 to read, are no further ahead by middle school than those whose parents believed kids should be playing out in nature at age 4, and not reading, and didn't start them til age 7. No long term advantage basically. There are many things like this in Waldorf. Many parents don't agree with the philosophy, for sure, which is why you have to look carefully beforehand, but then stick with it!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:01 PM

130 posts, read 391,010 times
didn't read the other posters comments

The two most out of control kids I have ever seen in my entire life are products of the place and their parent is a very involved parent there. That little tidbit alone speaks volumes about the place and what is "normal" there. I once watched her boys destroying private property in her view and she thought they were 'expressing themselves" I'm not kidding----no matter how cliche it sounds---she said it----till the owner went ballastic on her and them. She could have run for mayor of Carrboro if they had caught it all on video.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BZee2Pee View Post
didn't read the other posters comments

The two most out of control kids I have ever seen in my entire life are products of the place and their parent is a very involved parent there. That little tidbit alone speaks volumes about the place and what is "normal" there. I once watched her boys destroying private property in her view and she thought they were 'expressing themselves" I'm not kidding----no matter how cliche it sounds---she said it----till the owner went ballastic on her and them. She could have run for mayor of Carrboro if they had caught it all on video.

Good luck!
That's a ridiculous way to judge a school. I am fairly certain you could find an out of control student in every school in this country. I am not saying EWS is for everyone. At all. However, if you were to go to EWS and speak with the middle and high school children, you would most likely be very impressed. They are very well spoken, they are very confident, and they act a lot older than their age. I say that having spoken to many many older children there.

Again, I would not recommend EWS for everyone, and I think it's entirely reasonable to hold different educational views from those of EWS, but judging an entire school on one child/parent is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary