Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 05:09 AM

38 posts, read 61,389 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at off campus housing and wondering about the difference in price. It appears that housing close to NC state is cheaper than Chapel Hill. Im referring to single family homes only. Is close to campus not as desirable when going to NC state because students rather live closer to down town Raleigh? Is it that In chapel hill one can live close to Franklin street and this is why the housing prices are expensive? I'm somewhat new to this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 05:42 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,069,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooi View Post
Is close to campus not as desirable when going to NC state because students rather live closer to down town Raleigh? Is it that In chapel hill one can live close to Franklin street and this is why the housing prices are expensive? I'm somewhat new to this area.
Students are not the only renters of housing. Chapel Hill is generally a more desirable community and it has an excellent school system for families.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:12 AM

556 posts, read 947,219 times
Chapel Hill is also smaller, and has a more competitive real estate market that Raleigh with fewer homes on the market at any time. Property values in Chapel Hill are generally higher than Raleigh when looking at Raleigh as a whole. There are sections of Raleigh and Wake County with values that rival Chapel Hill in terms of property value, but those areas are generally not where students from NCSU live. The difference in property values between the two communities is not a reflection of desirability for students. It's really a reflection of the ratio of students to houses.

Based on you posting history, it's pretty clear to me that you are looking for investment properties to rent to students. That's fine, nothing wrong with that. I don't think anyone here will judge, but we can give you better and more honest answers if you are honest about your intentions. I have a hard time believing that someone who is looking for a house to live in and rent out extra rooms is equally interested in Chapel Hill, Raleigh, and Mebane.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:18 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,899,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
Chapel Hill is also smaller, and has a more competitive real estate market that Raleigh with fewer homes on the market at any time. Property values in Chapel Hill are generally higher than Raleigh when looking at Raleigh as a whole. There are sections of Raleigh and Wake County with values that rival Chapel Hill in terms of property value, but those areas are generally not where students from NCSU live. The difference in property values between the two communities is not a reflection of desirability for students. It's really a reflection of the ratio of students to houses.
This is an excellent answer.

Keep in mind...Olds Elementary School in Raleigh is a highly desirable school, so families do fight with students in that school district for affordable housing. Keeps the property values up.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:49 AM

38 posts, read 61,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
Based on you posting history, it's pretty clear to me that you are looking for investment properties to rent to students. That's fine, nothing wrong with that. I don't think anyone here will judge, but we can give you better and more honest answers if you are honest about your intentions. I have a hard time believing that someone who is looking for a house to live in and rent out extra rooms is equally interested in Chapel Hill, Raleigh, and Mebane.
I'm looking at housing for myself and for investment. Raleigh is not a good choice for me like you said but I can consider it. I'm still learning the area and wanted to ask the question for people who are more experienced about living here. Orange county and Alamance are all considerations. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary