Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 04:16 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,212 times

Advertisements

I know I'm a bit behind the times on this, but I recently heard of the re-upping of the Wendell Falls development. There seem to be some concerns, some excitement and a bit of skepticism because of the years-long delay (including a bankruptcy by the first developer). I'm not from Wendell, nor do I live there now but it's an interesting situation and I thought the good people of the CD forums might have some insights, ideas and opinions on it regarding how it will effect Wendell, the surrounding area, traffic or whatever else you might think of.

For a little background and reference:

WENDELL: Developer pays $34 million to buy Wendell Falls residential project from bank | Real Estate | NewsObserver.com

Wendell Falls Project - Town of Wendell

WENDELL: Wendell commissioners concerned Wendell Falls will create 2 distinct towns | Wake County | NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 04:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
That's interesting. I think the town should be concerned that residents would stay within the development and/or go to Knightdale for big box shopping. It's quite likely.

Then again, I have always found downtown Wendell more attractive than downtown Zebulon. I don't know why, but when I was growing up, Wendell always had a better "vibe" to it. I cannot put my finger on it, but I'd say that if one could figure out how to develop downtown Wendell as an attraction for people who lived in a large-scale development nearby, it could really turn the town around. It's certainly more attractive than downtown Knightdale, which never really had much of a downtown to begin with.

Just my 2 cents having grown up down that way as a wee kid.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:10 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,725 times
We are all excited about it. Traffic should be fine with the new bypass nearby. We don't have traffic issues in this area anymore since the bypass was built. This is one of things I love about living here. I can run an errand and be back in a few minutes.

The first developer got hit during the downturn, timing was off. Many of us in this area and local business owners are in support of the project. It's maybe 10 minutes from my home and I am 5 minutes from Knightdale shops - Kohls, etc.. So residents, I think, will feel like part of both Wendell and Knightdale communities.

As to your last link, no worries about the two town thing. I think they are overthinking this. The free market will provide additional amenities if they see the demand is there. Wendell leadership should continue their support of the project and realize that times have changed and this is a growth opportunity for them.

There's much I've picked up through the course of my work that I think is inappropriate for me to comment on here. I will say that if the project ends up being what I think it will be, it will be a game changer for the area. And will draw new residents to Eastern Wake Co that may have once moved to Wake Forest, Cary, Holly Springs, etc. I know also that many high level professionals who live outside the triangle have been waiting to look at homes in the Falls.

I commute to Durham and cannot add more time to my commute. However, if it were not for this, I would certainly be interested in a home there.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
That's interesting. I think the town should be concerned that residents would stay within the development and/or go to Knightdale for big box shopping. It's quite likely.

Then again, I have always found downtown Wendell more attractive than downtown Zebulon. I don't know why, but when I was growing up, Wendell always had a better "vibe" to it. I cannot put my finger on it, but I'd say that if one could figure out how to develop downtown Wendell as an attraction for people who lived in a large-scale development nearby, it could really turn the town around. It's certainly more attractive than downtown Knightdale, which never really had much of a downtown to begin with.

Just my 2 cents having grown up down that way as a wee kid.
Agree on Knightdale "downtown". However, it's a huge stretch for us to say it has a downtown as there are a just a few streets built up around the train tracks. However, this will change. There are long term plans for this. First, the town of Knightdale just built the park off First Ave. They will be adding an amphitheater, with a YMCA planned for there as well as new homes community that will border it. In 5 years you won't recognize it!

I love the cozy feel of Wendell downtown. While smaller, there is more to it than Knightdale's downtown as it looks like Wendell has a higher concentration of older homes on and just off the main drag.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Agree on Knightdale "downtown". However, it's a huge stretch for us to say it has a downtown as there are a just a few streets built up around the train tracks. However, this will change. There are long term plans for this. First, the town of Knightdale just built the park off First Ave. They will be adding an amphitheater, with a YMCA planned for there as well as new homes community that will border it. In 5 years you won't recognize it!

I love the cozy feel of Wendell downtown. While smaller, there is more to it than Knightdale's downtown as it looks like Wendell has a higher concentration of older homes on and just off the main drag.
Yeah... Wendell once had a thriving downtown. That accounts for the older homes all around it. Downtown Knightdale was really just a stopover for farmers and the like. It's quite interesting. I love the feel of the DT area in Wendell and always hoped they'd revive it.

My great-grandfather owned a restaurant in downtown Wendell many years ago (1950s, or thereabouts). It was very popular. My mom and my grandma tell great stories about it. Did big business when Wendell was a tobacco town.

I am glad they're building up the "downtown" area of Knightdale. That should be nice for the residents. I lived in a nice, older home in DT Knightdale (needed renovating) circa 1987... also, I lived DT in Knightdale for about a year circa 1996 or so. I forget exactly.

I recall my 2nd time downtown in K-dale was a winter where we had ice for a couple of weeks because I got trapped in my house and the fire department had to come and thaw out the door.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
We are all excited about it. Traffic should be fine with the new bypass nearby. We don't have traffic issues in this area anymore since the bypass was built. This is one of things I love about living here. I can run an errand and be back in a few minutes.

The first developer got hit during the downturn, timing was off. Many of us in this area and local business owners are in support of the project. It's maybe 10 minutes from my home and I am 5 minutes from Knightdale shops - Kohls, etc.. So residents, I think, will feel like part of both Wendell and Knightdale communities.

As to your last link, no worries about the two town thing. I think they are overthinking this. The free market will provide additional amenities if they see the demand is there. Wendell leadership should continue their support of the project and realize that times have changed and this is a growth opportunity for them.

There's much I've picked up through the course of my work that I think is inappropriate for me to comment on here. I will say that if the project ends up being what I think it will be, it will be a game changer for the area. And will draw new residents to Eastern Wake Co that may have once moved to Wake Forest, Cary, Holly Springs, etc. I know also that many high level professionals who live outside the triangle have been waiting to look at homes in the Falls.

I commute to Durham and cannot add more time to my commute. However, if it were not for this, I would certainly be interested in a home there.
Trust me, if it turned out very well, I would be tempted to live out there again if I didn't have to drive to RTP.

I loved eastern Wake as a kid... beautiful country. It just stayed sluggish down there while the rest of Wake developed rapidly. It would be great to see the county more balanced, I guess you could say. I bet that if that happened, we'd see the school system finally split due to size. Which would be okay if you had a more diverse population spread throughout the county.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:41 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
What schools would this development (likely) feed into? If they are good I see promise, if they are subpar I see that and the longer commute times to RTP holding it back while better options compete for the same pool of buyers.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
What schools would this development (likely) feed into? If they are good I see promise, if they are subpar I see that and the longer commute times to RTP holding it back while better options compete for the same pool of buyers.
I would think they'd need new schools for a development this size. RaleighLass might know more about that, though.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I would imagine the initial plan would be to use the newish Lake Myra Elementary at Falls, and nearby East Wake & Wendell MS & HS's, and possibly Knightdale HS as well as some Kdale K-5 schools.

Many Schools here are in transition due to parents and local leadership pleading their case with WCPSS for more attention and resources. WCPSS is listening. We have STEM programs now in place, with team centric parent/teacher support system for all kids if they want the help. There is a Spanish immersion K-5 about to happen at Hodge Rd.. This school has many first generation Spanish speakers, it will be interesting to see if scores improve. Check out the latest stats for Forestville Rd elementary school There are some private schools here and one or two Charter schools being added.

Not that you asked, but for the record here are my thoughts on schools in this area (and WCPSS). I share hoping to add perspective for prospective newcomers. I have seen so much change since the 80's in the triangle (Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville, Clayton, Holly Springs, Apex, etc). There were areas of the triangle that are now hot, that many CD posters are rabid about, including their schools, that were once looked at the way Eastern Wake Co is viewed by some unenlightened folks. I admit that some of those areas I would never have considered living in and certainly wouldn't have sent my kids to their schools. I know now I was wrong. My kids would have been fine. Yet, new folks moved into these communities, enriched the area, trusted the schools, and by doing so, added value in terms of bringing in bright, high scoring, prepared students with supportive parents. I know that they brought up the schools' scores. I believe this, and dedicated teachers is what makes a great school! So, what we need more of in Eastern Wake is prepared students, supportive parents and continued support of WCPSS. We have the schools and a good number of prepared, supported students who score high. But we have a larger number of students who need help, they aren't motivated to do well. With the new programs and options in this area, and only with the influx of higher income individuals, will you see scores continue to rise until the schools' scores are the same as the so called other highly rated schools in WCPSS.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yeah... Wendell once had a thriving downtown. That accounts for the older homes all around it. Downtown Knightdale was really just a stopover for farmers and the like. It's quite interesting. I love the feel of the DT area in Wendell and always hoped they'd revive it.

My great-grandfather owned a restaurant in downtown Wendell many years ago (1950s, or thereabouts). It was very popular. My mom and my grandma tell great stories about it. Did big business when Wendell was a tobacco town.

I am glad they're building up the "downtown" area of Knightdale. That should be nice for the residents. I lived in a nice, older home in DT Knightdale (needed renovating) circa 1987... also, I lived DT in Knightdale for about a year circa 1996 or so. I forget exactly.

I recall my 2nd time downtown in K-dale was a winter where we had ice for a couple of weeks because I got trapped in my house and the fire department had to come and thaw out the door.
Interesting about your grandparents! If I had the time/energy, I would open a nice restaurant either in d/t Wendell or Kdale. I love the older homes in both downtowns. Looked at buying there before I bought my current house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary